Note to New Members ×

Appreciation of an ancient video with hard booters powder riding

LeeW

Things I learned from this video:

1) people didn't feel pain in the 90's

2) people didn't get cold ears in the 90's

3) the current generation of snow-wear pales in comparison to anything in the 90's

You still occasionally see the Craig-Kelly style knee stance here and there, although I never learnt it. The arm waving looks about half-way between the 1980s and today's "quiet" stance.

In 2013 pants are apparently going skinny again - I have heard kids chatter about narrower stances too. Wait a while, it'll come around again.

<sigh> I wish hardboots were better for snowboarding all over the mountain in <sigh> :smashfrea

Dave

With the right board and right stance it's a lot better than it used to be. I don't even own softies anymore. My Coiler 161 SL with 21cm waist does it all. Powder, trees, ice, whatever.

</sigh></sigh>

THANK YOU for posting that! I have not seen this video in many years! I remember the section with Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva the most. However, I did not realize that dude was Shannon Melhuse... I've been craving for his MLY race signature board for a very long time. That's a COOL section... I did not noticed it was hardboots but more likely I didn't care because hardboots -WAS- the norm back then. Nowadays, it's as rare as dodo if it's not entirely gone.

THank you so much! The tunes brought me back to my yesteryear youth... I remember wanting to try hardboots for so long becaues Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva made it look so cool... but during early 90s, I was too much into jibbing with my first Burton Air (the first in the series) and then K2 FAT BOB (the very first one, too) and wide stance (baseless bindings? omg, wtf was I thinking?!).

I see that and I will raise you Shannon Melhuse riding hardboots in powder trees with Craig Kelly in '91:

That's the whole movie, there is a significant amount of freecarving and racing in it if you scroll around.