Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows 16/17

P06781

Finally got to use my Spring Pass on Sunday 3/19. Headed up to Meadows with Roctavio and the lovely Mrs. Dan. I slipped on ice in the HRM parking lot -- no serious damage, fortunately, but it was a pretty good warning for what was up on the hill - the aftermath of a week of rain followed by a hard freeze on Saturday night. They had tilled it as best as possible, but it was still much too firm until things warmed up around 11:00, when it got pretty friendly for about 90 minutes, before moving into "a little too soft". 

Full sun and crowds were not too bad, though all the parking lots were full. Talking to a guy on the chair, he said he arrived at 11:15 and due to lack of parking spaces, wasn't allowed into the lot until noon (!). Camping overnight in the parking lot is looking better by the day. All in all, a nice day, but I'm hoping to see some new snow on top of the existing surface, which has been through a few too many melt/freeze cycles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Finally got to use my Spring Pass on Sunday 3/19. Headed up to Meadows with Roctavio and the lovely Mrs. Dan. I slipped on ice in the HRM parking lot -- no serious damage, fortunately, but it was a pretty good warning for what was up on the hill - the aftermath of a week of rain followed by a hard freeze on Saturday night. They had tilled it as best as possible, but it was still much too firm until things warmed up around 11:00, when it got pretty friendly for about 90 minutes, before moving into "a little too soft". 

Full sun and crowds were not too bad, though all the parking lots were full. Talking to a guy on the chair, he said he arrived at 11:15 and due to lack of parking spaces, wasn't allowed into the lot until noon (!). Camping overnight in the parking lot is looking better by the day. All in all, a nice day, but I'm hoping to see some new snow on top of the existing surface, which has been through a few too many melt/freeze cycles. 

Before I had kids, I would go up the night before and camp at the Sunrise lot.  It's a lot warmer there than camping at Timberline.  Now, I don't go on weekends until after spring break.  Hopefully USPS will locate my new board and I'll get to try it out Wednesday or Thursday, and it won't be quite as bulletproof.

• Like 1