Note to New Members ×

Who rides the "Pureboarding" style

Bobby Buggs

I did the test for bow legged by standing with my ankles together with bare feet and my knees do not touch. I can put 2 fingers in the gap betwween my knees. I did not bother to check for this until this year. I have to force my legs together to get them to touch.  I do not have  a video camera at this time.   Beckman You are correct for me to think about what I am not doing.  I should try outward cant on the rear foot as this is one thing that some bowlegged people have done. or try adjusting outward cant on the boot as the article I read said that not much is needed.  I  had to use saxophone as a comparison  because  I play it well and know what to do to make it work as I am a band instrument repairman  and a player. I am able to make the correct inputs on a saxophone to get good results. I have to have a certain reed and mouthpiece set up to get the best sound but I know what that is. I do have better skills on a saxophone than I do on a snowboard. I do see people trying to play a saxophone in bad shape and it does not work. My job is to get the horn working so that they can play it well. Some people simply cannot play that well even with  good gear. My snowboards do not have dull edges.  I will continue to work on this and see what I can do?  

You already have a sense of timing and input modulation from the sax, so maybe approach the board as though it's a musical instrument and not an athletic pursuit.

And I should clarify that it's not so much the notes you play that matter, it's more the notes you selectively don't play that lead to a 'clear' performance.

• 1 year later...

Is anyone who is riding Pureboarding style having a problem with their knee hurting on the rear leg? I have one more thing to try to solve this which will be a softer rear boot. I am riding my Deluxe Susaka in walk mode in the rear. I also went to a flat rear binding because I am bow legged.  I am riding both bindings flat after trying a 6 degree cant in the rear and a 3 degree cant in the rear. If I can't get comfortable enough I will have to abandon the pureboarding stance and go back to 50 and 45 instead of 50 and 35 or so.my knee is not wrecked but I am concerned about not doing it any good as I feel that it should not hurt much at all. I am going to try a Lemans boot in the rear with walk mode or very soft bTS next? I guess I will not be riding a Pureboarding board either if I have to go back to 50 and 45? We will have to see?

Try to widen your stance and I think you'll go better.

Because of this thread I decided to set up a board with the PB settings. 

What I realized is that my All Mountain boards were already set up very close to what the PB guys suggest.  For me by back foot was already at the recommended PB angle, but I was riding flat and with less front foot angle.  

I am using F2 bindings, so I added two of the thin wedges (8 degress cant, no lift) to the back foot.  To get a comfortable and relaxed stance, when doing carpet test, I needed to widen my stance a little bit and add more front foot angle; before doing this I was getting a bit of front quad burn when just standing.

These changes have turned out to make for one of the most comfortable set ups I have ridden in a long time, for all mountain riding.  I am a bit blown away at how much I like these two small changes!  For me personally this set up feels like riding my Carveboard in the summer time, a real surf/skate stance feel.

Perhaps more cant and experimenting with your stance width may help to take some pressure off of your rear knee as this is what helped with my front quad?

Cheers

Rob

I agree.

Also for me to widen my stance (compared to a flat stance) and to add the unicant at the rear was a good improvement.

I don't use the original F2 wdges (poor plastic, prone to broken) but also with F2 bindings race titanium or carve rs I use the Unicant; as the Unicant holes are offsetted of 22,5% you must add 22,5% to the angle wanted in the rear.

Please what is your stance in relation to your height?

Cheers

Pietro

Edited by H2O

Please what is your stance in relation to your height?

Hello Pietro

Wow, I was a bit surprise to see this older thread again!

I am 6 feet tall with a 32" leg inseam and use a 22" stance width as a starting reference.  When riding flat front and back with about 8 degrees of splay I move my bindings a bit narrower.  When riding with 18 degrees of splay I move my bindings a bit wider and use 8 degrees of rear cant.  For me personally I don't like any heel lift and have never broken a binding part, other than a rear heel bail.

I noticed you have a Pogo Shaman, beautiful board!  I have set up my Pogo Longboard 180 with a PB stance binding type set up; a direct result of this thread.  I can't say I ride in the PureBoarding Style at all.  I personally am more influenced by soft boot riders like the two young Swiss guys who started Korua or the Japanese Gentemstick crew.  This old is new again snowsurfing movement is a softboot thing, but I find the PB stance settings and hardboots can create a VERY similar style and feeling.  This style of riding is fun and an old fart like me will be able to ride this way for years to come!  Cool how a thread can influence a riders settings, guess it is good to keep an open mind:)

Cheers

Rob 

post-171-0-81544200-1455895873_thumb.jpg

This topic ( sorry about the offtopic / hijack trend....) is ringing a bell with the thoughts I have now regarding gear...

