Note to New Members ×

PCMR and Canyons 13-14

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Please post anything... Why the heck not? I'd like to be slope-side playboy, but I don't think I have enough of the necessary prerequisites. I'd settle for just being able to ride with some of the girl carvers that are rumored to be around these parts. As for BB, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but even some sales guys at the local board shops mention him first when they find out that I'm a hardbooter. He's an enigma wrapped in a kite.

Hey John, I've seen more than a few NJ license plates around here. It seems like a long drive, but some of your neighbors are doin' it...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Hey John, I've seen more than a few NJ license plates around here. It seems like a long drive, but some of your neighbors are doin' it... " :eek:

Yea, and I'm on the 'west coast' of NJ so it should be a piece of cake, would be a heck of a day trip though :D ...

Found a few.

Some are "proofs" from the on hill photographer, those photos are off Kong.

Others include Judy and Adam.

I have ALLOT so I will try to be conservative and not over run Art's sweet thread.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Please post anything... Why the heck not? I'd like to be slope-side playboy, but I don't think I have enough of the necessary prerequisites. I'd settle for just being able to ride with some of the girl carvers that are rumored to be around these parts. As for BB, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but even some sales guys at the local board shops mention him first when they find out that I'm a hardbooter. He's an enigma wrapped in a kite.

Hey John, I've seen more than a few NJ license plates around here. It seems like a long drive, but some of your neighbors are doin' it...

I was lucky enough to meet Judy and we spent a few hours riding around and challenged some of the steeps. Those were good times. In one of the photos Adam is standing with one of the PC race crews up and comers , afraid I don't remember his name. I believe he was one of BB's prodigies.

I was lucky enough to meet Judy and we spent a few hours riding around and challenged some of the steeps. Those were good times. In one of the photos Adam is standing with one of the PC race crews up and comers , afraid I don't remember his name. I believe he was one of BB's prodigies.

Question. To other BOL viewers, can you see the photos in posts number 78 and 79?? We are having some software / editing issues and I can see them but others can not. Appreciate the help. Bryan

The "Back" story is. Since the v-bulletin software update, often when I post, it posts the same message twice (Double Posting about 85% of the time) , while work is being done to sort that out. I am basically posting and then deleting one of the posts. If I delete a post that involves an attachment I have to be careful how I do that. So there you have it.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Sunday, 12/29: Yet another sunny day, starting out cold. As I drive in to the lower parking lot, I can tell immediately from the amount of cars headed in that this is going to be a busy day. Why aren't you people in church? This is Utah, after all. Where do you think this is, Colorado? I get two laps down First Time since it opens at 8:45. At 9:00 I try going up the Eagle chair which is the fastest way up the King Con ridge to Temptation. The Temptation run is one of the "Groomer's Choice" runs this morning so I figure I'll go see if they are making any sense today. It was super firm, very fast, and grippy enough, with no thaw-freeze skitchiness. Up the King Con lift and down the King Con run. The gentler top section was great, but the steep lower hill was way too fast for me. My body might have been able to carve it, but my brain was having none of it.

Up Silverlode followed by a couple of laps down Bonanza. Muckers is also very firm and fast, but I can make it work there. The lift line at Bonanza is growing quickly, and the maze herders are out in force, corralling people into nice rows. Mooooo.

By 9:50 it is clear that there are too many people up here. There's no way I'm going down Claim Jumper to get stuck in the Silverlode lift line, so I head down Home Run and Drift to play on Blanche. The singles line on Payday is moving fast, so the wait here isn't bad. I get three laps down Blanche before heading out. In the parking lot I don't even have the trunk of my car open yet when a guy pulls up and asks "Dude, are you leaving?" To help handle all of the cars, PCMR is running an overflow lot at the high school with a free shuttle.

I drive down the highway towards Kimball Junction to eat some pancakes as cars stream uphill to the area's three resorts. The Olympic Park is down here, and the winding access road is completely lined with cars, as today is the Women's Olympic trials for the Ski Jump team. Sochi will be the first time that Women's Ski Jumping has been allowed as an Olympic event, and the US women are top ranked.

Business is booming. Money is flowing. Restaurants are packed, rental shops are busy, the grocery stores full of people stocking their condos.

The pipe at the base is looking good. To the right is the Eagle chair. Lots of snowmaking on C.B.'s run.

samase5a.jpg

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Monday, 12/30: Can Monday be more crowded than Sunday? Yes it can, and thank you for asking. I guess people did go to church yesterday. Sunny and cold, 10F at the Bonanza load but warming quickly. SLC and PC schools are off all this week, so there will be no respite. I've taken to undoing as much of my gear as possible before even stepping into the parking lot. I got just a few steps off the snow when windows roll down to "Are you leaving, man? Where's your car at?" Annoying. There are long lines at the ticket windows to pay full fare. Maybe I should drive to Wendover and park my butt at a video poker machine.

Pictures are working now Bryan, thank you. Judy is still here. Fred introduced me to her on the hill a couple of weeks ago, but she was on skis at the time. If I'm fortunate, I'll be able to ride with her one of these days.

Wednesday, 1/1/14: 1" of new fell yesterday afternoon, but it made little difference. It has been some time since we've had real snow, so everything is firm and some places are getting a little polished and hard. Good riding this morning, just pumping the easy stuff. Mostly sunny, 20F at the base, 15 at Bonanza load. Muckers is flat as a pancake and excellent. Just busy weekend levels of crowded today, not over-the-top nuts.

For the first time in my life, I have no idea if I have health insurance. I hope I do, but there is no way to find out. All I have are promises. It's going to be weird if I get pummeled on the hill.

