Note to New Members ×

SB 324's to 2014 700's

Randy Kight

Got to get off my rear end and replace my year 2000 SB324's. Liners are shot and oozing some sort of glue/gel.

Move put some 700's in the cart several times, but have bailed each time telling myself I'll get to it later.

I'm 220, ride mostly a Volkl Spline, and get about 10-15 at most days a year. No racer, but I like to mix hard carving with surfy carving out here on the EC. Angles are conservative...45 front, 35 on back.

Coming from stated boots, what can I expect as a noticeable difference in riding between the two? I'm hoping fit will not be drastic as 324's fit well.

Oh, I'm in Fin's TDSW's and love them.

Am I getting in over my head?

thanks to all...

Randy

New liners might depend on your size. They no longer make 1/2 size boots, and I think that affects the new liners. I put new red liners in an old orange set of 26.5 Indies. The new 26 liner is supposed to mold to 26.9, but I can't get enough toe space. I've had them professionally molded twice, with lots of toe box, but no go. Pull them out and they are a little shorter than the old ones. Not much, but apparently enough to mess with my fit. (Lost a toe nail last year)

So now I have a damn near new set of 325s in 26.5, and last years T700 in 27. Gonna get them both molded and see what works best.

Thanks to all. I know Michelle is getting tired of questions. I've thought about going with a new liner, but almost 15 years is good enough for me to move on. SEJ, tell me about your experience/feel with both. As I mentioned in my post, I don't want to get into something to stiff. When I lay into a turn, I do feel like I'm compressing my existing boot pretty well. Maybe the 700's won't be to stiff and give me better control.

If they turn out too stiff just get a spring system for 'em and you're golden. Not only that, there are so many other ways you can soften (and even stiffen) the flex of boots that I'd consider this a non-issue IF you don't mind modifying your boots.

The only minor aspect, and I'll repeat minor at least for me, is the asymmetrical shape, as kieran mentioned up above. Honestly the transition from symmetric to asymmetric didn't bother me but I know for 100% that my next boots are going to be symmetrical. It just feels.. better.

I went 324 to AF700 (although not "modern" AFs). Never looked back. For my feet, at least, the SB's are horrible in comparison. I did have to have the toes lightly punched; on the other hand I no longer have cold feet. I couldn't even think of putting on SB-series boots now. The AFs fit better, flex better, and are much stiffer.

• 1 month later...