Note to New Members ×

Meadows this weekend?

Dan

The optimists at MHM are planning to open on Saturday apparently (and presumably Sunday as well). Hmmm.

Local folks, what do you say? Do you think it's worth heading up? They claim to have been using snowmaking.

My friend Eric ,who rode with me at t-line yesterday, drove back to pdx via hoodriver. He commented today at work on how it looked even more barren on the east side of the mountain at lower elevations. Maybe the top would be ok ? but I would hate to be in a big crowd on one lift with minimal snow . We could see the top of the new lift from palmer and it looked completely melted off and rocky.

Give it shot and let us know (I will be working)

Jim

I'm sure they're thinking that turning the lifts back on

will relieve some pressure to offer credits/refunds.

Cascade is probably rideable, and it wouldn't

take a lot of snowmaking & creativity to cover

Buttercup and Easy rider. I might make the trip

just to get in better shape.

Here's another shot.

post-1039-141842200802_thumb.jpg

It looked really, really bad as we were driving back from Bachelor. I might go up if this storm *way* overachieves and they can get more terrain open, otherwise I'm going to do something else and think back on whata great couple of days I just had at Bachelor.

Originally posted by jason_watkins

Yeah, count me out. Even riding free with the pass I just can't justify surfing rocks on cascade to myself.

Thinking of hitting up bachelor again the weekend after this (12th and 13th).

let's just pray this storm delivers...

definitely do it, man! maybe we can hook up a little better this time

I rode at Meadows today from opening to about 1 pm. There was precious little carving to be had, due to the fact that the groomed runs were not covered well enough to have en even surface, not to mention a few dirt patches here and there... but there were some nice powder stashes to be found.

I spent most of the morning doing laps on the Shooting Star runs, on my Axis. There were spots on Gemini that were wind-loaded with well over a foot of fresh powder, and as usual it didn't get tracked out very quickly because so many people don't know how to get there despite the fact that you can see it from the lift!

I put some more gouges in the base though getting down the South Canyon / Daisy area. Be careful over there! About 3-4" of new snow fell while I was there and the forecase calls for about 7" more by morning. If it looks good enough I might call in with the powder flu and go back tomorrow. Might ride my Incline 168 in softies though. My wife Bonnie will be there either way, look for us on channel 5/12.

As it turned out, I was up at Meadows on Saturday, and it was pretty decent. I was riding a freeride board with Cateks. Had good timing and got first tracks on Daisy, early tracks on Vista, and close-to-first tracks on Cascade.

The powder runs were pretty good - didn't find any rocks (knock wood) - but like Jason said, there wasn't any carving to be had. If it stays cold and they don't lose much base this week, I'll probably try to head up on Thursday...anyone?

"7 here and clear skies! I have to sit and wait for my mom to get here!!!! argh!"

Arg!!!!...is right. I was just at Bachelor for 4 days but had to leave last night just as it started to dump! Timing is everything. Oh well, had a great time anyways.

Ok boys and girls. MHM got about 18" over the past couple days!!

Today was pretty much a soft snow , mixed day. Groomed looked really good in the am, however it was too soft for hard carving. Off Piste had rewards for those who didn't mind the sound of p-tex peeling off the base with help from the volcanic rock!!! No crowds and all high speed chairs were on line except Hood River Meadows (Has not opened this year yet)

The snow was good , heavy and had a fog induced shine on the untracked. Meaning? After they groom heavily tonight , it should be firm, fast and an edging dream in the am. Don't be late, or you will find big trenches in all your favorite runs:D

Jim, Wednesday should be killer too.

Hope to see a few of the Portland/HR locals up there in the "Line-UP"> You know the channel I am on.

PRIME TIME JUST ARRIVED!! BE THERE!!!Bryan

PS Wax for cold fresh snow (I.E. get that red /yellow off your board) Winter is back!!

I thought the powder was great, best I've seen

in a long time. But venturing off the groomers was dicey,

and my board took a serious trashing(The Catacombs was a minefield)

The cover is still very thin, and it will

probably deteriorate through the week.

I might go up thursday before work, Jim.

Let me know if you do.

Bonnie and I were there from opening to almost closing - surprised we didn't run into you Bryan, you're always so easy to find!

Yep, no much in the way of hard carving today, groomers were VERY soft. I did a pinwheels trying to sneak some hard carves in betwwen powder runs before going into complete "freeride mode". They groomed Gemini which I was hoping to do powder laps on in the AM. Spent a good amount of time on Arena and in the Badlands (or whatever the **** they are called these days) doing powder runs - managed to avoid the rocks for the most part, but Bonnie put a nasty core shot in her old powder board.

Unfortunately I have to work the rest of the week so won't be able to join folks, but enjoy what should be some great carving. It is suposed to warm up through the week... in fact it was getting pretty warm up there the last hour or so of today, don't count on cold for much longer :< But more snow is expected over next weekend!

Bonnie and I were there from opening to almost closing - surprised we didn't run into you Bryan, you're always so easy to find!

So Mike. how DO you spot me:D

Sorry I missed you too! I didn't spot anyone on plates. I did laps on "South 40" , "Badlands" or whatever you would like to call it. Good stuff!!

Sounds like Eric was there too. I was there at the start and on the Cascade early too. Interesting.

Originally posted by jason_watkins

thanks for the info guys... sounds like we're still 1 dump away from getting back to full coverage, assuming it doesn't burn off again before the next storm :/

I think today had better overall coverage than right before Tropical Punch crashed the party. It's just that the groomers were too soft to carve hard on, so everyone went off piste!