Note to New Members ×

Madd is Much Better than Burton.

John Gilmour

John,

I have seen 12 Madds with my own eyes. 1 is a prototype of the alpine decks, and 1 is a freeride board, so I won't count those.

Of the 10 production Madds, 100% of them are börked in some way. Edges have pulled out, bases have delamed, the cf topsheet has delamed, and inserts have broken free and just started spinning. This is not a very good record.

There was also the issue of the messed up graphics. Accidents do happen, so it's fine by me if a couple of topsheets are börked during production (although, this doesn't seem to happen to Donek, Coiler, Prior, Burton, F2, Volkl.....). The problem came from the cult-like response to people posting here about the shoddy customer service they got, and how they were pissed that they weren't told about the screw-up until they opened the box. "You need to work this out with Madd before you let anyone know something bad happened." If we followed that logic, nobody here would be complaining about Burton Race Plates, right? A call to Burton is all it takes to get those broken bails fixed.

Have I knocked any of the technical aspects of the boards? No. Have I knocked how they ride? No - they ride great, but they are not God's own alpine board. Have I knocked the graphics? No - I actually think it's awesome. The price? Nope - it's essentially in line with the competition.

Now, John, before anybody thinks you're just another satisfied customer who feels the Madds are the most bestest things evAr, why don't you tell us all what your relationship to these boards is.

lol.

My relationship isn't just with Madd, it's with the Madd riders.

What it really comes down to is that classic "chick question" that guys hate to talk about......

the " How was yooooour day?' question.

Which in most cases I dread.

Unless....I've been out carving.

If you can answer the "how was yooooour dayy?"

question...... eagerly....then you are riding a great board.

________

Easy Vape

I'm going to give John the benefit of the doubt and assume that was all meant to be humorous in some strange, probably cox-2 inhibitor induced way. I guess.

I've never ridden an old Madd, so I can't argue with those claims. However I can unequivocally say that my Madd 170 is ONE OF the most fun boards I've ever ridden. The impressive thing is that in year one, Madd has climbed out of the where-are-they-now file and is instantly right back in the hunt with the best in the business. Performance-wise, at least. Aesthetically, yes, they are not there yet. And that's a big "yet". The 180 protos at the SES were a big improvement in that deptartment.

As for reliability, I think that is coming soon, if it hasn't already been solved. The difference here is that we've all been invited to participate in the prototyping and beta testing process, which would normally be a private thing. John has outed me - yes, my previous 170 had the cf wing delam. But it was warranteed reasonably promptly, and the new board is holding up.

Ducati is a classic marque that fell out of style (too long, too slow, too heavy, too low quality) in the 70's and 80's then started to climb out of mediocrity by offering higher build quality and developing new technology (at least for them). It took YEARS of development with the hardcore sticking with them through years of breaking and not quite getting it right but with an obvious development curve that people who know could see that things were getting better.

It's Madd's first year back in the real world and it perhaps is the equivalent of the 851 (a good bike that MIGHT compare with the Japanese fours and with potential but not quite there). Time will only tell if they can reach the 916 world or even that of the 888. First time out is pretty hard to get perfect WITH ANYTHING.

Scuse the bike stuff, I haven't bee on the Guzzi since November and have been able to get only minimal days on the snow...

Open your mind. Something good might fall in....:cool:

The stripes vs. midgets thing was hilarious, as was the desk=warranty thing.

But one serious question:

What's the base material on the new Madds? Is it that same speckled stuff that doesn't ever get gouged and holds wax for a decade? (OK, that was 2 questions)

I need that stuff! I like going up high on banks, and that's where the rocks live.

I really want people who own boards to voice their genuine concerns.

BTW- no brass in my knee- just kidding. and of course sidecuts don't make boards the same.

Madd is just a brand. Madd is really about the customer who rides a Madd. Madd IS its loyal customers. A brand is a GREAT brand if it seems like it has a cult following.

About the Midget.

You know you have arrived in the 21st century when you hang in the company of Midgets. We were just ahead of our time. Kid Rock, and Bam just copied our style.

________

Top Penny Stocks

Originally posted by Mike Tokar

The stripes vs. midgets thing was hilarious, as was the desk=warranty thing.

But one serious question:

What's the base material on the new Madds? Is it that same speckled stuff that doesn't ever get gouged and holds wax for a decade? (OK, that was 2 questions)

I need that stuff! I like going up high on banks, and that's where the rocks live.

I think they are looking at some new samples- last time I spoke with mike. Could be in the works.

________

RGV500

Originally posted by RJ-PS

John,

That was the strangest post I've seen in a long time. Switch to single malt please.

RJ

ahh... mission accomplished.

Anyhow ethan and bob- I'm up for some riding. Can I try your Madd? I'll let you take a few runs on a 158- then you'll know how it works your legs.

