Note to New Members ×

Hardboots on Splitboards

cail

Has anyone ridden hardboots on a splitboard? I see Bomber has splitboard bindings that attach to Voile plates... anyone have experience with other binding systems and hardboots, or using the Bomber splitboard bindings on other baseplates? Saw there is Dynafit adapters for Spark R&Ds bindings, for example...

I have set up and used several split board set ups with hardboots. Especially handy if you are going to do any ice climbing , crampons along the route. I even set them up with step-ins. Pretty handy!! I can't compare to Dynafit or Spark , other than I know the other bindings are probably much lighter. Split board sites will have allot more info.

Thanks for the info! That thread was very helpful, two_ravens. I'll be doing some searching on the splitboard sites as well to see what's going on. I liked the looks of the Spark R&D Tesla system, but it didn't look like the baseplates would work with the TD Sidewinder split bindings... at least not without modifications.

Do either of you ride your boards with AT boots? I wasn't sure how they'd feel on a board, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. Could just get the Dynafit adapters (http://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/dynafit/adapters/) for the Tesla baseplates in that case. Makes life simple...

Looks like a bunch of options over here: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=11

Edited by cail
Added info

I only rode my splitboard a few times at the ski area - didn't go out in the backcountry even once because of high high avalanche danger (and poor riding conditions) so my experience with them is quite limited, but yes I used AT boots and they worked just fine. The only confusing thing was getting used to how light weight they are! I am told that many AT boot users end up modifying them, and if i get into it more I will try to figure out a way to get them to flex forward just a bit more, while still giving side and rear support. Looks like cadmus uses AT boots, and I know of a few other hardboot snowboarders who also go the AT boot route. Good luck!

Cail,

I have been using hardboots on split for almost 10 years now and love it. However, I was using a old set of 322 Raichle boots most of that time. Last season I made the jump to a set of Dynafit Mountain 5 boots and fell in love again. As Raven mentioned, some of these all AT boots are so light it is spooky to walk and ride in them. It feels like you have nothing on your feet. But going up hill or scrambling a rock field is excellent in these things. I would suggest AT boots for split now.

And as mentioned here, our friends at Spark R&D have a great adapter for Dyna-fit tow pieces. Keep in mind you do not need these but some feel it helps on uphill. I just use our split binding for both up and down.

Thanks, Fin! That's very helpful. I'm still in research mode, since I haven't looked much into a setup in the past. I'm thinking I probably don't need to go with the Dynafit adapters to start. Might be an upgrade for the future.

From what I can tell, your bindings are made specifically for the Voile plates, correct? Have you ever played with making your own plate-type system for splits?

Correct, the Dynafit toe pieces are an extra and not needed to get started.

Yes, our split binding works with current Voile plates. Does add some weight but best we can do for now. Would like to work on own system eventually but that will be a major project that will deserve a lot of time.

Ernie, head's up on the original burton binding plates, they have had serious issues. I would swap them out for Voile. At minimum, set them up and try them out in bounds or short trip first.

I bought one of the first Burton Cascade 171cm, the very fancy plates are week and a pain. Just an FYI , I am sure plenty has been said about them on the split boarding sites. Burton stopped sending out their own bindings after just a couple seasons. I think they offered the Voile after that.

I've been riding Dynafit TLT4's almost exclusively for 4 years. A/T boots provide me the ability to climb steep stuff, both w/crampons and my modded snowshoes. They do ride a bit different than softer snowboard specific HB's but nothing that can't be adapted to. You can climb just fine w/Bomber's split binding, but the Dynafit toe pieces will feel substantially lighter when climbing. Board crampons are an absolute must if you are doing steeper stuff and want to split. Once it gets steep enough to do lots of switchbacks, I feel my Verts or boot crampons are faster and more energy efficient. Of course I also kinda suck at steeper skinning, but my A.O. has lots of steep climbs too.

Hey Bryan, thanks for the heads up. I am currently making a adapter plate in aluminium so I can take both toe and heel piece and from my TD2 and install them on my voile hardware. I'm up north in Quebec I will not be doing a lot of backcountry. I will mostly use the board in permanently closed down ski resort in the area.

I picked up Scarpa AT boots (the Spirit 3, I think) for splitboarding a few seasons back and used them on mellow backcountry stuff on Mt. Hood. I found they were great for climbing, but didn't have enough forward flex for me when descending. Led to a weird stance / riding style on descents that was very uncomfortable. Buell gave me pointers on modifying the flex, but I haven't been backcountry enough since then to take the time to do the mods. I went to snowboard hardboots for a few tours and actually prefer that for descents, though it's definitely more work.

If you have the snowboard hardboots, I would suggest giving that a try before laying out the coin to buy AT boots.