Note to New Members ×

Blue Loctite on Bindings?

Tugboater

I run a set of TD1s and Intec (both step ins) on my rigs. After a few hours of use I notice a sqeak as my toe was moving slightly up and down against the bail. Besides not liking the squeak or the idea that my bindings are loosening (even slightly) I was wondering if you guys put Blue Loctite (non permanent) or some other thread locker on to prevent them from loosening? If so what do you use?

Thanks

Tug

First, I would not consider myself an expert on these matters. But, to answer your question: Yes, I use blue Loctite (comes in a small burgundy tube). I use it to mount Apex plate brackets on my Kesslers (which brackets I understand given the short screw depth can come loose). Knock on wood, but I have never had a problem with those screws coming loose since I started using the Loctite and, moreover, I have not had a problem taking the screws out when needed. Good luck.

Do the research, be conservative and understand what is really happening to loosen the bolts.

Here is the text of an old thread I posted. The link no longer works, but you can glean some good hints from it.

"Side-Sliding" Loose Bindings?

Short clip of a Loctite Rep offering A reason for bolts loosening.

The term used is "Side-Sliding". = "Vibration Loosening" Sorry about the volume. If you turn the volume all the way up you can hear him. Just remember to turn it back down. No loud noises that will blow your speakers in the clip if you do turn it way up. Hope this is useful? Stay Tight, stay safe!!

Coming? Active-Inactive Metals. And "Why your loctite is not working" or "Don't use RED Perm Loctite unless you never plan to remove it"

HINT: Primer, use it.

Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; September 22nd, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Watch the video here.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/vibloose.htm

Technical paper.

http://www.nordicsteel2009.se/pdf/106.pdf

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Loctite 243 cures on any bolted connection without the primer. Loctite 242 needs a primer (copper ions) on non-active metals (eg. stainless bolt in stainless nut). 222 is low-strength magic wicking stuff that's almost creepy in how well it sucks up into crevices.

Loctite 242 is a dying product kept alive only because:

1. Industry hasn't realized that 243 is 100% more awesomer than 242. Just watch the added lubricity for critical bolts. Torque values will need to be lowered with 243, test if it's a critical joint.

2. The military specs it because changing military specs is hard.

My workplace just went through a huge education campaign to replace Loctite 242 with 243. The numbers of drawings changed was staggering!

I view threadlocker as either a last resort or a guarantee against a risky failure. IF my screws were to loosen even once, I'd use it for sure. I never had that issue with TD1s, but maybe I was lucky.

Thanks for the links, I should note that it's not the bindings to the board but the front to back adjustment on the binding itself that's loosening.
i would absolutely use loctite blue on those screws, after checking to ensure the threads on both parts were intact and not worn/gone. Edited by kieran

If your toe is lifting you might not have the bindings adjusted right? Your heel might wiggle just a tiny bit but your toe should not lift. You can use Bomber butter on the screws to allow you to tighten them better and they will stay tight better and wont snap and creak when you tighten them and loosen them. I always check screw tightness before everyday of riding. It only takes a few seconds to take your wrench and check all of the screws.

If your toe is lifting you might not have the bindings adjusted right? Your heel might wiggle just a tiny bit but your toe should not lift. You can use Bomber butter on the screws to allow you to tighten them better and they will stay tight better and wont snap and creak when you tighten them and loosen them. I always check screw tightness before everyday of riding. It only takes a few seconds to take your wrench and check all of the screws.

I check my bindings a couple of times a day when riding. The issue here as far as I can tell is that with use the toe adjusting bolt is loosening just enough so that rather than locking in, the toe of my boot is lifting a few mm and rubbing. This causes a squeak and it's how I can tell it's time to retighten.

Thanks for the advice on Bomber Butter. I've never heard of it but I'll check it out.