Note to New Members ×

How to repair a Madd 158?

Corey

The carbon butterfly popped off the used Madd 158 in the first turn. It kind of felt like stepping on a crumbling wood bridge as I decambered it. *crackle* POP! I guess Madd's adhesive was never rated for -25C (-13F)! Damn.

I recall someone did a very exhaustive 'how to' post on their process or re-gluing the butterfly on a Madd, but I can't find it now. Can anyone help me find that? Or, make other recommendations?

I have a slight concern in that the butterfly clearly wasn't epoxied on but rather was glued or double-side-taped down as the exposed area is quite sticky. Not sticky enough to just re-adhere the butterfly through as I can pop if off while hand-flexing the board. Was part of the Madd characteristic due to some damping effect of this glue in shear? If I epoxy it down will I change the board's character?

Or is all of this futile and it'd be better to just hang it on a wall?

Thanks for any advice!

Haha, no! IF I were to tackle this, it would be a summer project.

The report back from SEJ (Scott) and Kendrick was that the Madd 170 in the thread above is still in use and as good as ever. If anything, he says it's better than before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An update to this thread: the tips of the X were pretty hard to lift once back at room temperature. By hard I mean that I was actually a little worried I'd kink/break the carbon while trying to pull it up. That double-sided tape is sticky! I wasn't sure how I was going to get the whole butterfly off before I tried to epoxy it in the summer.

Then I realized - it popped off in the cold, why not just leave it outside and see if bending it will do some of the work for me? As soon as I thought that, we had unseasonably warm weather... :( But last night it was -27C at 7 PM, and the overnight low was -36C! Perfect, at least for this.

I left it outside for a couple hours after supper, and brought it in to see if it was cold enough. Plant the tail on some carpet, grab the nose, and flex the board with my free hand. CRACK!! The whole freaking butterfly let go with such a loud noise that I feared I'd busted the board right in half!

That's crazy; this board served it's two previous owners well in California, but that tape just crumbled in cold weather. I can't be the first to subject a 2nd-gen 158 to cold weather, can I? Or maybe this one had bad tape but it was good enough for the temperate climate of California?

Once it was back to room temp, the tape residue was sticky again. Really sticky! I've never experienced anything so sticky! I resorted to covering both the board and the butterfly with toilet paper so they wouldn't bond to each other! (Or my arm hair)

It's a mix, some is stuck to each. Most is on the board.

That's the carrier layer, basically a way to place the glue somewhere in a tape form. All double-sided tapes have similar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-sided_tape It looks like it stuck well to the board and the wing, but not to its own carrier layer!

You might be in luck, mine was stuck to the wing. Probably a lot easier to get it off the deck.

Work a little solvent into it and see if you can get it to start coming off. (I used goof off) Then put it back outside. Might be able to pull it right off! With the membrane off it will be easy to get the adhesive residue off.

• 3 weeks later...

Original as in THE original (the 90s version) ???

Just buy one of my original 158's. Keep your repaired on as a spare. Clean the goof off residue with starter fluid or really pure alcohol. or both..starter fluid first and then alcohol to leave zero residue.

• 3 weeks later...