Note to New Members ×

Northwave pictures,dimensions, specs, everything needed

theboarderdude

In my 3d design class, I have ALOT of spare time, enough that I didn't have to do any work whatsoever in November. I figured I'd put that to good use this spring and attempt to design Northwave's in AutoCAD inventor.

I need any pictures you have, dimensions for anything on the shell. I'm an idiot and can't activate messaging on here, so please email me at drew.ellison1 at gmail.com. If you have dimensions, please include what size, mondo, you are referencing.

When finished, these drawings can be reversed and made into molds. So please, contribute whatever you can! :biggthump:biggthump

Drew, what you create from pics/ measurements will not be the NW boot, no matter how hard you tried.

You might just as well start from scratch and design your own product. You'll have way more fun and might create something better then over glorified NW...

I'd start by studying the anatomy of average human foot. Model the foot/lower leg, the liner, then model the shell.

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just sent some photos through. The larger photos are from a pair of mondo 28s I got my hands on but which were just too small for me, and I passed them on to DiveBomber. He's had that and a pair of 29s through his hands as far as I know. Search the for sale threads for photos and owners.

I'd have to agree with BlueB, to a point. There's something about the Northwave design that works for racers. But other boots also work to varying degrees. JJA won his gold in modified Deeluxe's if my memory serves me well.

Part of the problem in snowboard boot design is knowing what the design goals are. My suspicion is that the setup of front and rear boot needs to be different, with the rear boot set up for more fore/aft flexibility than the front one.

Any boot needs to lock down the foot, and particularly the heel, comfortably.

The design debates will be around lateral & fore/aft range of motion/flex, making sure the heel stays locked down when flexing forward, and where the pivot point for the ankle should be sited.

Finding a mouldable plastic that is stiffness stable in the working temperature range may also be a challenge.

There may well be online databases that shoe manufacturers use to work out the range of foot shapes and volumes.

Have fun, look widely, and think hard.

Edited by SunSurfer

http://store.sae.org/caesar/

Civilian American and European Surface Anthropometry Resource Project—CAESAR® CAESAR®l

The most comprehensive source for body measurement data

Just an example. This kind of stuff wasn't available when Northwaves were designed.

Edited by SunSurfer

Modular... must be modular construction.

I would love to have a spring system (or elastomer - less awesome) to allow for differential canting and resistance for lateral tip/tail direction. This would let me set a cant position with my boots and allow my tip/front foot to be stiffer and rear/tail looser as well as let me dial it in each day (super sloppy on epic pow and rigid on ice)

I am suprised that this hasnt been done and we leave it to plastic stiffness when the experience is so positive with the BTS

footbeds-(lower shell half) should be interchangeable with calfs-(upper shell half) for better fit

BTS style spring system or something comparable - this one looks neat

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11201&p=115206&hilit=szaman#p115206

ankle pivot should be adjustable in position for better fit - UPZ style works well

thinking out loud here, would still like your feedback though.

The NW boots are set back and tilted forward on the heel and toe. I think that needs to be incorporated into these boots.

I think 5 buckles will need to be used.

Feet are flat, why are boot's lowers so round and tall?

Working on a sorta-bts concept... BTS-like setup will be used on the calf, except the part separating the springs will be connected to a rod or bar, which will connect to the boot just above the heel notch. Connection at BTS spot will be adjustable, so you can lock in a more vertical or more forward angle, while still retaining the same flexibility as the current BTS.

I will try to come up with a couple different types of lowers and uppers.

What about two different pivot points, vertical of each other, and two different heights of uppers?

Keep the ideas coming please!

Wouldn't it be more efficient timewise to borrow time from a Faro 3D arm or similar stuff..?

This way you would have a perfect view as well as wall thicknesses of the shell etc.?

All we know is the aluminium molds have disappeared from the factory in 2003 and are probably now melted into a building or other stuff..I've spent countless hours calling italy in 2003 talking to almost everyone at the factory / offices: they had no clue where the molds were nor had any drawings available we could buy!

Nils

Will do Boris

neanderthol, I don't know how feasible a spring system would be. The position they would have to be in would make the boots Incredibly wide, and they would have to be VERY stiff to be small enough to work. (if) a spring snapped, that would could do some pretty catastrophic damage to an ankle.

However, There WILL be some sort of adjustable forward cant, in addition to something that delivers flex similar to BTS.

These will definitely be compatible with step ins.

nils, I'm not sure how much help something like that would be at this point, given what people want, this won't be taking very many measurements from an existing boot. Maybe i'll get lucky and be drinking soda out of a northwave mold this evening...

Drew, what you create from pics/ measurements will not be the NW boot, no matter how hard you tried.

You might just as well start from scratch and design your own product. You'll have way more fun and might create something better then over glorified NW...

I'd start by studying the anatomy of average human foot. Model the foot/lower leg, the liner, then model the shell.

Well, I think he should start with something, so why don't start with one of the best boots?

He won't be able to make a copy of .950, but if he keeps main ideas of them - this can be useful for sure. I've heard that the position of cuff pivot point make them special, they bend just right. Might be a foot plane too(UPZ have a higher heel for example - and different foot plete degree). Or buckle positions.

I guess there's not that much points that make them special, but you need to have this say 5 main points done perfect.

Also, I think these boots need to rely less on the boot material for flex and more on customizable system...

I agree a coil spring wouldnt work very well but how about a leaf spring or wave spring. You could encircle the lower shell with a ring/ribbon of steel. This would have a ripple or bump on either side and on this allow for attachment to the upper at the pivot point. Adjustment could be had by adding another ring or placement of an elastomer of varying density under the ring. If very creative this configuration would also permit controlled rotation of the 2 shell pieces.

my best to your efforts and I look forward to the success of YOUR project.

Also, I think these boots need to rely less on the boot material for flex and more on customizable system...
or maybe a gimbal ankle joint in the boot, with internal tensioners?

still think it could be a workable idea, more articulation options than single-plane cant adjusters.

I agree a coil spring wouldnt work very well but how about a leaf spring or wave spring. post-12238-141842405286_thumb.jpg

my best to your efforts and I look forward to the success of YOUR project.

not trying to hijack your thread

neanderthol at mac com

The enemy of good is better

post-12238-141842405282_thumb.jpg

please, keep up the good work! I didn't know those type of spring existed, They seem very promising. I don't think we could encircle an part of the boot, since it would be smaller once someone tightened the buckles. I do think the Linear Expander could be run down the back of the cuff, or possibly down the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Howz the progress?

found this today - http://beta.slashdot.org/story/197451

would be super rad to do carbon fiber boots (I know its been done http://www.dodgeskiboots.com/)

you could 3d scan a foot then print them to fit!

keep up the good work - I think the tech may catch up to your dream soon if you are able to model the Northwaves