Note to New Members ×

Whiteface and Gore mountains, good for carving ?

Surf Quebec

I remember Gore having a ton of long, flat stretches. It's fine if you can avoid them, but take a wrong turn and you're toast. We actually had to dismount and walk with our boards on several occasions--like 10 to 20 minutes worth of walking! Mind you, this was 20 years ago. Things could have changed since then.

I remember there was a video on hardbooter that show Will Garrow ripping it @ Park City.

Love to see it again...

http://web.archive.org/web/20111117220917/http://hardbooter.net/blog/?p=632

Riding in "sub-prime" condition does make you a better rider :-)

Price is too high in term of body wear/tear for my lack of talent.

I know I am biased because Whiteface is my home mtn but if you like super fast hardpack (some may call it ice haha) then Whiteface is a carvers dream.  It has plenty of steeps and when the snow is good the slides are amazing.  I am sure Whiteface has changed a lot since I was there but if I was there tmw I would take a warm up run down Excelsior and then head up to Mountain Run.  Don't miss Skyward (upper and lower) and of course Cloudspin and Niagara headwall.  After you are all finished have a double margarita in the bar and then head to Lake Placid Pub and Brewery for an Ubu Ale.  To say that I miss Whiteface is putting it lightly, not a day goes by without me thinking of it.  Lake Placid is also a real gem of a town with a lot to do and great people.  Even though my heart is always with Whiteface I have to admit that Mammoth Mountain and the town of Mammoth are great too.  Super fun place to make turns and great people in town with a couple of good breweries.  Hope you have fun at Whiteface and make a turn or two for me.

pow4ever...thank you for the kind words about that video.  PCMR is another great place to make turns plus you get to ride with Billy and sometimes Jeff P. out there which is guaranteed to make it great!!

Both are good for carving. I don't recall a lot of long flat stretches at gore but it was awhile ago. I do recall there being some pretty great steeper runs near the top (rumor, lies) - these were groomed when I went — but they are often left ungroomed as I understand. With the recent snowfall I would assume they are au-naturel.

Edited by queequeg

I think it was somewhere in the early to mid 90's when I went to White Face for the first time. Since then I have been to Whiteface a few times. It is a great mountain for steep carving. I'm sure it can be icy but if you are used to those conditions, you will be fine. I like the trail right under the side by side double lift. I think that is called Mountain Run.  It is wide enough to make some really big turns at mach speeds. Coming off the top lift Cloud Spin is the one I like best. Its pretty steep and fast. You have to really commit to it.