Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

bigwavedave

Did a couple of hours at Spirit today. First chair was at noon and already too warm. Rode on the Gandy side with Ski Patroller Don.

After 2PM, the sun started peeking through and got really soft and slow, so called it a day.

First chair Friday will be 10AM and may be able to get in a couple of hours before it deteriorates. 

Forecasts look pretty tough through mid week. Probably will be out Saturday AM

Could be the last day at Spirit for us. Rumor is that they will close for a few days after after Sunday and hope to survive til the return of normal temps later next week.

We rode from about 8:30 to 11:30. Had to keep your eye out for a few thin spots, but for the most part pretty fun. Everything was nicely groomed making the first several runs sublime─warm sun and a smooth surfy groom. Not too crowded either, but by late morning, things were pretty chopped up with deep trenches that were rough on the knees.

Rode with Russ, Ken and Don.

post-2809-0-26980500-1457821763_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-71051500-1457821797_thumb.jp

A clutch of Inclines, all with hardboots. 

post-2809-0-14324200-1457821820_thumb.jp

post-4132-0-64733900-1457826323_thumb.jp

It was a fun day, even with the slushy ride.

Here's a shot from the top of Bindle Stiff from early 1997. C lift is in the backround and Jane in front - no trees between Bindle Stiff and Sky Hooker

Yes, we wore rain gear. No such thing as 686,..., etc

Just when you thought the season was over, it sucks you back in again...

post-2809-0-57684000-1458158418_thumb.jp and to think, I almost started putting on the storage wax! 

Looks like snow is piling up from Indianhead to Giants Ridge. If this forecast becomes reality, I might be up to Spirit Sunday for closing day and then maybe another trip to Indianhead and/or Giants Ridge later.

Looks like snow is piling up from Indianhead to Giants Ridge. If this forecast becomes reality, I might be up to Spirit Sunday for closing day and then maybe another trip to Indianhead and/or Giants Ridge later.

My advice would be to keep your expectations in check, my friend. I got about 8" of heavy wet snow at my house, but there was less closer to the lake and it fell on top of a heavily water-saturated layer; even walking at Hartley tonight there are lots of deep slush pools in low spots on the trails. Hopefully that under layer will set up by the weekend. I have a patrol shift Saturday afternoon and can give you an update then.

I would be interested in either GR or Indianhead.

Excellent day at Spirit. Had very low expectations.  Got out at 10AM for a couple of hours. Very carvable and only rare brown spots. Great job by the hill of grooming considering the rain this week.

Lots of activity with the Fat Bike Race on Jugular Joe and setting up the water skiing in front of the main chalet.

Plan to be out tomorrow AM

On snow at 11:15 this morning - hit the conditions window just right. Got in a couple of hours of fast turns before things started getting sloppy. Saw Ken on his way out.

Spirit is going with 'Bonus Days':

- Wednesday 12p - 7p

- Thursday 12p - 7p

- Friday 12p - 7p

- Saturday 9a - 5p

Temps are forecast to stay on the cool side for the next couple of days - so we're not done yet!!!

Pretty nice day :1luvu: sunny and temps just above freezing, 3-4 inches of soft fine granular over an ice base─recipe for careful surfy carves using good form─no hero carving today, except maybe the first run. :biggthump Good uniform snow coverage, appeared to be about 1-1½ feet, but some brown spots were visible later. :nono: One run on the Coiler and then switched to the older Incline, my rock board, just in case. Not a scratch on either board at the end of the day.

The usual suspects were assembled... :cool:

post-2809-0-82182500-1458872197_thumb.jp

First tracks, just before noon opening today...

post-2809-0-80023000-1458880481_thumb.pn

Last tracks of the day...post-2809-0-51400800-1458872462_thumb.jp

...and maybe the last of the season for me at Spirit...unless there's a significant post season snow fall to lure me back for a hike & ride session.

Edited by bigwavedave

Rode Spirit from noon till 2PM. Joined by Ski Patroller Don for a few runs. 

Could have skipped the last several runs.

Surfed through slush the entire final run from the top of Gandy down Sky Hooker to Grand avenue.

Plan to be out for first chair Saturday. Might bring a soft boot setup for surfing 

Fact check using USGS topographic maps about elevations at Spirit.

Elevation at top of Gandy Lift           1205 feet

Elevation at bottom of Gandy Lift       780 feet

Elevation at top of Four Pipe Lift       1280 feet

Elevation at bottom of Four Pipe Lift   720 feet

Total Vertical on Gandy       425 Feet

Total Vertical on Four Pipe  560 Feet

There technically is 700 feet of vertical at Spirit if you count the wooded knoll on the other side of W. Skyline Parkway (1330 foot elevation) to

the bottom of Knowlton Creek at Grand Ave (630 foot elevation)

Edited by khoward

Good carving at Copper this year. Three bluebird days with epic amount of sunscreen and having a powder day today.

The snow's the best we've ever had for Nationals.

Jane chatted with Mimi coaching at GS today. 

Medal count is a gold in half pipe and silvers at GS and slopestyle. Slalom tomorrow

Edited by khoward

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like winter is finally here!  Pulled the boards out of the storage closet. Sounds like Spirit will open a run this weekend, so we expect a firsthand report from the boarder-patrol:eek:

Everyone is making snow! Buck and Wild should be in good shape by next week. There is a NorAm slalom (psl) race at Buck next weekend (Dec. 16-17-18). I will likely be there if they need volunteers on the course. Otherwise, ½ price Tuesdays at Wild til Spirit gets some terrain open.

Giants Ridge might be in good shape since they've had more natural snow.

See ya out there:biggthump