Note to New Members ×

Invitation to a private ski area

Keenan

Grooming was sweet on Friday 2/12 and the crowd was minimal.  AL is not a big area - only a few runs are wide enough to really cruise on and there's not much in the way of steep groom at all - Trouble Creek was smooth and fast enough to get laid out on and Variety and Broadway good for a few low rides.  There are a couple of steeper bump runs - maybe they could be groomed if we ask nicely and they have the equipment and enough cover.  Speaking of cover - it was good almost everywhere, but you'll want to scout around some for thin spots and a few chronic rocks before going too crazy.  

Let's hope a bit more snow falls this week and it doesn't get too warm.  Forecast is for cold nights and above-freezing days and some snow this week, so it could well be quite a nice surface for us.

We stayed in La Grande as we were on our way to SUn Valley and it made no sense to drive to Baker City then back to AL for the day.  BC's a little more vital but both are OK.  Anybody know if LaGrande is going to be packed with basketballers?

Baker City is going off!  I saw four cars go through a green light before it turned back to red.  I'll see anyone who makes it at Anthony Lakes tomorrow, (I have a red jacket and black pants),  if the snow seems grippy near the lodge it's just from all of the spilled beer due to "Winter Carnival 2016".  Looks like there is a small front coming in, we might have some powder by Sunday.

A good morning for Keenan and me, except Keenan tweaked his back and had to cut the day short. It didn't seem to impair his riding - clean and fluid to the end.

Snow was pretty firm until getting a bit sloppy/corny late in the day (mixed rain and snow does that), which was actually good for charging the Rock Garden face on my new old Rossi 157 race board (easy to push around but stout enough to handle bumps and crud, and not too precious). Light crowd, 5pm close and short lift lines made a 30-run day (27000') do-able even with lunch, snack and two board changes.

Friendly folks (lots of curiosity about the gear (a few former hardbooters), some decent terrain, affordable food and no attitude. If it wasn't 35 and "wintry mix" I'd be back for another day.

I love that pic, kind of gives perspective to the Anthony Lakes experience.  Today was rough, it had rained then frozen then snowed just enough to make it appear smooth.  Tomorrow should be better, 1-2" in the forecast.  I'll be sure to post a picture, our numbers are looking smaller than last year.  I bet we have less than 15 people tomorrow, including patrol.  I'm getting first chair anyway.

Wow!  Best carving day of the season so far.  Got first and last chair.  15-20 people max, most only lasted for a couple of hours.  Sunny with 1-2" of new on the sides, groomers got better after the lunch (part of the mountain rental package).  I'll post some pictures when I have time.

This was originally the 2nd annual memorial for my friends mom, then his dad passed less than two weeks before this event.  I got some nice shots of both parents' ashes being scattered off of the chairlift as I rode up behind them.  For those who don't ski/board, patrol was letting them ride up the chair and giving them sled rides down.