Note to New Members ×

Hardboots advice please

Matt3000

I want to start riding with hardboots, is sense to buy old hardboots like Burton Reactor or Oxygen Spectrum for 20 eur or is better to take newer boots?

Does it matter boot stiffnes for newbie on hardboots, and can I ride stiff 8/10 freeride board with F2 Intec race bindings, or are they too hard?

I would try to get as new as you can get; those old boots are pretty old.

The bindings should not be a problem: F2 have some flex in them, and you may get some slop between the boots and the bails also depending on how you set them up.

I don't recognize your board description, but big and stiff are difficult because they often only work at high speeds (unless you're heavy), which can be hard to achieve on public pistes or when your skills aren't completely there. "Freeride" sounds less threatening though. I would try to go for a flexible board until you know you're overpowering it, if you see what I mean. 

I find riding hard boots in powder mode was a good way to get acclimated to the stiffer setup until I was more comfortable with them.  Powder mode also helps in the bumps and late day chop. I would agree with others to try and find newer boots.  Bomber runs sales at season's end and you may be able to find some for a good price. Good luck!

Boot stiffness is one of the most important issues when starting. I dont know how stiff those boots are, maybe someone has some experience and can chime in. But there is no need to buy newer equipment if what you have works.

I see youre from Slovenia, there are a couple of European based forums out there if you speak German or Italian, Im unaware of a Slovenian hardbooting forumthough.

12 hours ago, erazz said:

I just recently switched from stiff (Track 325ish) to noodle (Raichle 124s).  

The 124s should be just slightly less stiffer than the 325s, no?

I have Apo apocalypse 166 it has classic camber and its little stiffer than Eliminator 161 2011 but its not too stiff, can EC with it on blue slope, but where I ride are red and black slopes, artificial snow, icy conditions, thats why want to try hard boots, also bought Silberpfeil wide and its softer than Apo but not as wide, so I want to try riding in hardboots with it...what to look when buying used boots? Can I use driver x liners with hardboots?

thanks for answers

Aloha Matt 3000,  Almost any hard boot, old or new is stiffer and has more support. The support allows you to ride steeper angles, a necessary adjustment to enjoy what carving board can be pushed to do.  Even a ski touring type boot will work as part of your progression but will force steeper angles because of the sole length. If your serious in wanting to carve, good bindings are your first necessity. Then any hard boot that doesn't hurt your feet. You will out grow the boots but the bindings you will take on your journey. On any reasonable all around board with hard plates and a hard boot your on your  way.   Getting use to the angles is your priority.  Then It's a building process. You might have to go too far ( board stiffness, boot stiffness, stance angles) and then come back a little.  It's a wonderful journey, not for the lazy or the faint of heart, but the rewards are hard to put into words

• Like 1