Why hasn't Shred spammed this thread yet? HEY SHRED!

12/27 Photos: Brandon on Jonesy's, Max on Claim Jumper

post-8519-141842403871_thumb.jpg

post-8519-141842403869_thumb.jpg

Friday, 1/3: A good morning with Garry who was on skis. Still too warm, Bonanza load was 30F not long after open with overcast skies. We need more snow. A little is in the forecast, but only a little. I couldn't carve Silver Queen cuz it didn't feel right. It's like the run was covered with 18" of snow then put into a vacuum press. Just not flat and smooth enough, but also too fast. Muckers is still excellent. We did a few photo whore runs down Jonsey's. I haven't been to the King Con area in days, but will check it out next week.

All of the PCMR lifts are running now. The resort is reporting a base depth of 33". The Thaynes Snotel says 27". The low-angle cruisers are still groomy, but steeper stuff is really packed down and the base isn't deep enough to hide terrain variations. In some places there are obvious thin spots. Not bad, but not great. At least the days are getting longer and the morning lighting will be better.

Saturday, 1/4: PCMR reports 3" of new overnight. Sunny, cold and windy. 6F at the Bonanza load. Today I'm out testing my new Coda swallowtail skwal on the new snow. I bought this thing in hopes of it being a something of an AT skwal that could be ridden in new snow without sinking and stuffing. On the runs that were groomed last night, there is anywhere from 3-6" of new, maybe more in places. The Coda is working fairly well. The tail is sinking down to the cord while the nose is staying close to the surface. I can't tell yet if it is a great carver, but it does do quick, short slalom turns nicely. Just a few cold runs down Muckers, Jonsey's, and Parley's Park before leaving at 10:30. The parking lot is full.

I found this photo on Jonsey's from Thursday. No idea who it is, but it looks like a girl on a Donek (!).

post-8519-141842404459_thumb.jpg

Sunday 1/5: Another 1" of new, but I don't know when it fell. It's really cold, but sunny. 6F at the First Time load near the base, zero at the Bonanza load. A little gentle breeze in the sheltered areas, but up on top you can really feel it with wind chills that must be below zero. The parking lot has a bunch of early arrivals because of an NCAA ski competition on C.B.'s run. Snowmaking is making big piles on Picabo's. I'm still riding the Coda skwal to see how it does on good groom. The 9-9.5m sidecut definitely likes slower speeds and harder turns. I might have to lower my angles to less than 85 in order to get enough edge pressure on heelside stops. The grooming on steeper pitches was kinda uneven because of yesterday's new snow. Tomorrow should be better, and warmer.

Monday, 1/6: Still cold, 4F at both First Time and Bonanza loads, but sunny and warming up with another inversion building. A couple of runs down Muckers, then I dove into the Summit House to warm up, appreciate the myriad beautiful views, and kill some time waiting for the sun to rise over the King Con side of the hill. From the Bonanza chair I could see that Assessment was roped off and closed. But why? It turns out that it got so thin that they decided to fire up some guns to make it decent again.

I went down Claim Jumper just after 10:00 and looked up King Con. It was just getting some sun. Going up the King Con lift one could see that Shamus was closed for racing, but Sitka was open and looked decent. I made one run down it, and it was fairly steep. It could be groomed flatter, but it wasn't bad. After that I looped back up and went down King Con, which was similar. The tight-turning Coda is better for me on these steep runs. I really suck when it gets steep.

Sweet, sweet post-holiday riding. It's a little busy, but one can easily wait a minute to get a clear run.

Looking down Sitka just as the sun starts to light it up around 10:30. This shot is overexposed. The King Con chair crosses overhead, and the Broadway collector trail is at the bottom.

ga2eda4e.jpg

Tuesday 1/7: Overcast and inverted. 20F at the base, close to 30 on top but the humidity is making it feel cold. After 3 days of riding the short radius Coda, I'm back out on Mr. Flaccid the 12-14m, 179cm soft skwal. On my first warm-up run down First Time, I get up to a nominal speed at which I could start popping the Coda into quick slalom turns on previous days. Then I lean in to make a turn and Mr. Flaccid looks up at me as if to say: "What? You expect something to happen here?" Mr. Flaccid needs way more speed to do anything.

Once at the Summit, I decided that there was no lighting advantage to staying on the Bonanza runs so I went down Mel's and Broadway to the King Con lift. Mel's is thin. Just like Assessment, some of these Silverlode runs were scraped off during the heavy holiday traffic. From the King Con lift I can see that both Sitka and Shamus are being bombed by racers using them as warm-up runs for the ongoing competitions that are being held on C.B.'s Run. I went down King Con, but I'm screwing up every other turn for a number of reasons, mostly because I suck. When it gets steep my self-preservation instinct is to turn as hard as possible to bleed speed, and I think that I might be bending Mr. Flaccid into a very non-optimal weird shape. Blame Mr. Flaccid.

Back up on top I made a run down Muckers which was perfect again. I actually look good on that run. Then a run down Blanche where I saw another hardbooter going up the Payday lift. Who was that? Next a run down Payday. I've decided that Payday has three distinct pitches: The first, under the Town Lift, has a weird double fall line that makes it crappy for carving. The second pitch is pretty easy and straight with a long runout. The third pitch starts a little steeper and narrow, then runs out into the wide expanse under the Payday lift. Nice.

I drove out before 10:30. I'm tired every day. I'm astonished by how quickly I wear out.

Yesterday on the Coda

post-8519-14184240458_thumb.jpg