Note to New Members ×

TD step-in heel piece adapted to Catek?

1xsculler

With a machine shop or a skilled person - yes.  The hole spacing is different.  They just need to do a second countersunk hole closer to the center (for each hole) in the red aluminum bar, then widen the slots in the steel piece. 

The key is finding a small machine shop that is willing to take on such a small job.  A friend in upper NY found a shop after many months of searching.  

• Like 1

The ease and range of adjustability of my Cateks is exactly my reason for wanting to do this.  I'm a competent DIYer and I have a drill press so it sounds like a project worth tackling.

Thanks for the input.  I'll let you know how it turns out once I decide on a pair of boots.

I've done this modification.  With a Dremel tool and some patience, you can widen the slots in the TD3 heel receiver to accomodate the closer spacing of the Catek mounting screws.  You also need to lengthen the slots in the red "lock bracket" that holds the heel receivers down.  The height above the heel block comes out just right without modification.

It works really well.  Widening the slots in the heel receiver just enough to clear the Catek screw spacing means that the receiver is still secured in the side-to-side direction, and the modified lock bracket secures the heel receiver in the front-back direction.  And the parts still work with TD3s as well.

The gain is that the holes in the original aluminum heel receivers eventually wear and you can't buy replacements any more.  So this is a way to keep those Cateks going.  And yes, you need the correct toe bails if you want to convert rom standard to step-in.  Heel bails won't work.

• Like 1

I've done this modification.  With a Dremel tool and some patience, you can widen the slots in the TD3 heel receiver to accomodate the closer spacing of the Catek mounting screws.  You also need to lengthen the slots in the red "lock bracket" that holds the heel receivers down.  The height above the heel block comes out just right without modification.

It works really well.  Widening the slots in the heel receiver just enough to clear the Catek screw spacing means that the receiver is still secured in the side-to-side direction, and the modified lock bracket secures the heel receiver in the front-back direction.  And the parts still work with TD3s as well.

The gain is that the holes in the original aluminum heel receivers eventually wear and you can't buy replacements any more.  So this is a way to keep those Cateks going.  And yes, you need the correct toe bails if you want to convert rom standard to step-in.  Heel bails won't work.

Hey Wolf,

Would you post pics?  This will be an up-and-coming issue for me too.

Thanks

Renzo,

I waited to check with Angie and Jim about posting photos, since they are good enough to give us this forum.  Angie said it's OK, just "voids all warranties related to the Bomber product".  So give me a couple of days and I'll take some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

So here are some photos of my heel receiver modification.  Someone with access to a machine shop could certaintly do a more professional looking job.  As I mentioned, I checked with Angie at Bomber about this and she said this "voids all warranties related to the Bomber product".  Also, wear safety glasses, hearing protect, don't drink and Dremel, etc.

Catek OS2 with Bomber TD3 Heel Receiver

post-486-0-01164200-1458824599_thumb.jpg

Catek OS2 with Bomber TD3 Heel Receiver

post-486-0-38078800-1458824660_thumb.jpg

Standard Parts on Left, Modified Parts on Right

post-486-0-71824100-1458824708_thumb.jpg

After widening the slots in the red lock bracket pieces, I touched up the ground areas with a red magic marker to make it look prettier.  The slots in both pieces were done with the Dremel Tool.  There are some scratches in the red piece where I slipped.  I could get a bigger 4.5 inch angle grinder in to do the scallop shaped cutouts to give clearance for the Catek lift adjust screws (way faster than the Dremel).

Make the slots in the silver heel receiver just wide enough to allow the mounting screws to fit.  That way, the screws will constrain the heel receiver from side-to-side motion.

Material in Blue Areas Removed with Dremel Tool or Angle Grinder

post-486-0-63269500-1458824807_thumb.jpg

Be thorough in widening the slots in the red lock bracket pieces, and get the conical seats for the screw heads wide enough too.  Otherwise, the screw will get a lot of bend when you tighten it, which could lead to fatigue failure of the screw (i.e., the head might break off after several load/unload cycles).

Height of Boot Using TD3 Heel Receiver

post-486-0-31232100-1458824928_thumb.jpg

The height comes out pretty much perfect without needing any shims or spacers.

• Like 2

Wow Wolf, that's great! thanks for sharing that.  I can see where "it takes a steady hand." to make it as finished looking as you did. 

I notice my aluminum receivers are quickly being eroded, not so much by the retractable pins as I assumed, but by the fixed seat pins.  

Angie and Jim aren't in the business of making replacement parts for equipment that they don't make as the OEM.  I think we should be happy that they don't mind us talking about ways to modify their parts to fit another brand.  Now if somebody wanted to offer to do the modifications as an aftermarket service, that might be feasible.  But realistically, even without a machine shop, probably the best way to get a modified heel receiver would be to invest in a Dremel tool and an hour or two of time and just do what I did.

Also, I remembered that some of the work I did on the red lock bracket was done by hand with a round file.  I basically widened the slot with the file, then sculpted the conical seat with the Dremel.  

• Like 1