Note to New Members ×

Tanker vs Dupraz vs ?? for Powder, Carving and Moguls

gdboytyler

I currently have a Dupraz 5’5” (165cm) which I ride with soft boots. As expected the Dupraz works great in open powder. It also carves pretty good. I can get totally laid-out, armpit dragging EC style turns on my toeside with the Dupraz on good conditions. I boot-out on heel side EC turns. However, the Dupraz feels too heavy/long when going through moguls. I’m 5’7”, 135 lb.

So I’m looking for a board that can match the Dupraz in powder and carving groomers, but also be lighter/shorter for moguls and tight tree runs.

I’ve read some rave reviews on the rockered Rad Air Tankers, so the new Tanker 162 is on the top of my list. Has anybody compared the Tanker vs the Dupraz? I’ve tried the older, cambered Tanker 172 in the past, but it was too long/heavy for the moguls.

I’m also tempted to get a 5’2” Dupraz (158cm) for better mogul performance, but I’m worried I might lose too much carving ability with the shorter length.

In the past, I’ve had the original Burton Fish 156MD (great in pow/moguls, bad for carving) and OSin 168 (great pow, decent carving).

Any other recommendations?

Fissile 161: If I stay with this shape, I'm starting to lean towards the Donek Nomad 154/159 because I'd like to try out the variable SCR on a freeride board.

Swoard Dual 163: Thanks for the reminder. After further research, it seems like the Dual is more for carving and less for powder. It's probably the most expensive board that I'm considering.

Tanker 162: specs are almost identical to the Dual 163. However, I haven't been able to find any reviews on the new rockered 162 version.

Ferburg 162: although this shape does not carve well on groomers (according to a number of reviews), I'm getting really interested in it because of it's all-around back-country performance.

After owning the Dupraz for a number of years, the following are spots where I've had problems with the board

* hard/icy crust over deep powder: the wide nose caught on the icy crust resulting in a nice face plant. Probably the most difficult pow conditions I've ridden in.

* hard, chunky moguls have caught the wide tail.

The design of the Ferburg seems like it might make the harder off-piste conditions easier to ride. If that's true, I'd be willing to slarve turns on groomers on the way to the pow and moguls.

SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/archive/index.php/t-28276.html

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/archive/index.php/t-28956.html

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/archive/index.php/t-29848.html

It would appear the rockered Tanker 162 you seek does not exist?

Buell gives some very good reviews on the 172cm though.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

162 Rockered Tankers are back in production again as demand from many riders from around the world helped bring them back...not sure if anyone has imported them to the states though.

Tanker 162 EE: 124.5 Nose: 30.5 Waist: 25.4 Tail: 29.0 Sidecut Radius: 9.25

cheers,

sandy

162 Rockered Tankers are back in production again as demand from many riders from around the world helped bring them back...not sure if anyone has imported them to the states though.

Tanker 162 EE: 124.5 Nose: 30.5 Waist: 25.4 Tail: 29.0 Sidecut Radius: 9.25

cheers,

sandy

I found the new Tanker 162 available on Blue-Tomato, but nowhere else.

Impulse buying helped make my decision. The Furberg 162 was the only one of my options that was available for immediate shipment AND early enough delivery to arrive before the forecasted snowstorm next week at Mammoth. So I ordered the Furberg and it should arrive on Tuesday, 2/18/14 and hopefully testing it in some powder on Thursday or Friday. I'll also bring the Dupraz 5'5", just in case I hate the Furberg. My Coiler 171 will also be on the trip for when the powder is all gone.

DONEK NOMAD.

Jeesh, this question and similar ones come up all the time and I can't believe I'm one of the few people to have a Donek Nomad. This thing SLAYS in powder... it's Donek's Dupraz style shape, with a huge shovel, generous decamber up front, camber under foot, stiff stubby tail, mondo taper. The tail is stiff enough to carve hard if you want. I got mine in carbon (crazy light), 172, 23 cm waist, and I ride it with hardboots. I have a 192 Tanker as well, one of the good years, and I love my Nomad more... this is probably sacrilege to a couple people on this board so I'll probably get flamed. =)

DONEK NOMAD.

Jeesh, this question and similar ones come up all the time and I can't believe I'm one of the few people to have a Donek Nomad. This thing SLAYS in powder... it's Donek's Dupraz style shape, with a huge shovel, generous decamber up front, camber under foot, stiff stubby tail, mondo taper. The tail is stiff enough to carve hard if you want. I got mine in carbon (crazy light), 172, 23 cm waist, and I ride it with hardboots. I have a 192 Tanker as well, one of the good years, and I love my Nomad more... this is probably sacrilege to a couple people on this board so I'll probably get flamed. =)

Yeah, but this is the first pow/carve thread for 2014:p I posted a similar thread back in 2008 before I bought my Dupraz.

6 years later, I still think the Dupraz is a great powder board, but was looking for something new/different/better.

A couple of years ago, I bought a V-rocker Burton Custom 152. The Burton Custom carves better than the Dupraz and the Burton is also the best mogul board I've tried. However, the short Custom 152 was too much work in powder. The V-rocker made me a believer in the rockered shapes.

I use to own a Tanker 172, but I sold that in favor of the Dupraz. If the Furberger works out, it might be another 6 years before I shop for another powder board.

Yeah, but this is the first pow/carve thread for 2014:p I posted a similar thread back in 2008 before I bought my Dupraz.

6 years later, I still think the Dupraz is a great powder board, but was looking for something new/different/better.

A couple of years ago, I bought a V-rocker Burton Custom 152. The Burton Custom carves better than the Dupraz and the Burton is also the best mogul board I've tried. However, the short Custom 152 was too much work in powder. The V-rocker made me a believer in the rockered shapes.

I use to own a Tanker 172, but I sold that in favor of the Dupraz. If the Furberger works out, it might be another 6 years before I shop for another powder board.

The Nomad has a progressive sidecut varying from 7 to 12 for the longer boards to 7 to 9 for the shorter boards, standard lengths from 149 to 164. The shovel's very small sidecut makes it super turny for the steeper bumpier stuff. I find it quite maneuverable despite the 172 length of my board because of this. When the surface is very soft or in deep powder the sidecut I find is not as noticeable but just manifests as easy turn initiation. Anyway, wonderful board, have had a lot of very good days on it this year so far despite the crappy conditions we've been getting in the pacific northwest.