Note to New Members ×

Time to have a C.O.W!

two_ravens

Thought I heard a moo...!?!?  Apparently at least a couple of people are interested in having a C.O.W. (Carvers Out West) gathering again this year, to convene at Grand Targhee Resort in beautiful Wydaho on the weekend of Mar 14 & 15. 

There is no aspect of this that is organized.  You are on your own for lodging (but I recommend Teton Valley Cabins, or the "Stay & Ski" packages on the hill are pretty good too.) 

Anyone with a season pass can get a buddy discount (I think it's 20% off regular day ticket price) for those needing to buy tickets, if ya'll can get the herd rounded up at the ticket office in the mornings.

Big Dog Dave was out today, infecting Wild Willy with his new Virus, and reports near ideal conditions!  I probably won't be there this year, but we have 2 carvers signed up so far - let's at least get enough to fill a quad!  Saddle up yer ponies and head 'em on out to the Ghee!!! 

Monodude, wish I could be there to witness the invasion! Sadly, I'm not able to go Fri, and at this point doesn't look like I'll be at White Pine on Wed either....

Allee, Mike, Ron (and HB!) just do it!!!!

Duke, awesome that you're coming up! Slowing the herd down is usually my job, glad you can fill in, in case I don't make it. No stampedes, now!!!

Ok, then.  I will not be attending COW.  Maybe another year.....   Duke, you will have plenty of good carvers to follow around, and hopefully the suggestions I posted on your thread have you headed a good direction.   Have fun!

Thanks and indeed good advice. 

Sooo.....any particular meeting place/time for COW or just follow the grooves and look for a set of hardboots?  I would guess everyone will be fighting for first tracks on the groomers.  ?

Well, BigDogDave is COW grand central this year, and he's just not a morning person! He says meet at the base of Dream Catcher at 9:30 - he's really going to try to be there at 9:30!  He will not be early!  If you need a lift ticket, with his season pass he can get 4 buddy passes each day at $59 each.  If you want to be on first chair, on Liftopia you can get a ticket on Sat for $66 (plus some taxes and fees I believe) and on Sunday they'll sell you a ticket for $56 + .  But with rather summerish conditions predicted. first chair might not be worth it - looking like spring melty freezy, so best conditions might be late morning.

And while first tracks can be extra nice, the BDD/Cramer/dredman crew will be cutting trenches until closing time (if conditions don't become lethal, or maybe even if they do.)  Bring your powerbars!  

Ok, Duke - one more bit of advice:  You are a new carver and you'll be trying to keep up with one of the most powered up group of carvers on the planet.  This is not an exaggeration, just ask people at SES who've tried to keep up with them.  To avoid being injured - pay attention to when you get tired or hungry. (This early in the learning curve, keep in mind that you will be working MUCH harder for each turn than they are.)  It's ok to sit out a few laps, take a break, eat something, quit a little earlier than they do - especially if conditions get soft and sloppy. (Soft conditions can cause you to 'bury the nose' aka 'fold the nose'. This produces deceleration forces that can be catastrophic to your board and bones.) This is important survival advice!  Quit while you still have one or two more laps in you and live to ride another day!  :)  

(Btw Duke - BigDogDave says he thinks he met you at Kelly Canyon?  He's one of the senior patrol guys there....) 

Have fun!

Only a few of us there.  Sadly, no group photo.  Conditions were actually pretty good in the morning....getting soft by noon and down right sloppy after that.  I like hero snow but I think I'm switching to softies for the rest of the season.  I think from now on it will be the sloppy stuff that....for me...is just fine on a surfy softy.  Overcast skies kept the melt from happening too fast for this day though! BigDogDave did give me some pointers.  

The photo is my boy with his Slayblade and I with my short, Rossi FC that is older than he is (I think...I can't get any info on the board so am not sure).  A good view of the Grand, but gray sky.  

It was a fun day.  Looking forward to next year.  I'll let you know how "surfing the slop" goes for the rest of the season.

post-6458-0-81499800-1426470083_thumb.jp