Note to New Members ×

Ready to take the leap

PeterC

I'm a 43 year old, 190lbs old time snowboarder (1981 bungee swallowtail) I've started snowboarding with my kids now @ Snowbird & I have to admit I'm a carver. I've been looking on ebay & could use some suggestions... would it be better to go for something like a used beater Nideker nextstep 159, a used Burton fp154, rossignol throttle 167 or a newish f2 154... they're all around $100. I'll probably go with a Raichle sb123 boot & whatever bindings I can get... Any insight would be great. Thanks, Pete

yeah...even up to a low to mid 170s would be ok, BUT you dont NEED a big board to learn to carve. they just handle speed a little better.

I have this MLY 167...would probably qualify as a "boardercross" board, but believe me it carves beautifully, and Im 210 or so.

dont forget to check the classifieds here. tons of stuff for sale and cycles pretty regularly.

I would suggest a Deeluxe Suzuka formerly known as the Raichle AF 600 with a thermoflex liner

the cants on the older SB Raichles are junk

Head makes good boots as well but I have not owned a pair

what ever toy do put a thermoflex in it if it does not come with one

custom footbeds are huge plus as well and are just as beneficial in your softboots if not more so

boards come and go, but boots usually stick around awhile. That might even make an interesting poll.....what's your boot to board ratio...? Anyway, I think the 167 is a good choice as well for your weight (although you didn't mention your height). Had a Rossi 171 Accellorator (similar to Throttle) and loved it, but sold it to help pay for my F2 which I absolutely LOVE!!! Either way get some gear and join the club, you're gonna be glad you did,

Good luck,

Paul

I'm a goofy 6'1...getting a pair of raichles with new thermo fit liners... the boards I'm drooling on now are a speed 178 (might have to grow into it) an Oxygen 170 (droooool), a UP162, The throttle 167 is still in there & has bindings & there's an ALP 163 w/bindings I was trying for a package price of around $200 but the oxygen, up & the 178 would put me over... so I'm trying not to rush but still get it by yesterday...it's only $$$$ right, Pete