Note to New Members ×

Any insider tip to Powder Ridge summer ski/snowboarding?

pow4ever

Very interesting!  I saw some guys out in Japan had some special PureBoarding boards made with stainless steel strips along the edge for enhanced durability on artificial slopes.  Looking forward to seeing how this pans out!

• 1 month later...

I'm only 40 minutes from there. If this is even partially carveable I would seriously consider a season pass. 

Edit- it opens Sept 2nd. I may seriously have to check it out with my old Donek. It may be worth $18 to see what the story is. 

https://powderridgepark.com/365-synthetic-snow-park/

Edited by Tugboater
More info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well it sounds like their plan is to make snow on top of this stuff. They plan on opening Dec 15. I have mixed feelings on this. It was not fun to ride on When it was just the plastic. However, I can see it being great with a bit of snow. It'll protect your board on thin spots and they can open with 3" of snow on it. I did spend some time chatting with the manager and the plan is to install at least 2,800' of this. So in hoping it rides ok with a little snow on it. 

• 6 months later...

Found at last!  Pure Boarding Japan Facebook, June 2015.  I just sent a message to find out more about the process used, stay tuned for response.

From the Pure Boarding Japan Facebook site:  "Since the sole will melt in the heat of friction, it will paste a stainless steel sole. In Hotwax without, we can improve the slip blowing the silicon spray to the sole. Edge angle. sole is -2 to -6. Side is 86."

I saw a picture once of some skis that had a metal base versus just strips like this board.  I'll try looking for it again but searching for 'skis with metal edge/base' or anything similar turns up generic info about ski construction and edges.

PUREmetalEDGE.jpg

PUREmetalFULL.jpg

PUREmetalACTION.png

Edited by *Ace*