Note to New Members ×

Ski boots - again!

andiss

I have boots - old Burton furnace- but just saw these online. The look to have potential as a combo boot

http://www.firstdegreeboots.com/boot_detail.cfm?productID=209

I've read all recent threads but I know down the line when kids are getting older it would be

Good to be able to go between ski and snowboard without bringing too much gear

That is the same general shell/ buckle arrangement as the x25 series Deeluxe boots. The lower mold was modified for a DIN toe and heel, and again, the plastic mix is supposedly a bit different. I'd guess it's pretty close for a good all-arounder.

2015-deeluxe-track325.jpg1bed805378dc795b35af9cfa629652d0.jpg

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

*EDIT- I don't know if the wings of the lower inside the cuff have been modified to stiffen this up laterally. I suspect not, but I don't know. The older LINE version of this boot was not.

product_112088.jpg

First Degree claims to have a pretty nice liner and footbed out of the box.

Looks to me like the ankle strap would impede flex.

Ski boots work ok with heavy modification, but why not buy the right tool for the job?

They're Deeluxe snowboard boots with DIN toe/heel. How would the ankle cable impede flex?

Only thing that raises my eyebrows is the 130 flex. I tried a pair of 120 flex ski boots two years ago and thought they were crazy stiff for boarding.

The stormtrooper flex in the white is softer than the black. Bought a pair in the first season release in my normal mondo 28 size for ski boot sizing...shocker...too big. Wear 27 in track700. Had 2 full days on them and liked the flex. Felt little more stiff than the track700. If you're looking for a dual purpose boot, I think the white would work. I still prefer step in td's over standard so for now, sticking with dedicated boots for each discipline.

They're Deeluxe snowboard boots with DIN toe/heel. How would the ankle cable impede flex?Only thing that raises my eyebrows is the 130 flex. I tried a pair of 120 flex ski boots two years ago and thought they were crazy stiff for boarding.

I didn't notice the cables. I thought it was a solid buckle. I stand corrected.

130 flex too stiff.

I repeat my "right tool for the job" statement. I started carving in ski boots and it seriously impeded my progress in free riding.

The stormtrooper flex in the white is softer than the black. Bought a pair in the first season release in my normal mondo 28 size for ski boot sizing...shocker...too big. Wear 27 in track700. Had 2 full days on them and liked the flex. Felt little more stiff than the track700. If you're looking for a dual purpose boot, I think the white would work. I still prefer step in td's over standard so for now, sticking with dedicated boots for each discipline.

I'm the last guy who should be giving advice or product reviews on anything because I'm not good at carving nor skiing.  However, I echo powdahbonz thoughts exactly.  I have track 700's also in addition to the ST1's and the flex is very similar (I have a harder time judging lateral flex though).  The sole lengths on the ST1's are very short too, so no issues with overhang like you might have with ski boots of the same mondo sizing.  Although the short sole lengths also mean that they are short in ski bindings as well, so they feel like you've got to torque the boot a little more if you have to make a quick change of direction in skis vs other skis boots.  But as far dual purpose use goes - I love ST1's.  The liner was uncomfy at first but got really good with several uses.  And they can be BTS'ed too (which I won't do because I use them as ski boots too)- you can find some pretty cheap pairs on the internet with a little bit of searching.