Note to New Members ×

PCMR and Canyons 13-14

ExcelsiorTheFathead

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I went up to PCMR today and picked up my shiny new "50th Anniversary" season pass, so now I'm straight-to-the-lift ready to go.

Meanwhile, the pee-fest between PCMR and Talisker/Vail continues.

Near as I can figure, the following things are true:

1. PCMR totally screwed themselves over by not renewing their leases to Talisker land on time. It seems inexcusable that something so crucial can be botched, but I'm sure that we have all seen similar mistakes made in a variety of settings.

2. PCMR backdated an important document related to the lease renewals.

3. Talisker is playing this mistake for all it is worth. Legally, they very well may be 100% in the right.

4. Whatever happens in the end, millions of Dollars on both sides that could have gone towards maintenance and upgrades will instead go to the lawyers.

Solitude will open a week early, on Friday Nov 8.

Scheduled 2013-14 openings for Utah ski resorts

Alta Ski Area » Nov. 22

Beaver Mountain » TBA (mid-December)

Brian Head » Nov. 15

Brighton Resort » TBA

Canyons Resort » Nov. 29

Deer Valley Resort » Dec. 7

Eagle Point » Dec. 30

Park City Mountain Resort » Nov. 23

Powder Mountain » Nov. 27

Snowbasin » Nov. 28

Snowbird » Nov. 20

Solitude Mountain Resort » Nov. 8

Sundance Resort » Dec. 6

Wolf Mountain » Dec. 5

Source: Ski Utah

Here's some news about the season in Utah. Too bad someone edited in a clip of Nate Dogg getting first chair at A-Basin.

<iframe src="http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=3x2&auto_start=0&pf_id=9207&rel=3&show_title=0&va_id=4655217&volume=8&windows=1" frameborder="0" height="330" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>

It has been obnoxiously warm for the past few days, with some overnight lows too warm to make snow. It will get cold again tomorrow.

And here's a story from last spring about a handicapped guy who tried to ride a Teleboard at Deer Valley:

<iframe src="http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=3x2&auto_start=0&pf_id=9207&rel=3&show_title=0&va_id=4002523&volume=8&windows=1" frameborder="0" height="330" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>

Here's a news article on Canyon's upcoming opening and the changes that Vail has made. I wonder how much the visits to Canyons will increase this season by Epic Pass visitors from Colorado and Tahoe? It will be good for the hospitality businesses in Park City, but might make Canyons more crowded. I'm betting that this new competition will drive season pass prices down for next season at some of the other local resorts.

Here's a link to the Snotel sites in Utah. There's one at Brighton, Snowbird, and the Thaynes Canyon site is fairly high up at PCMR. Click on the link for the hourly snow depth report and you can get a view of new snowfall independent of what the resorts are saying. PCMR still says that they will open on Saturday, but the view at the base looks pretty thin.

PCMR opening day. I drove in at 8 AM to make sure that I got a good parking spot, and to ensure that I could get some of the free donuts and hot cocoa. It will become a mostly sunny day, but it is really cold, maybe 12F.

Many things are new today. New resort that I've never ridden at. New jacket. New pants. New Fin-tecs. New F2 Ti bindings. This is my first day on Intec after getting rid of my Snowpro F.A.S.T. heels and bindings. I'm riding my 4WD 159 instead of Mr. Flaccid the skwal because I don't know what to expect from the terrain.

There's a group of people who are first in line at the Payday lift. They have been camped out there since 6AM Friday morning just to get the 50th Anniversary First Chair T-shirts. Only 3 chairs are running: Payday, which services "real" terrain; First Time the bunny lift; and Three Kings which services the terrain park.

After the lifts start up I head down Home Run to First Time. I figure that I will just do some loops down here at the bottom of Home Run until I get my mind right. I found that I could make decent turns after a couple of runs and found myself sharing a chair with a Korean college guy riding an SG. The place is getting progressively more crowded, and the lift line for the park is a mess of kids. Lower Home Run is getting congested with people speeding down from the Payday lift. I ended up making around six loops on First Time before I decided to leave after 10AM, never having gone up Payday myself. Every chair going up Payday is full, and there is only one run open. I really don't like riding with crowds unless there is no other choice.

Sunday should see a bunch of people going to church in the morning, so I'll be interested to see if it is less crowded. I'm probably going to bring the skwal out. I find that I really dislike riding low 50/45 angles on my 4WD, and it takes too much effort to get it on edge.

As I was walking out to my car, I was faced with a huge moose behemoth who had nothing better to do than saunter right down the main road. What a doofus. Moose should get with the program and obey traffic laws.

Setting up to interview the first chair people.

post-8519-141842400285_thumb.jpg

Looking over at the Payday lift from the top of First Time.

post-8519-141842400288_thumb.jpg

Looking up Home Run from near the Crescent load.

post-8519-141842400272_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you got some runs in Art. The snow will get better and more runs will open up soon, the crowds well they'll get crowdy-er. PC is a great mountain to ride at. If you get a chance this season come on over to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain, they are pretty fun places to ride at also.

Edited by boardguru