Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain

bigwavedave

OK, let's get this started:

Spirit panorama (1024x334).jpg

Spirit Mt in peak fall colors from Clough Island in the St Louis River. Rowing along the river, I saw the new pump house which will enable them to draw unlimited water from the river to make more snow faster!  The water is brown with tannins, so it will be interesting to see what color snow we will be riding on. 

Edited by bigwavedave

• 3 weeks later...

.......and will the illustrious Mr. Maron be joining us on that freshwater base this year? :cool:

...I can say there was a sighting a few weeks ago and word is he has settled in for another winter at Spirit. :biggthump

Here's an interesting article about recent developments at Spirit, and future plans... :eek:

http://duluthreader.com/articles/2015/10/22/6122_spirit_mountain_water_line

Interesting.  It sounds like good and bad news I guess.  My first question is whether it has an effect on the river discharge downstream.  I cannot imagine that anyone would let them siphon from the river if it had a major effect downstream.  I like the idea of making Spirit, and the area below it, more of a draw for things other than downhill but if it keeps raising the price I wonder if that will effect the amount of people that go?  I don't board much right now so it doesn't matter to me but my daughter is 8 months old so she should be carving in a few seasons and I always like Spirit Mountain.

The St Louis river, at the point that they are drawing from, is at the same level as Lake Superior. In other words, its the same as drawing water from the lake.  In spring, when it melts, much of it will go back into the river, so the net effect is minimal--better than using expensive treated city water (which also comes from the lake).  Spirit is still one of the least expensive ski areas in MN.

• 1 month later...

I confirm that rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated :nono:

Rode both days this weekend - better visibility and fewer fellow winter sports enthusiasts to contend with on Saturday, but I wouldn't describe either day as particularly crowded. Above freezing temperatures both days kept things soft. Only Bindle Stiff, Sissor Bill, and the last pitch of Four Pipe are open. Lots of blown snow sitting on upper Four Pipe but not groomed yet and the forecast for cold enough temps to blow more snow looks grim.

I would counsel patience, my friends, though it sure felt damn good to be making turns again!!!

Russ

Looking forward to seeing everyone and great to hear that Russ will be back at Spirit for this season.  Would agree that regardless of my usual late start on the season, it will be forced on everyone unless the weather turns.   See everyone soon. 

In the Buck Hill thread, Big Wave Dave says that this is the worst start to winter the he can remember - this is actually the warmest early December in Duluth since record keeping began.....in 1894! Rained all day on Thursday, but Spirit was open this weekend with a narrow version of Four Pipe open from the cut-off below the upper chalet to the bottom. I rode for an hour Saturday morning until it started getting too busy; I was back again today for a couple of hours filling in for another patroller. Far fewer people, perhaps because it was foggy and misty.......

This can't last too much longer can it?

In the Buck Hill thread, Big Wave Dave says that this is the worst start to winter the he can remember - this is actually the warmest early December in Duluth since record keeping began.....in 1894!

This can't last too much longer can it?

I'm not that old! :eplus2:  But Huttner's blog promises that winter's just around the corner, especially for Duluth. :eek:

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2015/12/monday-slop-storm-rain-sleet-and-snow/

Out in Big Sky.  Boarded the last 3 days, 4" to 6" every day. Better conditions than we had all last spring.  Lots of light fluffy pillows garnishing the bumps, and off piste is phenomenal. Still a couple of runs closed, but they will probably be open with Christmas Rush. Unfortunate that we rented out our condo, but it pays the  bills.

Was thinking about coming up tomorrow and/or Thursday. Anybody get out over the past few days that can give a condition update?

Freezing drizzle in tomorrow's updated forecast makes it less appealing now, maybe Thurs.

I was out Saturday morning - only Four Pipe, Sissor Bill, and Bindle Stiff open and inconsistent surface conditions. Warm again this evening so no more snowmaking for a day or two.

