Note to New Members ×

Gecko Plate Bumper and Setup Questions

barryj

Got a set of Geckos now - Thanks again RJ! - and it came with yellow/medium  bumpers installed....along with a full set of the standard red/hard bumpers.

You guys that have used them got any suggestions on which bumpers to start with?   Start with all yellow/medium bumpers at beginning of season  then later in the season when I got my legs back mix in the red/hard bumpers in the middle of the plate and still use medium/yellow bumpers on the outside edge of the plate- like the photo -   Or Just Start All Red??

image.png.7f5893187cf318e49a5ae9bebffee913.png

......also did you set up the plates symmetrical or asymmetrical???    

I've been riding gecko's since the begining and I have mutliple sets.  I have tried multiple configuration and I don't see much different when using yellow bumpers in the end like your pictures.   Using them asymetrical seems to give good results for me.   Try different configuration and take notes, see what works for you. 

Thanks guys...............

Ernie,

My Geckos did not come with any instructions and I haven't seen anything on youtube but the very basic of setup or changing bumpers.  Ernie so you prefer all yellow or all red bumpers?  you regular or goofy??  Not sure of how to set them up asymmetrical, could you send me some photos of your setups.   

For decades in the ski and alpine snowboarding industries, the quest was to reduce or eliminate the "dead spot" under the boot/binding - where the boot/binding prevents the ski/board from flexing.  The Apex plate reached that holy grail by eliminating the dead spot altogether, and the results speak for themselves.  I tried the Gecko only briefly, but as far as I can tell the Gecko expands the dead spot!  What am I missing?? :confused:

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

For decades in the ski and alpine snowboarding industries, the quest was to reduce or eliminate the "dead spot" under the boot/binding - where the boot/binding prevents the ski/board from flexing.  The Apex plate reached that holy grail by eliminating the dead spot altogether, and the results speak for themselves.  I tried the Gecko only briefly, but as far as I can tell the Gecko expands the dead spot!  What am I missing?? :confused:

My thoughts exactly.  I put Geckos on my Coiler, bindings on top of the geckos and hand flexed the board and then was puzzled. :confused:  I put the boiler plate back on and flexed the board and I was all smiles again. :biggthump

I think the Geckos may be useful in stiffening up a board that is too soft on the mid section.  The fingers are really stiff and provide a lot of resistance to flex.  If the board was stiff enough in torsion, one could really stiffen up the mid section by running radically asymmetric gecko plates

If they made longer Geckos that spanned from just in front of the front binding to just behind the rear binding, you could call it the Gecko Integrated System for Tuning.  Or GIST for short.  It's a carbon VIST! 

No intelligent input here, just a pun.  I had a chance to try them but didn't.  I don't want more weight or height for 99% of my riding.