Note to New Members ×

Anybody ride with arm warmers?

ExcelsiorTheFathead

I saw a set of arm warmers in a store recently and am thinking about trying them. They seem to be designed for, and used mostly by cyclists and runners. I would wear them like an extra sleeve over my base layer, and under my insulating layers while riding. My arms never really feel that cold, but I would try these in hopes of making my hands warmer. My hands go numb pretty quick on cold days, and heat packs are a hassle.

I think you'll have better luck with your cold hands by keeping your core warmer.

Yeah, that's a point well taken. But on cold days I'm already wearing a UA ColdGear base layer, a fleece insulator, a quality down jacket, and shell. My hands have a liner glove, wrist guards, and those Thor Keprotec carving gloves. I don't think that anything is cutting off my circulation, but for whatever reason, I naturally have cold extremities. My blood is just too lazy.

Agreed. I simply can't wear gloves on cold days, my hands freeze in two runs. I have a set of mitts that look like boxing gloves, but they do the trick every time. Pick up a cheap set of mitts for what you'd spend on the arm warmers, and give them a shot. I suspect they'll work better.

So all roads lead to mittens eh? I should have figured as much. I sure wish those Thor guys would make mittens. Maybe I will buy these Burton Oven Mitts with the extra funds I have from my Burton warranty payout. I'm just afraid that I will destroy them in less than one season. I guess I should start researching the other threads that discuss spray-on rubber coatings to use on gloves.

I ride with Thor gloves and also wear WRISTBANDS to help keep my hands warmer. Thor gloves do not have a wrist cuff so the sweatbands help. The idea is the viens/arteries carrying warm blood in our wrists are not well insulated as they are close to the skin on the inside of our wrists. Unlike Thor gloves, some gloves have cuffs or wristbands incorporated. Try the wristbands around your house when it's cooler and notice the difference.

Edited by Pat Donnelly