Note to New Members ×

My 3rd day on hardboots

cin

Hi everyone,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for all the tips I got in the topics I created before my holiday in Austria. I was aiming for carving one or two turns this holiday, and then probably switching back to my softboot setup. But I loved the control on the hardboots so much that I ended up riding my entire holiday that way.

Here's a short clip of me attempting to carve some turns. Bear with me, it's only been my 3rd day on this setup after softbooting for 10+ years. I know I should be lower towards the snow, and could be way more aggressive, but this was for me a huge achievement and way more than I hoped for when I started on the newbie-slope two days before. Especially since this run made me realize I enjoyed the hardboot setup more than any softboot setup that I've been on in the years before.

So yeah, this is basically a big THANKS to everyone on this forum. Read lots before I went, practiced lots of J-turns on the baby-slope, and here is part of the results. :D

PS:

UPZ RC10 (2012 model), Kessler Alpine 171 with F2 RT bindings. I also did 3 turns on a 163 F2 Speedster GTS but it was too flexible for my likings.

• Like 4

That looks really great!  Your heelside looks pretty good, no counter rotation! You keep your body (shoulders & hips) facing forward. You can improve the power on your toeside by reaching down towards the board with your left arm or trying to keep you right hand up. When your doing it correctly your shoulders stay close to level with the hill.

Then try working on weighting and un-weighting, coming down into the board as your edge engages and straightening up (unweighting) to release the edge as you come into the transition, and then drop into the next turn. This is usually a subtle motion, but it helps to exaggerate it in the beginning to get the feeling.

This stuff isn't that important on perfect snow and easy slopes, but comes into play on steep and/or icy hills, so is good to practice on the easy slopes.

There's a classified forum on here, where you can list that pointless softboot stuff... ;-)

Congrats on getting hooked - for many folks, myself included, getting back on anything other than a carving board sort of brings up the realization that hardbooting is really where the heart and pure joy is at! :-)

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words guys.

It's a shame I don't live close to any mountains (the Netherlands is known for its flatness lol), but I will be training indoors once a month until I get back into the snow next year! :cool:
Also, will be reading and posting here obviously.

Still can't really believe how much of a blast it was to be on that board. And how comfy it was too, had no pressure points at all after 4 full days on the slopes with those UPZ's.. Such fun!

31 minutes ago, Aracan said:

Just out of curiosity: Where in Austria were you?

The overall area is call Silvretta Montafon. That particular slope is in the Gargellen area within Montafon.

It's a very nice, rather flat and wide blue slope. This video was taken in the last week of low season (idk if that's what it's called.. it means that most people are expected AFTER that week), so it was really really quiet there as you can see.