Note to New Members ×

3 strap bindings for soft boot carving

steven

If the highback locks, that strap is going to tear apart from the highback. Looks like there is only one screw holding it in. Good luck with that.

As opposed to the ankle straps with one screw per side?  

But nevermind that, let's add the Ohski suspension system mentioned below in the reviews! 

71hCmxi0WvL._SL256_.jpg

I can remember the first set of Burton Flex bindings I had in 1990 that also had a top strap and highback lock. I snapped that locking mechanism so many times. After replacing them and snapping them over and over I stopped locking them and never had a problem. I thought the highback straps on those bindings were molded into the binding. I'm not sure but I do remember breaking them a lot. Maybe todays technology is better but I wouldn't ride any soft binding with a top strap. I have never snapped an ankle strap.

http://www.ohski.com/#!ONSNO-Kickstarter-2016/cw3r/563550820cf201d72f26b0ed

Wow... Should be an honorable mention for

http://onboardmag.com/features/lists/10-horrible-snowboard-inventions.html#8qKrVr2EEbCvzRza.97

Soooooo entertaining to watch.

Copy and paste entire top link gives you the kickstart video of the OhSki OnSno. 2nd half of video is snowboard. Don't know why entire link didn't hyperlink. Enjoy.

Edited by Smilin'Dave

OhMFG,

looks like a fun challenge, distance from the boot to the board edge AND the position of the foot over the sidecut constantly changing :eek: 

looks to be at least as weird to ride as my hyarc

3141764018_101875e9f8_z.jpg?zz=1

3140707073_95fe887268.jpg

back on topic

I loved 3strap burtons in '89, way better toeside response and lateral flex, but found plates and plastic shells WAAY simpler to use and WAAY more durable.

there is a 3 strap skiboard soft binding made today that would fit the bill, can't recall the name but stumbled on it on ebay

• Thanks 1

Fixing the highback lock-down issue is as easy as a small ladder and ratchet receptor.  You t-nut with a 5mm at the horseshoe to attach the ladder (pointing up), and put the receptor up mid-way on the highback. However, I don't think that the T-9 highbacks are strong enough to deal with hard toeside carves on a cold day. I'd want Nidecker Carbon highbacks instead.

BTW, those risers look a bit too tall to me. The shear on bolts that long would be just 'bad'...

• Like 2

rbaldwin- which AT boots do you use, and with which bindings?

does anyone use anything like these in soft bindings?

http://www.koflach.com/en/parsepage.php?tpl=tpl_prodotti_detail&sqlpam1=256

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Lowa-Men-s-Civetta-Extreme-Boot_10216401_10208_10000001_-1_

I've used Scarpa Maestrale which were nice and light, and have a great range of motion. Excellent boots for backcountry, but I wanted to hack them up. They were worth a lot unhacked, so I sold them and got the cheapest Scarpa Avants I could find. That way I could experiment without fear of messing up too bad. $115 shipped, brand new, and I like them a lot. Removed the power straps, cut down the tongues a little. I often leave the front boot in the max forward lean setting, and leave the rear in walk mode. I'm looking for some Dynafit TLT6 boots. They are really light and supposedly pretty flexy.

I've been using these mostly with Burton race plates, flat front, and the rear wedged with soft Khiro skateboard wedges to keep it low and soft. Sometimes I use some Nidecker free carves, which I like but don't know how long they will hold up.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt! I can carve, but not like most of the folks on Bomber. I'm more of a wide board (24cm) freerider that likes to avoid slide turns whenever possible.