Russ

We're stuck in Big Sky over Christmas.  Passes going West are getting 8 to 12" and chains are required.  Ever try to get chains on a Subaru Imprezza sport?  Wheel wells get clogged and there's no room to even get you hand in.  Parts of 90 have been closed and Snowqualmie pass is now officially Snowmageddon.

Had the 8th straight day of powder, although it was a bit nippy.  Somehow 1 degree isn't as cold here as it is at Spirit.  Lots of fun. Unbelievably beautiful.  

Headed up to Spirit early this morning. :sleep:  Lots more snow evident on the drive up: :cool:

post-2809-0-62731600-1451258263_thumb.jppost-2809-0-76490000-1451258243_thumb.jp

:eplus2: Got first tracks at 8:45.  The sun and moon were out and the snow was good. A firm (not icy) surface made for 1" deep "trenches" at best and you could really lay into your turns! :1luvu:. Nicest carving day so far for me this year. :biggthump  Hooked up with Russ (rwmaron) for several runs. ScissorBill, 4pipe and DoubleJaw were best.  Later as legs were getting tired and the hill was getting crowded for a clean run (carvus :eek: interuptus), decided to quit around 1PM.

post-2809-0-95433100-1451258781_thumb.jp

...and there's more snow heading our way!

I second Dave's assessment - nicest carving day of the year so far! I took a mid-morning break, then came back out during the lunch hour lull, then called it quits about the same time as Dave. Snowmaking in progress around the clock and with the current forecast for continued cold weather, I'm guessing that we'll see all the runs opened by the New Year's weekend.

Russ

I plan to come up New Year's day to start the new year off on the right track. :biggthump  Spirit doesn't open til 11AM, but I plan to take that first run from the top before the lifts start up. :ph34r: Hopefully there will be more runs open to disperse the masses and give us some room to carve for a couple of hours...and the sun should be out!  :1luvu:

Last year it was so nice I had to hike up and take second run before the lifts fired up :ices_ange

post-2809-0-75881700-1451500585_thumb.jp

First tracks in sunshine before the lifts fired up and hiked halfway up for 2nd tracks. :1luvu:  Rode with Russ for about an hour or so until it started to get busy, switched to the short radius board, took a coffee break, got interviewed by local TV station (KDLH, film at six), rode til about 3pm (4½hrs total). Not a bad way to start the new year...and the snow was good, although some ice base on Bindle Stiff and Sky Hooker, which had rails and jumps on the right side :confused:.

post-2809-0-00106000-1451700588_thumb.pn

post-2809-0-29076700-1451700704_thumb.pn

Edited by bigwavedave

Rode for a couple of hours this morning - overcast at my house but sunny by the time I got to the hill. Big racing event had Blue Ruin and Gandy tied up; between the terrain features and kamikaze ski racers on the way to the B lift I stayed off of Sky Hooker. Bindle Stiff had icy patches down the center of the run, but everything else open was in good shape. No Ski Patrol bizness to attend to, so I made good use of my time. Still no lift lines on the Express when I left a little after 11am.

Came home and spent part of the afternoon in K-9 assisted fat biking - gotta love Duluth!

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

Finally made it out on Saturday.....as usual, first day felt like I was a flight attendant carrying two pots of hot coffee in high turbulence........Got busy by 10 AM due to last holiday weekend drive and took the cue and got off the hill by 10:30 having been happy just to have strapped a board to my feet.   Work continues to see major changes and this will be another challenging year to get to the hill but looking forward to finally catching up with the group.

Oh, and next letter is to Spirit Mt.... :AR15firin ....I am sure they are trying to appeal to the bigger group mindset, but putting all that apparatus on the last 400 feet of Four-Pipe is akin to creating 400 feet of constricted lift line prep.  You simply have to prepare the whole four hundred feet or so to avoid others in the constricted fee area and the chance (like last year's one obstacle they had) of getting caught up in some jibber's destruction along that area is pretty good odds......saw it happen at least four times last year and was caught up in one of those.     A waste to what was otherwise a great finish to the end of a great run.