Note to New Members ×

Plate Widths?

nekdut

I think I've seen these numbers in various threads but can't find definitive measurement information on actual vendor websites (including this one :) ). Can someone share the max widths for the Boiler Plate (and width differences between the versions), various Donek plates, as well as others? Vist, Apex? Coiler?

I'd like to use these on some of my narrower sticks and already ran into some "plate-out" issues at approximately <18cm.

nekdut,

The BP is 18.4cm wide at the pivots. I say this as it does taper down in the middle. So if you have a 18cm waist board it probably is at or over 18.4cm wide as you move away from the center. I did design it to work down to 18cm wide boards.

FYI: the UPM mount lower are 19cm wide though. But I have seen them on a 18cm waist board and it still worked fine (because of the side cut difference).

No idea why in this case? Will keep an eye on though. Posted this from my PC as well.

Oh, and I just used my super-duper accurate Mititoyo calipers and my plate is actually 18.399945cm. So pretty much WAY thinner than Sean's plate. Not that it is a big deal....

• 2 weeks later...

Custom plates are hard for us due to the hard tooling required to make them. I believe Bomber will be in the same situation. I know Bruce has made a few plate uppers with sidewalls, using Bomber's hardware. We're also happy to sell hardware for our two systems, if a builder is interested in using it.

Sean is correct, our tooling to make these is pretty set in stone. The hardware is what really dictates how wide the system is. You can cut the carbonfiber plate itself down (shorter or narrower in the waist) but the side bosses on ours makes it hard to narrow it down there. If you had a mill you could probably take 3-5mm off the side bosses but it would be close and not sure what it would do the forces on the mounting screws for those.

Don't forget, you can buy what we call the "DIY Kit":

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/DIY-Plate-Kit_p_202.html

and see if you can adapt to make work with your own custom plate top.

Edited by fin

• 4 weeks later...