________

Yamaha rd56 history

but I have a stack of boards that you can ride coiler AM 173 20 cm waist, coiler PRC 190 20cm waist

and a really stiff prior WCR 185 this is probably what I will be on, I want to ride it in better conditions than the last time I was out this board really interests based on the first night I rode it

it should be fun it has allot of pop

For those who can't identify sarcasm- this thread is supposed to be sarcastic. It mostly is to look worse than other people when they are negative about something- so people can see how they appear in postings such as these.

Madd worse than Burton.....like is that even possible?

Of course I love Madd- and of course I like ANYONE who rides it.

Best part is- Madd is through the most difficult part of starting up again. So as things go on- things should only get better.

Now I'm off to go pick up my 170....which is the LAST board to be picked up from PTC. And true to protocol- its a blem- a thin ground blem (like I always get)- and I'll ride it proudly as always. Get some soul into the slopes.

________

Love stories forums

JG, In the wake of HST's passing.....truly a brilliant report. Maddness = Genius ?http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/02/22/after_thompsons_suicide_attorney_saw_clues/ If one of Hunter S. Thompson's last wishes comes true, the body of the late maverick journalist will be cremated this week and his ashes blasted from a cannon across his sprawling ranch in Woody Creek, Colo. RIP HST

Woody Creek Tavern - a must see watering hole just west of Aspen.

From the Aspen Daily News . . .

2/23/05

Report: Thompson requested loud send-off

By Troy Hooper/Aspen Daily News Staff Writer

text -

It turns out the dean of gonzo isn't through holding class.

One of Hunter S. Thompson's last wishes was to have his cremated body blasted out of a cannon onto his property at Owl Farm, George Tobia Jr., an East Coast entertainment lawyer who has represented the author for the past 15 years, told the Boston Globe this week.

Friends of Thompson confirmed the wish to the Aspen Daily News on Tuesday, although one source said there are discussions under way that could be even "more exciting" than what the Boston Globe reported. Details, however, were unavailable.

Other pilot discussions are underway to commemorate his life's work.

Meanwhile, a commemoration for Thompson's close friends and family has been scheduled on March 5 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Belly Up nightclub in Aspen, a.k.a. Fat City - the name The Good Doctor initially prescribed to owner Michael Goldberg. A family spokesman said, "You know who you are" if you should attend.

A public celebration of Thompson's life is planned for early this summer.

No suicide note was found in the kitchen of Owl Farm where Thompson shot a .45-calliber into his head at about 5:42 p.m. Sunday and instantly died, according to Sheriff Bob Braudis, who said he had "zero" inkling his good friend was on the verge of killing himself in discussions the two had in recent weeks.

But in the Boston Globe report, Thompson's attorney said preparations were being made.

"This was definitely not spur of the moment," Tobia said. "He arranged to have things dealt with, and he wanted his family close by, but he didn't want anyone to know - he didn't want anyone to try to stop him."

During the last few years of his life, Thompson, 67, suffered from a mounting list of ailments that included breaking a leg in Hawaii during a trip to his hotel suite's mini-bar, coping with an artificial hip and spinal surgery. Even so, the "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" author remained mostly upbeat with his friends.

But, as his books and his neighbors can attest, Thompson's personality was volatile.

"He came up to the house a few times when I was sleeping and left things to scare me," said Grammy-winning musician Jimmy Ibbotson, who lives up the road from Owl Farm, and is known for creating his own wild stories. "He left what looked like a human foot in front of my door. It was fake, but I was scared to death."

As a budding writer, Thompson deeply admired Ernest Hemingway, who fatally shot himself in 1961 at his home in Ketchum, Idaho, at the age of 62. Hemingway's death clearly echoed in the minds of those familiar with Thompson's writings.

"The strength of his youth became rigidity as he grew older. He was an old, sick, and very troubled man," Thompson wrote in a piece entitled "What Drew Hemingway to Ketchum."

"The illusion of peace and contentment was not enough for him," wrote Thompson. "So, finally, and for what he must have thought the best of reasons, he ended it with a shotgun."

Thompson's body was cremated in Glenwood Springs on Tuesday. The day before, his son, Juan Thompson, 40, placed a CD of favorite songs that Hunter had edited and titled: "Where were you when the fun stopped?" in back of the hearse that carried him to Farnum Holt Funeral Home. The playlist included songs by Warren Zevon, a longtime friend and political ally of Thompson who died of cancer last year.

Zevon once discussed his relationship with Thompson to VH1.

"The first exchange we ever had was about 10 years ago, when my daughter and I arrived in Aspen. I said, 'Dr. Thompson, I've got the most terrible headache you can ever imagine. I don't know what to do at this altitude.' He said, 'Acid.'"