Note to New Members ×

softboots & bindings - latest & greatest

xy9ine

Ha you parked it right next to my skis on the rack! Awesome looking stuff. Board looks bugger and fatter then advertised. I'm sure it will ride pow pretty good with that rocker nose.

I was surprised how flexy were those carbon highbacks, though.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We are evaluating bindings to try to find one soft boot carving that we could either carry in our online store or recommend to our customers.

The el Hefe is in our shop. We really like its construction but, it does not have a rotating high back. Is that a deal killer for soft boot carvers? I don't think it would be an issue unless you are using very high binding angles - 35 degrees plus.

Edited by Apex Insider

The el Hefe is in our shop. We really like its construction but, it does not have a rotating high back. Is that a deal killer for soft boot carvers? I don't think it would be an issue unless you are using very high binding angles - 35 degrees plus.

The carbon version has a "sorta" rotating highback. You can take the female part of the screw assembly and flip it 180 degrees on either side to adjust the rotation. So it only has a couple settings. The pre-carbon versions of the El Hefe allowed for more gradual and noticeable rotation.

Ha you parked it right next to my skis on the rack! Awesome looking stuff. Board looks bugger and fatter then advertised. I'm sure it will ride pow pretty good with that rocker nose.

I was surprised how flexy were those carbon highbacks, though.

yeah, couldn't miss the virus skis, so parked alongside. how'd they work? certainly look pretty.

i couldn't really discern any binding flex with the stiffness of the drivers; they're near hardboot stiffness out of the box. quite surprising, and are taking a bit to get used to after my (evidently) very broken down old soft boots. i had to dial in more forward lean on the highbacks because the boots were so stiff. 

The carbon version has a "sorta" rotating highback. You can take the female part of the screw assembly and flip it 180 degrees on either side to adjust the rotation. So it only has a couple settings. The pre-carbon versions of the El Hefe allowed for more gradual and noticeable rotation.

i didn't even notice the limited rotational adjustment till i had them in hand. though i am running steeper angles (42-39ish i think), they still seem to offer decent lateral support (again, stiff boots). haven't got things dialed, yet, regardless. more tweaking to do. 

How do these newer stiff softboot setups compare to some of the newer soft hardboot setups? Anyone ridden something like Driver X boots and something like the Dynafit TLT6 in comparison? I'm curious as to where the crossover point is.

Earlier this year I was looking into getting the stiffest soft boot setup I could find. I thought the prices were staggering considering how quickly my previous boots softened up, and went with some Scarpa AT boots instead. Pricey, yes, but won't break down and get to use existing bindings.

what is a good product similar to Bomber's power plate that works well with a soft-boot setup? (coiler bx 23.8 waist)

I could use a little more clearance to prevent slight boot-out i get when really railing my soft-boot setup, and would prefer not to increase my angles any more, which are currently 48/36.

Is there a product like this that also provides a little rear heel lift/front toe lift?

Does anyone have experience with the Rossignol Xavier de la rue bindings?

I am also looking for stiff bindings for this softie setup as well, with small footprint.

Thanks all!!

yeah, couldn't miss the virus skis, so parked alongside. how'd they work? certainly look pretty.

i couldn't really discern any binding flex with the stiffness of the drivers; they're near hardboot stiffness out of the box. quite surprising, and are taking a bit to get used to after my (evidently) very broken down old soft boots. i had to dial in more forward lean on the highbacks because the boots were so stiff. 

i didn't even notice the limited rotational adjustment till i had them in hand. though i am running steeper angles (42-39ish i think), they still seem to offer decent lateral support (again, stiff boots). haven't got things dialed, yet, regardless. more tweaking to do. 

Virus are piranhas :) Tail grips like crazy, one could almost park back, tip the ski and rail, as much as it is a wrong technique. They respond very well on centered technique. I need to ski them a bit more to properly figure out front loaded technique for tightest turns.

They are almost too grippy to be a good freeride skis, but then they are meant to be carvers...

That is a problem with soft boots... The new high end models are nice and stiff for a short while, then they soften and mush up in a sneaky way...

A somewhat flexy yet supportive highback could actually be nice. On my old Nideckers, I felt the binding was almost too stiff on the heel side turn.