Note to New Members ×

Helmet with audio suggestions

pmorita

I know many of us are in the middle of a heatwave but I need some motivation.  What are the best helmets with audio?  I just picked up a K2 Diversion and think it's pretty good, but the sound is way low and many online complain about the sound quality.  Where are the good helmets that will keep me safe, but have a decent sound quality to cure boredom on North East lift lines?

Thanks,

I busted the speakers out of a $5 set of headphones with 50mm drivers and inserted them into my zippered helmet ear flaps. I think most helmets have this feature now, so pick the one you want. They go way louder than I want, but I prefer my volume quite low. I can barely hear my music over wind noise when moving.

I just bought a pair of these at the end of last season: http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Wired-Chips/

They seem decent and I can touch the earpad to pause music instead of fumbling with my iPod Shuffle with mitts on.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pair of Skull Candy speakers that were decent in a POC helmet but when I put them into a RED helmet the sound was muted by excess foam over the speakers.  The solution I came up with was to remove the speaker from the helmet then heat a 16D framing nail with a torch (nail held with a pair of vise grips) then pierce the fabric and foam that covered the speaker with the hot nail.  Repeat for both left and right speakers.  The speaker area is about the diameter of a silver dollar (or less).  I was able to pierce 5 holes for each ear and this improved the sound.

Edited by Pat Donnelly