Note to New Members ×

NZ earthquake

SunSurfer

I'm disappointed you didn't grab your wet suit and head to the nearest beach ! Have only ever felt a minor tremor and that was upsetting from a brain balance perspective. News coverage here is minimal but did report two died. Were still fixated on the big quake south of Canada. Oops not sure if i'm allowed to say that .

Edited by lowrider

Shook my parents in Blenheim, my cousins in Hamilton, and friends in Dannevirke all out of bed. My father said it was the worst one he's ever been in, and he's been in a few. A few smashed ornaments was the extent of the damage, thankfully. Glad you and yours are all safe. Damage around Kaikoura looks pretty bad, and the parents said Seddon and Ward (not far from them) got hit pretty hard.

Apparently the aftershocks are awful. I suspect nobody is going to be sleeping well for a few days.

Edited by Allee
  • Like 1

Thanks John.

2 big quakes about 4 months apart hit Christchurch, The second was the more destructive, and hit just as people thought the aftershocks of the first were dying down.

This quake sequence, with its initial quake(s) 30 times more powerful than Chch 2nd quake, is hitting a much less populated part of the country but has blocked the main road and rail route in the northern half of the South Island with lots of very large landslides.

Kiwis are also mentally giving thanks for a building code that is well regulated and results in modern buildings that rarely catastrophically fail in a major quake. You may not be able to use them without extensive repair but at least you can walk out rather than come out in a body bag.

We're practiced at this, though you don't get used to it. A national insurance scheme for earthquake damage underpins people's personal insurance. Our schools teach what to do in a quake. All part of living in the Shakey Isles on the Pacific Ring of Fire. Or California.....

Edited by SunSurfer
add detail

Glad to hear the BOL members are safe,  I recall the huge wash outs after big rain  and was reminded by those by the video of the cows stranded on a small plot that played here in the US.   Stay safe,  New Zealanders are tough and resourceful but this could be harsh.