Note to New Members ×

Input from ebay experienced sellers

FTA2R

Hi All,

I think there are some fairly experienced eBay'ers here?  Sellers, in particular.

I'm having a minor issue with a buyer and wanted to run this by you guys who are more experienced.

Let me know if you're out there and I'll post my question  / issue (it's pretty simple).

'

OK, here's the issue.

I sold a low cost item and shipped it - at least a week ago. The buyer has it. Before I could send the invoice, they paid me, but the payment doesn't include the shipping supplies, which are also very low cost, but business is business. And since the item was such a small price, I don't want to be stuck with the price of shipping materials.

I've reached out to the buyer at least 2x, no response. Losing my patience, but want a positive review.

I searched ebay's site for this situation, but didn't see it. Should I just suck it up and leave bad review or email one more time, or contact ebay?

Edited by FTA2R

Ditto.

When most people buy an item on ebay, it is the total cost that is the deciding factor. Shipping nearly always means total cost of shipping including packaging.  I've sold a few guitars on ebay. If I have suitable boxes and packing lying around, it's no problem. If I have to go out and buy boxes and packing, it means I will have to absorb that cost in the total price (including shipping). Often that's a deal killer. 

Feedback on ebay is something to be careful with. Giving negative feedback is a very last resort, and even then it might be better to leave no feedback. I look carefully at a seller that has given negative feedback to a buyer in the past. If there was any doubt as to the justification, I would avoid that seller. 

5 hours ago, FTA2R said:

Good to know.

I listed the shipping price, but I didn't know how much the actual package would cost (or I simply forgot to include that in there).

Chalk that one up to experience then.  No buyer is going to consider an adjustment in an advertised shipping cost after the fact reasonable.

42 minutes ago, FTA2R said:

OK, then. I agree with Neil. I'm not that experienced an eBay seller. So, I can still expect a positive feedback from the buyer, then, right?

If the goods were as advertised and they arrived in a timely fashion, I would expect positive feedback (or none if they are lazy).  Most people give feedback in my experience. You should be giving positive feedback promptly once you have received payment.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill