Note to New Members ×

First ride on Rad Air Tanker 172

jtslalom

I haven't ridden any good carving boards in a long time now. My last hard boot setup was a volkl Renn Tiger. I've been away from hard booting for at least 10 years now. Since then the only good carving deck I have been on was a Volkl Cross 168 ish. I own a Ride Timeless 168 and a few other soft boot carving decks that really couldn't be ridden with hard boots. Today I rode a friends Rad air tanker 172 for about 4 hours. Afterwards I called him up and offered to buy it. WOW. I've been away to long. I can't even believe how easy it was to rail carves on this board almost effortlessly. The fun thing about it was that if I did actually drive my knees the board was unstoppable. Quick in transition and held a great carve on steeps. I know some people here may know what I am talking about when I say that this board may have been one of the best carving decks I have ever ridden. I know Rad Air is not producing boards now but can any one tell me what would be a good equivalent board.

post-173-0-16066000-1454289926_thumb.jpg

So many choices...

Prior MFR, AMF, BX, ATV...

Donek Incline and other more modern offerings of theirs...

Coiler's new softie boards...

Steepwaters, Arbors, Nideckers, Kessler, SG...

The world is your oyster.... :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Isn't the Donek Hazelwood the Tanker replacement?

I think that was the idea, at least in terms of shape and size. What you lose in the Tanker's exotic materials and feather weight, you gain in the Hazelwood's burly construction and customizability, not to mention availability. I had my 200 out today (on softies) and it's remarkably well-behaved on cruisers but surprisingly nimble with surfy, slashy turns in soft. Plus, the 200 is hilarious. Like showing up for pickup hoops in clown shoes. Highly recommended.

• Like 1