Note to New Members ×

Apex Plate inserts stress Boards / Need a loaner

Atom Ant

Hey all, 

Does anyone have experience with Apex plates breaking the boards they are mounted to?  This appears to have happened to me this past weekend: I now have a crack through to the wood in my base roughly directly under the rear heel side UPM mount.  I imagine I would have noticed a rock cutting that deep, in this instance I didn't notice until I hung the board up for the day (I know, shame on me).  

Is it possible that the metal brackets for the APEX plate overloaded this specific section of the board causing the break? Or, conversely, is it more likely I am to blame (not sure what I would have done other than once throw the E-brake on hard to stop, but its of course possible).  

Sucks even more so because it was only the third time riding the board (which I loved).

In other news, I am in need of a loaner GS board if anyone has one (I live in the Boston area).  If I break it I buy it.

Picture below.

post-3986-0-50428500-1453235099_thumb.jp

If you want to know exactly what went wrong you will need a postmortem on the board. Ship it back to the builder. You may have caused it if you over tightened the plate hardware screws. I have used very thin cork gasket material under the hardware and been very careful not to over tighten the screws connecting the hardware. With the core of the board being very thin at the outer edges it's better to error on the side of caution.  A lot depends on how the inserts are reinforced by the builder. Was this a titinal board it appears to me that there is metal showing along the left edge under the ptex ? If so is there also metal on the other side of the crack. If no metal under the right than that's the stress riser that resulted in the failure. Fill it with epoxy remove the plate and you got yourself a rock board.

Edited by lowrider

shredder!!! the plate adds  lots of leverage ... last time I saw a break like that was on a kessler185 with a k plate, a poor design for boards wider than 180mm... I suspect the plate/board mount is adding stress to this area &needs a better buffer or foot print design...is groove on the edge  a 1deg bevel or ice groove?

sorry about your board,,, Im in love with the plate setup but have broken two boards since I started using them... both were on heelside  behind plate...