I am not sure to understand the trends to very specialized tools we see this day....binding less boards, short gemstick like 150-155 max boards for midgets ( am 6'2"..), even edge less boards like we had in the early 80's...

To me it sounds like a hipster revival thing, making cool things from the past ( shapes, feels)...and is making things look like a huge creative steps when I think its more of a regression...

The reason why: versatility

Its lost in the process

Its not sexy

The most difficult board to make is the most versatile, taking years of experience, fine tuning, experiments. The board that is able to carve like a freecarve board, handle powder like a big swallowtail, handle trees, crust, bumps, ice, all in the same day.

I think the great evolution from the 80's is that we had finally reach versatility and efficiency...strong reliable setups...and now we see boards you can use in pow but not even think of handling in steeps, or turn on ice...what's the point?

Does it comes from the globalized media?, the fact that bottomless powder vids from Japan are more appealing than watching riders go from steep couloir to icy hardpack and various terrain? Is it hipster's trend to cool woody look boards ( just varnish a plank and brand it..)..no idea...

Here in europe we have mountains that require tools that are versatile, not specialized....hopefully there is still shapers not forgetting the perfect versatile board quest! I still want to be able to ride one board in the same day from top to bottom in all the terrains I will encounter..

N.

;-) Maybe a separate thread needed?

I get your point regarding old things. An analogy would be with vinyl records - I had my fill of those back in the day, to people like me they're crazy things, but children like them, I'm told. I may ride rings around them, but otherwise I don't need to spoil their fun.

Personally I don't need a powder board which will work on ice, although I would argue that my Landlord is entirely at home in a wide range of snow conditions off piste.

European conditions are different, that's all.

Hi Nils

Very nice to read your thoughts.

For me it is not an equipment thing that is influencing me with this trend at all, I too am a big guy.  What I like about this movement is that it is moving away from guys doing 15 flips with 10 twist and the way huge tricks has dominated everything that is modern snowboarding.  What I like is seeing young guys enjoying a carved turn simply for the feeling a nice turn gives.  I also like that these turns are enjoyed with friends.  This is where snowboarding started and I like that some guys are trying to get back to this ... regardless of what equipment a guy decides to ride!  

Cheers
Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

The right knee is not hurting anymore and I am riding with flat bindings and outward cant on the rear foot as I mentioned earlier that I am quite bowlegged.I have gone down to 45 in the front and about 33 in the rear for angles as I have small  feet and the Pureboarding board is wide for me with 26 mondo boots.  I am getting outward cant with the boot and that seems to be enough.  I can't believe this has been more than a year since I started doing this already? A year since  I took the Pureboarding clinic.  19" stance 5'10" 30" inseam for those that want to know. I am carving a little bit better than last year and having fun. I have been riding for many years and have always enjoyed riding all mountain and not just carving.  i am not interested in riding race boards anymore as I like the variety that you can have riding all mountain boards. I also ride older boards- Hot spot Burton Alp and some others.   i don't know if I like rotating when carving but there are many ways to carve. I like the shorter boards again as I did many years ago as I used to ride a Mistral 159 asym all mountain. i mostly ride boards from 158 to 164 now and don't see the need to go longer.  i

I'm not sure you would say I have a particular style except I want to have fun . I guess I'm a fun style. I have been riding at least 25 yrs. Hardboots for 10 . Not a great carver but a good snowboarder. Usually angles at 55 or 60 . After recently reading this thread I dropped my rear foot down to 35 last weekend and left my front at 60 . I rode so much better and felt much more comfortable . So I think I need to work on my pure boarding style

Hello Pietro

Wow, I was a bit surprise to see this older thread again!

I am 6 feet tall with a 32" leg inseam and use a 22" stance width as a starting reference. When riding flat front and back with about 8 degrees of splay I move my bindings a bit narrower. When riding with 18 degrees of splay I move my bindings a bit wider and use 8 degrees of rear cant. For me personally I don't like any heel lift and have never broken a binding part, other than a rear heel bail.

I noticed you have a Pogo Shaman, beautiful board! I have set up my Pogo Longboard 180 with a PB stance binding type set up; a direct result of this thread. I can't say I ride in the PureBoarding Style at all. I personally am more influenced by soft boot riders like the two young Swiss guys who started Korua or the Japanese Gentemstick crew. This old is new again snowsurfing movement is a softboot thing, but I find the PB stance settings and hardboots can create a VERY similar style and feeling. This style of riding is fun and an old fart like me will be able to ride this way for years to come! Cool how a thread can influence a riders settings, guess it is good to keep an open mind:)

Cheers

Rob

Hello Rob,

Thank you very much for your informations.

For me too Pogo are beautiful boards and the Longboard could be my next board.

I agree with your issues and I think the PB setting and style a really multipourpose way of riding, and especially not boring.

Cheers

Pietro

Edited by H2O