Note to New Members ×

Invitation to a private ski area

Keenan

Where: Anthony Lakes, OR

When: Monday, March 7th, 2016

Cost: TBD ($40-50?)

Max Amount of BOL Riders: 25 (there is a cap of 50, I'll explain details below)

WTF?:  Last year my friend Milo rented Anthony Lakes for a day as a memorial for his mother (it is not a memorial service this time, but if you attend you should probably buy Milo a beer).  The cap is 50 people, about 20 actually showed up and skied/rode.  This year he is renting it again and allowing me to extend an invitation to BOL members.  I rode Saturday through Monday last year and stayed in bustling Baker City Oregon (about 45 minutes to Anthony).  Daily tickets are less than $40.  Saturday is the annual "Snow Blast" event with big air, live band, fireworks and yes…a genuine Chinese Downhill.  Sunday is low key and uncrowded.  Monday, the place is ours.  This is not a big ski area (one lift) but it has some really good terrain and good grooming.  It also has the highest base in the state, so on pow days it is fluffy.  

I did not post this in the ride board because it is open to anyone willing to drive to Anthony Lakes/Baker City.  PM me and I'll start the list.  

Edited by Keenan

Wow, this sounds pretty awesome folks! If I were in the PNW, I would soo be into this experience! Or if I were in a financial situation where I could join in on the fun, I would soo be into that too!

$199 for a snowcat trip!!! Come on, that's a no brainer!!!

Enjoy! Make some trenches for me!!!

Edited by Jeffrey Day

Pencil me in.  A-Lakes is Usually good for a fun, low-key day.  The cat terrain is a big burn on the back side of the ridge that runs South from the top of the lift.  It may have grown up some since we rode it some years back, but it's still nice mellow terrain.

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan, could you please move this to the ride board?  Maybe some of the spud slicers from NICE will see it then. Thanks.

I think the spud slicers from NICE are hoping to see more of us at Schweitzer this year :)

Having said that, I had a talk with Kram about renting a mountain last year -- bet he'd be interested. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE** - Due to low enrollment, the price for a private ski area day 3-9-2016 has been set at $80.00.  However, daily tickets are $35.00 through the ski area, I just purchased 2 tickets on Liftopia for $43.99 (so I can ride Saturday through Monday) and there are 2 left.  There are also sets of tickets with cancellation options on Liftopia for $51.79 and $60.90, which would be a 3 day total of less than $44.00 a day.  Saturday, lifts run 9-5, Sunday is nearly empty, Monday looks like we might have about 30 people.  There is R/V hookup and cheap on mtn. yurt rentals.  Hotels in Baker City are also very reasonable.

** I will need to RSVP to hold a block of tickets for BOL peeps by the end of January. ** 

For those of you who have already replied, please let me know if you still want to attend (I may try to ask them to add a limbo carve contest to the Saturday Winter Carnival).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am really sorry everybody but I wont be able to make it over to Anthony Lakes in time on Monday the 7th.    I have meetings the weekend before out of town and I won't have enough drive time to get there.    I have been stewing over this for the past week.   Its part of the consequences for being the President of the Montana landscaping association this year.    I was really looking forward to riding with you all!

Ed

I'm a  little confused - it sounds like it's just a casual rendezvous for Saturday, Sunday and/or Monday at the going ticket rate for anyone who shows up.  No private ski area - not at $80/day/person (I wouldn't be that interested in a small hill on a Monday at that rate).  We're going to stay in La Grande tomorrow night and ride Anthony on our way to a family get-together in Sun Valley.  Scouting report to follow.

The Monday rate was originally going to be $40, I believe they are now asking for $80 to recoup the cost since only about 20 people have RSVP'd.  The way I'm looking at it is my Liftopia tickets were about $23 a day, add that to the $80 and divide by 3 and it comes out to just over $40 a day.  The mountain is closed Mondays, the only time it has been open on a Monday in recent years was last year for the same event.

Also, of the people who have RSVP'd, only about 5 of them will actually have the ski legs to go more than a couple of hours.  I was among 3 people last year who boarded the chair at 9AM, so the first couple of hours it was nearly empty.

Edited by Keenan

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to see this area so I am coming ?   Saw the liftopia tix ?  I really want to do a cat trip if conditions are decent ?   Anyone in ?  Also trying to figure out where to stay ?  If anyone has any leads lmk?  Heard staying in Baker city is best due to the brew pubs and actual night life ?  Will come sat thru monday ?  Jim  

I always wanted to see this area so I am coming ?   Saw the liftopia tix ?  I really want to do a cat trip if conditions are decent ?   Anyone in ?  Also trying to figure out where to stay ?  If anyone has any leads lmk?  Heard staying in Baker city is best due to the brew pubs and actual night life ?  Will come sat thru monday ?  Jim  

Book it now, I know it's only Baker City but the state basketball tourney is there that weekend.

I'd really like to, but I'm out of the country (in Singapore!) until June. But I bet Timberline will still be good when I get back, so maybe then? Kind of bummed out to miss the season this year, especially since it's such a good snow year, but I couldn't pass up the chance to spend some time in my company's Singapore office.