Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill under new ownership

DonPablo

i am curious for i too like to be entertained year-round.

from the picture the dry slope is on teachers pet. the top is too flat. might be better near the terrain park or the hill next of it (cant remember the name). but that would conflict with mountain biking.

i love what they've done to the top of milkrun. is that a restaurant? 

back in the 70's there was this commercial for Rondo - The Thirst Crusher. (Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator is an homage to Rondo). i wish i could find the commercial. it showed this guy in shorts going down the mountain without snow. he's cruising down the mountain and casually hitting jumps and doing spreads (never see him land). he was riding these weird land skis. 

so one summer day we heard Hyland had those skis. all of the neighbor kids begged our parents to go. off we went. the skis kind of looked like roller blades but you had to use ski boots. they were about 2 ft long and had a 2-3" tank tread made from nylon belt with plastic cleats. the tread slipped around some oval frame. it was not fun at all. hard to use. couldn't turn. i think we just went sideways down the fall line. almost every run we would have to remove the skis and dunk them in soapy water to clean them and then squirt Ivory soap into the tread for lubrication. i don't remember falling down but i'm sure i did. we never went back.

I'm excited for updates, but improving Buck Hill is going to be like watching an episode of Tiny House Hunters. That building on the top of the hill totally isn't going to happen.

Did you catch that comment about "what are the new owners going to do about blowing snow on 35W?"

I was searching for that Rondo commercial. Came across grass skis. I cannot believe those things are still being made.

http://www.grasskiusa.com

http://www.grasski.com/en/

I saw that comment, I assume they mean the blowing snow while the snow guns are running. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, the road is pretty straight there.

Now that I see a picture of the grass ski things, I remember seeing those things before.

How about some Gravel snowboarding?

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/288171/

Ouch!!!!! That guy's back!!! amazing how a gopro camera gives you courage.

I would prefer sandboarding. Google it.

We got so much sand in the south metro that a chairlift/excavator might work. On 160th street in Farmington (across from Cobblestone Lake development) there's a sand excavation company. I pass by there on my way to Welch.

I had an uncle who use to board in the sand dunes. Not sure how well it worked, The type of sand matters a lot, and steepness helps too. I think the artist drawing of Buck including something that doesn't exist yet. Plastic seems to be the way slopes are going to ski in the summer.

i'm amazed how fast those skiers are going. i wonder how much you would slide if you fell.

hypothetically if buck had dry slopes then i would expect it would be crowded with ski teams lined up in single file to race down a narrow white carpet. its bad enough during the winter that the general public loses hill space. if i went it would be in soft boots or skis.

just sayin'

i googled around on dry slope injuries. most common is a broken thumb. 

The aim of this study was to assess how common injuries to the upper limbs are from dry ski slope skiing, to document the pattern of injury to the upper limbs from dry ski slope skiing and to discuss preventative measures. Skier's experience was also determined. The study was carried out on 174 patients attending the accident and emergency department over a period of 3 years who had sustained injuries from dry ski slope skiing. Prospective registration was used to collect the data. Sixty-seven per cent of the patients had received instructions prior to skiing. Upper limb injuries outnumbered lower limb injuries by a ratio of 7.9 to 1. Thumb injuries outnumbered other injuries in the upper limb. The mechanism of injury was due to a fall in 94.2% of patients. It is concluded that the lattice network on dry ski slopes significantly contributes to the platform of injuries to the upper limbs, and ways in which the lattice network may be improved are recommended.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10839376

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The old dry slopes used to have an open mesh of bristles. The gaps in the mesh made catching a thumb quite likely. The newer materials don't have those gaps.

I think an inflatable snow dome on Milk run would be a winner. If snow domes can make money in Europe, where outlay, and overheads are much higher, it ought to be a money maker here in the US. Especially when the the snow making equipment, groomers and facilities are already right there. And when the dome is taken down at the end of September, Buck would be guaranteed to be the first ski area with snow for the season  :biggthump

i'm not sure if a snowdome would be economical but i wish they had the money to install one.

if you see dave, ask to see the samples. i think they should be displaying the samples in the ticket office. it looked to me that a thumb injury is still possible. wonder if they'll have someone on hand in the ski patrol office? probably not.

dave was saying that according to the manufacturer its preferable for riders to be wearing denim material so that when they fall they don't slide as far. how many skiers/snowboarders are going to be wearing long clothing on a hot summer day? just imagine how drenched your liners will become from sweat.

he was saying that at the end of season families move onto other activities like baseball, swimming, fishing, vacations, etc. and so the challenge will be to get people back for summer training. there will be the novelty where many people try it but then lose interest. how do you keep them coming back?

my suggestion would be to work with the fitness clubs to establish off season training programs. i've seen Lifetime doing paddleboard sessions at both Crystal lake and Calhoun.

i would most likely use the dry slope but that depends on the crowds. probably once a week. i can foresee the ski teams. especially the ski teams  monopolizing the runs.

remember when Bob Lurtsema tried setting up that Beaver Mountain (?) water park where Zombie Boardshop now stands? it had 5 water slides and 2 mini-golf courses. it didn't work out. might've been the location because it was a strange piece or real estate. dave said the ownership is considering installing a tubing run on Crossroads using dry slope. if the Beaver Mountain couldn't make it, then i don't know how a dry slope tubing run would make a difference. maybe with alcohol???