Note to New Members ×

Exit strategy. Looking for Colorado advice

slopestar

The girlfriend and I have been planning for sometime to get out of Southern California. We are planning to sell our home and purchase something somewhere in CO. Three of our four kids will join us as the oldest will soon leave the nest.

We like Arvada for the schools. I do very high end audio visual/ home theater and automation. She looks to work part time and we plan to ride... OFTEN! It's important that I live near affluence because of my line of work. I'm also a partner/owner in a new sock/apparel company and look to promote that business as well.

Your input is appreciated as we are looking to execute this plan over the next year. However long and where ever we land, your input is appreciated

Housing prices are rising quickly here. However, they may seem cheap compared to Ca (?). Arvada has some nice areas. Golden is nearby. Golden is "gentrifying" quickly. Golden is very near I-70 and access to the mountains. 

I'd say the biggest negative is access to the mountains (via I-70) is getting really bad. Traffic jams are the norm morning & afternoon, winter & summer. 

Genessee is just west of Golden, Evergreen is just west of Genessee. Don't know about the schools. 

You can look into mountain communities (Summit County). You would be much closer to riding but there tends to be snow on the ground all winter and it is pretty cold all winter. Don't know about the schools there either. 

Boulder County is north of Denver and will add 1/2 hour each way on the way to the mountains. Boulder County schools are supposed to be pretty good. 

The Denver area is a nice place to live but it ain't like "the good old days". It is getting pretty crowded. 

I live in west Arvada. I've been told Arvada Zip 80004 is on the upscale side as far as per-capita income. Rents are on the high side all over the denver metro area. Also it can be hard to find a house that isn't in a covenant community. I have a great hotshot Realtor if you need also.

There's a huge housing boom developing just north between hwy's 72 and 93. Lots of high end stuff going up. It will take several years to build out. Loveland is a 45 minute drive from the Ward exit. Abasin 1 hour, Copper, 1 hour 15 min. Winter Park 1 1/2 hours, Vail 1 hour 45 min. Boulder has money but it costs a fortune in every way. Eldora is only 30 minutes from Boulder, but adds 30 minutes to Summit county areas. There is also Lakewood and Westminster. The housing market, in general, is booming. People are getting into bidding wars, driving the asking price up as much as 10%. 

Don

Feed the Addiction... :eplus2:

Well, if you need to live near affluence, Aspen and the Roaring Fork Valley are always an option.  Aspen High School is the best high school in the state, and out of all 2500 in the country I think it's #125.  Yes, the cost of living is high, and purchasing a home is even pricier, but you pay for what you get: all the cultural amenities of a major metropolitan area without the metropolis.  The weather is much milder here than in Summit County, and traffic is pretty much non-existent.  Our slopes are vast and uncrowded.

Curious, can you buy a modest house in Aspen for under a million?

ETA: answering myself after a quick search: yes, well under if you are OK with a townhouse/condo or mobile home.  Real houses appear to start a bit under the million mark.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

We are looking in the low 300's with a fixer upper in mind. Budget is blown at 400 all in.

Parts of Arvada or Lakewood should be doable. Much of the affluence is in the western rim of suburbs, but you're not far from people who'd want the type of service you provide just about anywhere on the west side of town. It seems much of the growth is to the north or south, again on the western side of town. Boulder (like Aspen) is probably out of reach price-wise, but easily accessible. Golden may be a stretch too. They implemented a 1% annual cap on development in town, so it's altered the supply/demand curve a bit.

i don't live in CO but i have family there so i know a little.  give Stapleton a look, maybe.  seems to me that place would have plenty of folks that fit the demographic you're looking for - young professionals with good incomes who spend on that very type of thing.  competitively, even.  also, as a planned community, it's still got a lot more space to fill.  it's a fairly vibrant part of town.

maybe it's eastside proximity is a deterrent.  anyway, just a thought.