Note to New Members ×

PCMR and Canyons 13-14

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Sunday, 4/20: Closing day. It didn't freeze overnight, but it was cold enough to make the bad grooming really stiff. There was a mountain-wide Easter egg hunt going on, including two golden eggs with season's passes in them. Lots of adults and kids are sweeping the runs from side to side, so early carving is out of the question. After it starts to warm up and soften there is some good riding. I'm riding the Coda today because it is much better in mush, slush, and crowds. Many people are wearing costumes of every kind. In the afternoon there's a big increase in bikini tops, and a couple of bottoms too. I went to the Sunday mountain top service to hear some Good News, then visited one of several illicit parties in the trees. I came off the snow (slush) around 2:30. At the base area there are three bands playing at different venues. A nice wrap-up to a fine season. According to the PCMR RFID gate count, I got 119 days. It seems a little low? I dunno.

Many thanks to the new Park City friends I have met here. Kind people make everything better.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 10 AM and I'm not riding. I'm eating chips and drinking coffee. I wonder how much weight I will gain over the summer? I feel fat already. I'll be here in and around PC for another month, then I'm driving the Alcan to spend some time in AK. PC carver Fred is flying up from Florida for part of the drive. After that, the rest of the summer might be spent around the PNW. Next winter will be at Sun Valley, unless I change my mind.

• 1 month later...

Things have gone remarkably well so far. The weather has been all over the place. I drove from the Seattle area to Dawson Creek, then Fort Nelson, Lake Watson, then Skagway. I took the Ferry down to Juneau for a couple of days and met up with SmoothDougall from SLC. Fred flew in to Ketchikan and got on a ferry. In Juneau I got on his boat and we went to Skagway, got in my car then drove to Whitehorse. The next day we drove to Glennallen via Tok, then down to Whittier. We did a drive to Homer, then back up and around to Seward, followed by a couple of days at the Denali NP. Fred flew out from ANC yesterday and I'm crashing at the home of a college friend. In a few days I'll be heading for Fairbanks and decide there if I will try the drive to Deadhorse. After that I will go to Dawson City and wind my way back down British Columbia somehow, probably on the Cassiar. The most expensive gas so far was at Fort Nelson, where it cost around $5.05/gal when converted.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well,it looks like the behemoth that is Vail Resorts has eaten yet another resort. Vail purchased PC from Powder Corp for 182 mill in cash a couple of days ago.It also appears that my hypocrisy knows no bounds, as the Epic passes we bought to be able to visit friends we still have in Vail and Summit county will now be valid at PC;even though I was rooting for ParkCity (Powder Corp) resort to win this battle. Say good bye to the only Nastar course in Utah and hello to 8.00 a slice pizza.I am excited to be able to ride the excellent carving terrain at PC on the Epic pass, but I also wonder if another of the several reasons I was heading toward a limited pass at Park City ,the halfpipe,will be eliminated.