Note to New Members ×

FIS equipment rules for hardboots in BX

utahdeafcarver

Don't merge the labels!

FIS is not allowed to hold boardercross. FIS has "Snowboard Cross" races which is SBX in short form.

Boarder-X and Boardercross are registered trademarks and runs are way harder and are dedicated to true snowboarding only, not to skiing like on FIS! It can not be compared to what happens on FIS childgarden-area courses.

Even if it was open to every-one, Boarder-X and Boardercross had been a hard battle by six riders at same time on course, doesn't matter what kind of boots. Just because it was an open and not a private party race, like FIS do it.

Open means no childish rules, quotas, qualifications, homologations, photographers priority lists and so on, like on FIS imperium.

Open to every-one means you pay a start fee (US$ 120) for to join e.g. SWATCH Boardercross® World-Tour-Finals. You need a helmet, thats the only rule. And they recommend: some skill riding a snowboard can be helpfull for sure. Thats all!

Generics_Open_Boardercross.jpeg

Swatch_BX_2000.jpeg

and again we see 6 rider on course

Boarder_X_2001.jpeg

Edited by snowmatic
  • Like 2

Buddy above... You're out of it.

Ya, maybe FIS isn't the crew you want running snowboarding, but saying a modern SBX course is a "child-garden" is pretty dumb. They're f'in gnarly. Going even farther into crazy-land, to say that ISF and Swatch tour courses from the last century were more challenging is, well, crazy.

The only race that took it to the next level (too far, if you asked anyone out of the top 10) was X Games and their last jump from a few seasons back... A "normal" track until the final straight, then a jump that saw a few racers carted off under soneone else's power.

To the OP, setups are stiff for softboots, but not hardboot stiff for the mentioned reasons. Square tails were eliminated for safety.

Edited by Rob Stevens

Thanks all!  

Just as a point of reference, I was the only hardbooter in the USASA Nationals (40-49 age group) SBX last year and took 2nd.  I won the time trials and had lane choice all the way.  The four-man final was not easy competition at all.  I'm aware of the square-tailed board limitation and used a stiff Volkl XXX all-mountain board (probably 10 years old!).  I used my standard TD3's with the softest e-ring (yellow) and Deeluxe hardboots (stiff but with quite a bit of flex).

With this said, wouldn't it be fair to say that rider skill has much more to do with it than a softboot setup?  I had no trouble pumping and jumping in my regional SBX races last year (the courses weren't "Nationals" level but they weren't "child-garden" either), nor at Nationals.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but we all know people have done all sorts of freestyle tricks in hardboots, some even taking the AASI/PSIA tests in hardboots.

Appreciate all who have shared their views.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember the first Olympics SBX finals in 2006 where a guy in hardboots led most of the way, clearly faster, gets passed (off camera) by Seth Wescot, who then protects his lead by clearly interfering with the faster guy about to pass him on the inside line by turning his board sideways across the course (1:49) and then continues to block near the finish by drifting across the faster guy's line. "Interference" I cried, and then realized there are no rules for boarder cross, it's a free-for-all that is not about who's fastest through the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxUcCTfFVk

At least short track speed skating has enforced rules about passing and interfering.

It's a dog eat dog world out there. Same thing happens in surfing, if you get out in front the guy behind you has to look out for you, not the other way around.

The surfing analogy works for recreational riding as it's similar to the skiers code, but surfers aren't racing.

Many other race competitions that put several racers on the same course, at the same time, have rules for safe/fair passing and right-of-way. SBX doesn't seem to and doesn't seem to care, which makes me much less interested in it as a competition. I suppose it's like NASCAR and people watch it for the crashes?

I suppose it's like NASCAR and people watch it for the crashes?

Certainly seems that way. I stopped watching SBX or whatever you want to call it when I realized that it's basically a gladiator fight - putting young people on a course and base much of the suspense on how close they are to getting hurt. Last winter I was at a resort where a larger ski-cross and SBX competition was being held. I rode the gondola with two young riders, one of which told the other about how she was going to race even though she had trouble bending and unbending her knee.