Note to New Members ×

Technique differences for ICY conditions.

jatkinson

Hi All!

I now have a whopping 2 days under my belt in hard boots and am really enjoying the new challenge.  I have spent more time reading this forum than my employer should know about, and by midway through my second day things are starting to click.  My carving has improved drasticly from day 1 and while far from perfect I am pleased with the progress so far.

This winter has not been kind to Whistler (4cm of snow in the past month or so), and as a result many of the runs look more like inclined skating rinks than ski runs.  Are there any specific techniques I should be concentrating on when I hit those patches of bulletproof ice?  I suspect that the perfect technique is pretty much the same, but ice exposes flaws more than softer snow.  I have managed to find a rythym on icy spots from time to time and managed some decent carves, then other times I am sliding all over the place.  I have not managed to nail down the differences in my inputs that are causing this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cheers,

JJ

My suggestion is to try a plate on your board. As a new rider most will say this is a bad idea but if you do a little research on plates you will read that plates will make a board work better in poorer snow conditions. It's just what it does. Of course you have to have done all the other things first, sharp edges, proper technique etc. Perhaps someone in your area has one you can try. There have been a few for sale recently for really good prices. As a recreational rider I would recommend one like the Bomber 4mm lite. As an Ontario rider  on mostly boiler plate conditions it is always on one of my boards, we'll three actually. You can ride longer with more confidence without getting beat up in the slough. When conditions are good put the plate away.

Edited by lowrider

Thanks for the suggestions.

My suggestion is to try a plate on your board. As a new rider most will say this is a bad idea but if you do a little research on plates you will read that plates will make a board work better in poorer snow conditions. It's just what it does. Of course you have to have done all the other things first, sharp edges, proper technique etc. Perhaps someone in your area has one you can try. There have been a few for sale recently for really good prices. As a recreational rider I would recommend one like the Bomber 4mm lite. As an Ontario rider  on mostly boiler plate conditions it is always on one of my boards, we'll three actually. You can ride longer with more confidence without getting beat up in the slough. When conditions are good put the plate away.

The plates look interesting, but as I don't even have my own carving board yet, that will have to wait for a bit.

Stand up tall and you're toast.

I figured that one out pretty quick and have the bruises to prove it.  :freak3:   Staying low and angulating, keep weight directly over the edge (no toilet sitting or snow reaching) did seem to help.

TL;DR

JJ,

You can start by riding lower to the ground and you should be less affected. The problem is that the ice patch has less edge hold than the snow you were just on, so no matter what you are going to be driving your edges harder than the ice can hold. You will slide, period. With experience and different technique, you can hold the pose, slide across the ice, and hook up when the snow provides more edge hold. I experienced this while being coached by the Pureboarding instructors and it's a pretty good technique for safe boarding on variable snow conditions.

I'm going to be in Whistler this Thursday to Saturday, we can hit those ice patches together if you want. Send me a PM for my contact info.

Edited by breeseomatic

I am going to throw out my 15 year old perspective on technique.  This goes back to my days as an instructor; I have no idea what current thinking is, so please chime in if outdated.  

The general rule is the same technique is used for all conditions.  You can get away with bad technique on great snow, but good technique is essential when it is hard or icy.

Edited by sealcove
  • Like 1

2nd reading this - http://beckmannag.co...ding/riding-ice

Keep your shoulders level and stay compressed. Arms forward and held like a gunfighter. Relax your shoulders. It can help you to react quicker.

Stay light on your feet, ready to pressure the edge.

IMO, control on the ice is all about subtle movements and finesse. Jerky, exaggerated movements are usually punished severely. 

The problem is that the ice patch has less edge hold than the snow you were just on, so no matter what you are going to be driving your edges harder than the ice can hold. You will slide, period. With experience and different technique, you can hold the pose, slide across the ice, and hook up when the snow provides more edge hold. I experienced this while being coached by the Pureboarding instructors and it's a pretty good technique for safe boarding on variable snow conditions.

Would you care to elaborate on that?