Note to New Members ×

Who are some famous hardbooters?

Dave Winters

How about Alain Prost:

http://www.actionreporter.com/003.neige/001.prost/page_reportage_b.html

According to the article, he rides "goofy _right foot on the front _ and that he uses three buckled shells set up on a Burton Kelly".

You'd think he could afford a new jacket though.

I also heard Seal (the singer) is a hell of a snowboarder but I'm not sure if he rides plates.

When I went to High Cascade Snowboard Camp in 1994 there was a coach there nammed John Caulkins who I think was pretty instrumental in alpine riding in this country. He rode an Agression which was the narrowest board out at that time, I think!

And of course, there is Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva, but they, of course, are European.

And in my book as an instructor for so many years, I'd put Lowell Hart right up there too! :) He's a member of this board if you ever see him around!

I guess when you ask who are the famous alpine riders, you could think of racers, freeriders, instructors, etc....

Kathy

Grandfathers of the sport? Damian Sanders. Hardboots in the pipe, albeit Dynafit ski boots and (Sims?) baseplates without the highbacks.

Name recognition? Alex Maier, the "Brothernator" of Hermann, or Ross "Nickel Bag"-liati, of Nagano fame (or infamy...)

Famous in other arenas? Jim Zellers is one of the most well-known names in alpinism (mtn. climbing) and has bagged numerous first descents around the world. Just about anyone who climbs up serious mountains and then rides back down does it in plastic boots and plate bindings.

Famous on the freestyle side? Victoria Jealouse and Mike Jacoby, one of the pioneers of inverted aerials, both have racing backgrounds.

Guest dragon fly jones

I am famous for my hedonism, laisse-fair attitude and being the first kung fu, tai chi and eastern wisdom proffering oragami collecting double A snowboarder mountain biker par excellence.

Seal -

Rode with him for 2 days during the mid-90s. He ripped! I believe he was riding a LaCroix. Later that year, I heard he had a big accident at Whistler. I always have a Seal tune in my Mp3.....

Warren Moon -

Was all scheduled to give him a lesson on plates, but he was traded and left town. His son was a lil ripper.

Picabo Street

Jean-Claude Killy

Originally posted by Barry

Also, Jay Kay (lead singer of Jamiroquai) rides (don't think hardboots, though) and one of his videos features him riding I think.

...he actually learned to snowboard for that video. I saw a documentary on how they made that video - pretty funny!

Hagen.

Oh yes...Seal was indeed on plates! Memory is saying the old Burton MegaFlex. (?) A day or so before we rode, he mentioned that MTV (or was it VH1) was following him around....so there's video of the whole thing, somewhere.

I'd imagine if someone did a monster Google search, they would be able to drum up a photo or something. If nothing else, I'm sure his accident was well-documented.

As for the meet-up, it was just like hooking up with any other carver on the hill. Very humble guy...very "into" the feeling of snowboarding/carving. Was not posing...it was the real deal.

Although I was the lucky guy that rode with him, my vote goes to Jean-Claude. That one is crazy!

k

Seal is a musician, kind of soulful pop, an interesting guy. His face is ALL scarred up, apparently from a tribal ritual when he was born in Africa, but I think he's a Brit now. Found a link to his website.

http://www.seal.com/bio/index.cfm

Kent, you're right about Killy. I read he rips on the plates and prefers it to skiing now. And definitely more famous than Seal.

Guest dragon fly jones

And as a hard booter you see the success he has with the ladies, yeah being a singer may have played a small part, but it is my belief that it was the boots!