Note to New Members ×

Riding the Beast: Has Snowboarding Lost its Soul? (fwd)

terekhov

I want to post this, as a repost, because so Many Of you have just glided over what we've said,;and interposed it as 'your own',yet never recognised the duplication which of itself is Theft of Ideals. Sorry, but, it's gotta end, dudes!  I've said as much,many times, here in the old days,, on Freecarve, and again back here, but, RESEARCH your danged THOUGHTS before you go Claiming, or start Paying ME some Royalties!!! I'm damn broke, but, not  Greedy..  However, much of my ideals have merit across many timelines. So, don't 'Cut+Copy' me, or I will start the legal thing  to defend my work.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:49 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

What the heck are you talking about?

On 3/21/2017 at 6:23 AM, corey_dyck said:

Eric - what?

So, to both Neil, and Corey, I'm NOT slamming you.. Just this.. over the many, many years I have been trying to get riders to accept their potentials, I keep finding that issues [not, actually, always, "issues" I discovered, but, usually diagnosed, I keep finding my own words Fighting Themselves, and,' likely' it will be, well, Here! I can't forsee how you will take my meanings. I only ask that you consider what, two decades ago or more, was already set as ideals from which to build upon. Sorry, not to take away ideas posted in the interim. But if you 'knee-jerk' a post [and, I'm guilty here] while just driving the other speaker under, that's an "oops", whereupon, it behooves you to look BACK, then, TYPE forwards.  And, while I cannot likely get to Ya'll, sorry for Toes and keyboards I've stepped upon along my way! To other's, I will only encourage You to find Freedom of Speech. Then put your best thoughts forwards. But, don't neglect what is already written... "PSR"

a'll

On 3/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, Erik J said:

Interesting read as I know nothing of the politics of professional racing.

Is there a committee of racers or coaches that can advise rules or changes to the organizing associations

Erik J,  there once was;  The ISF. The USASA tries to, at a lower World Level, contribute. But, the INTERNATIONAL SNOWBOARD FEDERATION has been killed by FIS Lawyers. I, after 30+ years as a Snowboard Competitor, will NOT join with a USSA Event.  My 10-year-old-twins, may walk away yet.. Without good, able, judges, you

`aqve

I don't think that article is worth too many calories either for or against.  someone tied into organized racing may get it a bit more I guess.  It meant nothing to me and doesn't match any of what I have seen with the sport.....but then again, I have never even watched a race and don't intend to :)  .........And Mr Eric, I am a non-expert that hiked and rode my first line the winter of 80-81 and even rode Alta that year.  But...I didn't open it so I guess one can say that I'm the opposite of you in that.....gulp.... maybe I'm responsible for the snowboard ban there :) :)

I'll chime in on the tangents about Noobs learning.   

I see quite a few and as ski patrol I get a number of request from parents and kids asking which they should try.  We get oodles of school kids that come up on school sponsored trips.  I do believe the first day is more difficult for a snowboard noob than a ski noob.   I have always put it to them that snowboarding has a steeper learning curve right at first.  

1. it doesn't work well on the 3 degree slope, rope-tow, bunny hill. SB requires some fall line to work.  Difficult for noobs to give in and get some needed velocity.  Our natural desire is to start out sloooow moving while learning.  :)   works with skis.

2.  Snowboarding requires soooo much edge awareness.  Noob skiers use their edges but don't realize that is what they are doing.  Little thought goes into it. 

3.  the transition from dropping down "side to side" heelside or toeside,  to linking turns is a big jump for most.  The "Hillary Step"  of snowboard learning. :)  

These kids with the school program get a gratis, group lesson for an hour or so and then off they go.  the snowboard groups definitely struggle much, much more.

Now to throw in a tangent to a tangent :)    I am also a skier (which many of us old guy snowboarders are).   Two of my boys decided then wanted to try my skis.  Both are excellent riders.  I went into this long lecture about how different they are, and their snowboard prowess won't confer any ski skills,  and don't be discouraged, yada yada.  Well, boy was I off.  They picked it up MUCH quicker than a typical noob.  Ya, I'm sure some of that was just superior genetics :) :)   but how surprised I was to see that; based on my nonscientific, anecdotal experience with an N value of 2...:).......snowboard skills DO impart some transferable ski skills.  :)

15 hours ago, Duke said:

snowboard skills DO impart some transferable ski skills.  :)

Not just some... almost all of them! The only thing that skier can not do is actively apply the twist to his planks. 

I pretty much promote that it's just 2 disciplines of the same sport, one practiced frontal, the other one sideways, with alpine somewhere in between... 

Some anecdotes: 

I always tried to get Scooby on skis and spoke to him about ski carving. One year, I got him a pair of carving skis for b-day. He was inpatient to wait for me to finish training my little son and suddenly we saw him linking wide arcs, somewhat clumsy but still carving, under the chair. Just like that - he applied what he knew from snowboard and remembered from my talk and boom! Funny part is that he couldn't slide them, snowplow or hockey stop, but carving, no problems. 

Other one, was Ian's wife (members here). She was a former ski racer, never snowboarded before... We've put her on a small alpine setup and all I had to tell her was: "OK, you are going to ski a single fat ski, your front foot is the toes of your ski boot, your back foot is the heel of the same boot.". Next thing we knew, she was carving nice and aggressive turns! 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1