Note to New Members ×

Which soft bindings for a Tanker?

D.T.

I have now been initiated to the world of the Tanker thanks to Dave @ hardbooter.com, who was willing to send me a 182cm demo. This is a great ride for the days when I do not want to be on a skinny board.

I would prefer a STIFF soft binding. My questions are:

1) What soft bindings have any of you tanker owners had good luck with?

2) What are opinions of the Catek Freerides?

Dustin

is one solid binding takes awhile to get it dialed though

just make sure you get either the pros or you put on some decent straps from another pair of bindings on mine I have the burton P1 HD straps and I would not trade that binding for anything

If price does not matter, I recommend Flow team. It costs about $400+ but

the way it rides, it's worth every penny. My friend bought it for close to $600 CDN.

But I think you can do better. It has magnesium base plate that actually flexes

so it flexes with board when you carve. And also you know how Flow is when it

comes to stiffness. Hope you can find it

I've ridden the Tanker 200 with Catek Long Plates and with Raichle X-Bones and I'd have to say that if you do go with a plate binding go with something soft.

In the Cateks I was feeling EVERYTHING (ruts, grooves, bumps, crushed, etc). But you don't need to feel everything as you would want to on a high performance board. The Tanker can have a longboard feel to it and trying to put performance bindings that transmit everything to the rider only lessons the stoke of being able to flow effortlessly over everything.

I have yet to put my Flows on it, may try it this weekend, but I would agree with a stiff flow as an option.

Just my 2 cents.

btw, a recent check onto hardbooter.com doesn't show any boards except F2, what else does Dave have in that Rad-Air stash?

At 215 lbs., I feel that I could overpower the Tanker using soft bindings; hence, hard plates would be even worse. The Tanker will only be used when its steep, deep or I am in the trees. I have yet to develop the style to be able to ride hardplates in steep and tight tree conditions. I was testing the Tanker on the double diamonds in the back bowls at Copper Mountain (read: no groomed trails in sight). ;)

I have been looking at the Flow C-FR and C-XFR, just do not like the retail price; this takes the Flow Team binding out of the question. My thoughts are if I am going to spend that much $$$, I might as well buy the Freeride Pros.

RJ-PS,

On hardbooter.com you have to click the "Powder Days" link on the home page to get to the Rad-Air's. Dave has 177W, 182 and 187W Tankers for $349.99 with free shipping. Here is the link.

I want one of those 187 wides. I have a 192 and 2k that are both slightly used if anyone is interested (will sell only one). I use catek stepin's with rachlie 325's and it works great. I like the control of full on plates verses the softbinding route. A bonus of using intec's is that if you are caught in a slide you can pull your cables to release the board.

Now if we could actually get some snow in the PNW. Its going to be an ugly dry summer.....

Jim :(

I've had great luck with SST pro clickers, mounted on Palmer pro-link stack plates. Try to find a stiff model of boot too. (K2 transformer, for example) I'm a believer in riding soft boots with the Tankers for the surf-style ripping that they demand. I haven't found any other board to come close to the sweet nectar of the Rad-Air Tanker!

Dave, you HAD your chance for a brand new Tanker at 250$ delivered!! You are too big for a little 172cm , We will prove it if we ever getting another big dump!!! 200cm RULES the deep!!

PS. A very nice young man picked up your Prior tonight.

He will be delivering it to you in Bend shortly. Thanks for the quick payment. Let me know how that "Manly" board works:D

Enjoy, Bryan

Still haven't ridden my 187cm. One of the bros in Bend loves his new one. Says it is the tool for the deep days in the woods. Quick turning yet still lots of float. Ideal for large feet and lower angles. Perty board too!!

Bryan

182cm

187cm

3) 200cm

3) 200cm

This was half the shipment this summer.

All gone, you know who you are!!;)

Guest thomas_m

I'm dying to ride my 200 but my pessimistic guess is that it will be next year given the way this season has gone...

I'd love to have a 172 as my 'everyday' softboot board to go along with the flexy Option 161 I use for fooling around with the kids.

T.

bryan

I wasnt sure about the board then. Im nowhere near as impulsive as you!

anyway...200 is just too much. period. a 172 would be an all arounder, thats all. I think Id be ok on it. hell...used to ride a morrow revert 56...weighed a little less at about 190 or so, but not much.

rode that in pow no prob.