Note to New Members ×

?? US Postal Service to Canada ??

boarderboy

Anyone able to comment on the likely delivery time of a First Class business envelope from U.S., 27606, to Langley, BC, V3A8B3 ?

I was blown away by the cost of the various "expedited service" options, so I opted to gamble on standard 1st class.  Need to do this on a semi-regular basis, so I'd like to get a feel for ballpark delivery window.  The "varies by destination" disclaimer by our Postal Service isn't helpful.

Any speculation appreciated  :biggthump :biggthump

BB

Most of my USPS to Canada deliveries have been packages but the rule of thumb is. What ever Canada Post would charge for similar distance within Canada you will pay double from USA. Time usually doubles as well. US post office to border is usually pretty quick. Customs clearance is the time killer as item  sometimes sits in limbo for a couple of days. Up and down the ocean coasts is usually quicker than east coast to west. Probably more scrutiny if your sending seeds :nono: from Canada to US.

It's a crap shoot, and I've found it depends entirely on the Customs clearance. I ordered some parts for my car a few years ago that got stuck at the border for six days, and I've ordered other stuff that's been sitting in the mailbox four days after I push the button.

Everything I've sent standard from here has been 5-7 days. The last thing was some boots that I sent to Cuban in Ohio, they said five business days and I think it landed in six.

Agreed, ship times are highly variable. Sometimes it's 4 business days, sometimes it's 2 weeks.

The best part about USPS is that the brokerage fee is always $5. With UPS you can pay 50% (or more!) of the item cost when it arrives at your door after all the brokerage, taxes, and duty. Fedex is no better, but they send you a bill later so you don't even get to dispute the charges if they screw something up.

Agreed, ship times are highly variable. Sometimes it's 4 business days, sometimes it's 2 weeks.

The best part about USPS is that the brokerage fee is always $5. With UPS you can pay 50% (or more!) of the item cost when it arrives at your door after all the brokerage, taxes, and duty. Fedex is no better, but they send you a bill later so you don't even get to dispute the charges if they screw something up.

The best part about USPS is that it shows up at my local post office instead of a UPS or Fedex office that is open limited hours in the industrial section of the city.  I am never home to receive courier packages.  UPS is the worst.  Our office is only open weekdays from 4-6 pm and located such that you are bucking the worst rush hour traffic in the city to get there.

These days I pay the brokerage to Fedex directly on pickup, and their hours are decent (open on Saturday, yay!).  I can also arrange for the package to be held for pickup rather than UPS's requirement for one failed delivery attempt before rerouting.  I will pick Fedex over UPS anytime but regular post is the best.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill