Note to New Members ×

Crazy obsessed carvers

John E

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious on this one too. I always thought if I bought softies I'd get the stiffest set up possible but maybe it makes no sense to try to mimic my hard boot gear.

For powder days out here in Colorado I rock these bad girls

http://www.deeluxe.com/products/empire-lara/

They are super stiff for soft boots but I can rage them in the trees (which is all I do on powder days). I could probably put my hardboots on my AM and be just fine but all the bumps, jumps, and terrain would kill my feet by the end of the day, so I opted to just get stiff soft boots.

They're also stiff enough that I can still lay down some trenches when I get to the bottom of the trails and have to cruise the catwalks or take a blue to traverse the mountain. My main limiter of my carving in these is my board (Salamon Maiden) I usually trench it until I fold the nose and then back it off from there.

I have the blessing of midget feet too so no matter my stance I don't get "boot out"

^do AT boots differ in snowboard compatibility with standard ski boots (ie, different flex characteristics, etc)? some nice at hardware out there (was drooling over some super light carbon dynafit boots the other day).

Standard ski boots are much stiffer and heavier than AT boots, and my AT boots (Scarpa Magic) are a even quite a bit softer than my carving boots. Many do quite a bit of modification to their AT boots to get the exact flex they want for snowboarding, but I just ride mine in walk mode - that is no doubt almost as safe as riding a standard hardboot in walk mode :eek: but I weigh almost nothing and am good at absorbing terrain variations, so I seem to be getting away with it.

Mike, I think maybe you summed up the difference well. In my limited powder experience and almost exclusive hardboot riding for 20 years, untracked powder was great in hardboots, but I found the deep, tracked up powder conditions in Aspen challenging and exhausting in hardboots.

That said, I'ld love to hear what folks recommend for good soft boots and bindings for powder? I might just have to give the soft set up a another try for the occasional pow encounter. I've gotten along without softies all these years as they are far from the best tool for riding on "Minnesota firm". I already have the board, a Nomad.

John, it was great hanging out with you. If you haven't seen it, you might find softbootsailor's post today interesting, relating his experience seeing a skier get caught in a Highlands Bowl avalanche 30 years ago.

I was at Mammoth Mtn for the first weekend of March when it dumped 41" in 2 days. I found the deep, tracked up powder conditions to be exhausting on SOFTBOOTS and a powder board (Furberg 162). The next day, I switched to hardboots and plate bindings (same powder board) and found the going much easier. My hardboots are on the flexy side (SB413 w/ BTS), but they're still quite a bit stiffer than my soft boots (K2 T1's). My hardboots were a lot more comfy for doing jump turns in the steep, soft moguls. The hardboots were feeling heavy when I did some hiking for some freshies.

After the above experience, I'll be sticking to hardboots/plate bindings for all mountain riding. My SB413's are getting old, so I've got some Dynafit TLT5 AT boots on order. The Dynafits should be about half the weight of the SB413's w/ BTS.

Fair enough. Keep in mind I love deep fresh snow as well as the next guy, probably more then most.

Why ? Because it is a carving event? It wasn't a "Heli Vacation" it wasn't a "Powder 8s" competition.

Bomber is a specific group of alpine snowboarders who are passionate about gear that works best on caulky hard pack.

Allot of riders seldom see fresh snow, may not even own a soft boot set up or powder board. I am sure that many did bring pow boards or made arrangements to enjoy the freshies.

Those that travel there have a noted disadvantage over those that live near by or travel by car.

They are not "Crazy" , perhaps obsessed , they are avid snowboarders that have spent considerably more time , money and effort to arrive at this carving event then those that live nearby. I am guessing many did take full advantage of the new snow and sharing it with like minded alpine friends.

Bryan

What was the question again? :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went into the closet the other day and found this gift from my past self to my future self. Forgot I had these, a brand new pair of Burton freecarve hard boots. I tried them in the backyard and I think they might work better on the powder board than my Track 700's, they feel a lot flexier. Anyone know how these compare to any of the other above recommended boots?

post-8510-141842413135_thumb.jpg

Isn't that easier to swap springs of your BTS (if you have one already) to accommodate different riding conditions? (although I have several other pairs to play with..)

These have much more flex all around, including laterally, than the softest BTS springs allow with the T700 boots. I never rode them because the cuff seemed too low, but I never had a soft pow board before. When I took them out on the Nomad on a gentle nearby hill, I liked the flexibility. In comparison, the T700's are so stiff that in super soft conditions, like deep powder, that I can't flex my legs and shift my weight to absorb terrain changes without also applying too much pressure to the board.

I was wondering if the Raichle 123's, or some of the other softer hard boots recommended, have a higher cuff than the Burton freecarves?

Edited by bigwavedave

Dave, I have used the Raichle 314 off and on. They are the softest I know of that still accepts all the new cool accessories.

Like the BTS and The Fin Tec Heels. I have a couple pair, a pair of M29 AND M30s for sale.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Thanks Brian, I saw those. I'm M28. Definitely will keep a look out for something softer, in the meantime I'm gonna give these freecarves another try. They seem to feel ok on the softer, wider board that allows more relaxed angles. I'll have to see how they are on more challenging terrain.

...oh, not much else of interest snowboarding-wise in the closet, but you might find these interesting...

post-8510-141842413139_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got my hands on a pair of Raichle 323's, which should be the same as the 413's Brian has. The cuff is about 3 inches taller than the Burton freecarves. Super soft plastic (compared to my T700's and reactor/furnace boots) with lots of flex in all directions, similar to the freecarves, although nicer fore & aft flex with the yellow BTS.

I've learned a lot about boots from this thread and think the "soft" hardboot may be a good way to go for a powder board--I only have to get a 2nd pair of boots, not new bindings too. I didn't know they made such soft hard boots and suspect they are similar in flex to a stiff soft boot.

I found this thread helpful in deciphering the Raichle boot numbers:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?3655-how-to-decipher-Raichle-numbers&p=27432#post27432

So, for the SB series boots you get:

older...............................newer

Soft: 123 = 223 = 323 = 413

Medium: 124 = 224 = 324 = 423 = Lemans

Stiff: 125 = 225 = 325

And for the AF series boots you get:

Stiff: AF600 = Susuka

Very stiff: AF700 = Indy

323 compared to freecarve:

post-8510-141842414045_thumb.jpg

I've recently switched from SB413 w/ BTS to Dynafit TLT5.

The TLT5 rides just as well as the SB413 w/ BTS, but the TLT5 is about half the weight!

For stiffness:

Stiffer.............softer

Stock SB413= stock TLT5 with tongue in ride mode > SB413 w/BTS > TLT5 in walk mode w/ optional tongue

Those look nice, but kind of pricey compared to a used pair of SB's. Do they work with Bomber bindings?

Yeah, TLT5/6 are expensive. I saw some used TLT5's on EBAY that sold for $200 to $300, but I couldn't used, cheap ones in my size. I got new 2011/12 TLT5 for $380.

I've used my TLT5 with F2 and Burton plate bindings. I've read about riders using them with the Bomber Splitboarder bindings.