Note to New Members ×

Things to do/see in Elkhorn, WI?

Corey

I'm going to be in Elkhorn WI for a couple of days next week with work. If all goes well, I should have Thursday afternoon to myself. Most of my trips to other cities have me busy from 8 AM to 6 PM, so many museums and touristy things are closed once I'm done working, this is a rare opportunity! What should I go see? My Google searches have come up mostly dry... I'm an engineering/machines/industrial design geek. Fine art doesn't get me going, unless it's CNC'ed aluminum or Titanal art. ;)

The Harley Davidson 'steel toes' tour in Milwaukee sounds interesting, but I likely can't make it there in time from Elkhorn. :(

hey corey,mike from mich.get near the lake,you look across,i'm on the other side.we call them cone suckers,they grab a ice cream cone and check out the water front.around petoskey and mackinaw,they are looking for your green backs,probally the same way in wisconsin! they rent bikes and paddle boards.over here in mich.they put more $into the bike trails then the roads.go look up a beach,take a swim.THE WATER IS UNSALTED AND SHARK FREE! OH YAH MAYBE A COUPLE BARS AROUND<if you had a really hard day.SEE YA SOON,HEY mike.:confused:

Pretty much nothing to do in Elkhorn. I you have a car, drive the 10 or 12 miles southeast to Lake Geneva and walk around.

Another option is drive the 10 miles northeast and checkout the [sarcasm] mega-resort [/sarcasm] known as Alpine Valley. It's literally a bump in the middle of nowhere. They do have an outdoor amphitheater, so you could see if anyone is playing. This were the location where, sadly, Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a helicopter crash.

Bah, it wasn't bad. I had a nice drive up a little-travelled but very scenic and winding county road to Al's place (WI County Road Zz through Kettle Moraine State Forest, I recommend it if you're a driver/rider), a tour of his lake, and a quick rip up to 55mph to confirm proper adrenaline flow. I've never gone that fast in a boat before! Going back to the hotel was interesting; that same winding road got a lot more intense with heavy fog and deer randomly frolicking on the road.

Thanks again for entertaining me, Al! I got home at 1 AM Saturday morning after numerous plane delays, then off to the race track for 8 AM that same morning.

Is a bit of a lame town

There is some good longboarding to be done in Lake Geneva and some areas of Kettle Moraine if you have a skate.

Drive up to La Grange and visit the general store there. they rent mtn bikes and have some xc trails.

Go into Milwaukee to see the Harley Davidson Museum.

We have a snowboard factory about an hour and 15 up the road, but we are in the middle of moving so there is nothing to see at the moment. :/

If you come this way again come check us out.

www.prospectsnowboards.com

Bah, it wasn't bad. I had a nice drive up a little-travelled but very scenic and

Thanks again for entertaining me, Al! I got home at 1 AM Saturday morning after numerous plane delays, then off to the race track for 8 AM that same morning.

You're welcome Corey! Pleasure to have you here even if a few hours. Next time plan on some skiing, footin, spectating and recuperating. I'm glad it was only deer in your way and not the Beast of Bray Road (Elkhorn's very own werewolf / phaseshifter) Sorry getting out of MKE was such a hassle, Fridays can be like that these days with our downsized hub and overbooked flights, one hickup and it's a " bloody mess"

Anyway just 27 days left of Summer, sooo looking forward to snow!

Cheers Mate!

Wisco indeed.

We are moving into an upgraded space, just picking between a few locations.

Just finished a print operation this spring so we do everything in house from graphics, to cores, pressing, finishing, and of course we ride too.

Learned the trade from a bigger outfit in Utah.

Been visiting bomber a bit more because we designed up a BX board this year with one of the Tyrol coaches.

Gonna get my race boots on this year.

Wisco indeed.

We are moving into an upgraded space, just picking between a few locations.

Just finished a print operation this spring so we do everything in house from graphics, to cores, pressing, finishing, and of course we ride too.

Learned the trade from a bigger outfit in Utah.

Been visiting bomber a bit more because we designed up a BX board this year with one of the Tyrol coaches.

Gonna get my race boots on this year.

Saw your STG1 board. (http://prospectsnowboards.com/snowboards/stg1-boardercross/). Very cool seeing another North American manufacturer producing a dedicated carve/race board. I'm guessing you have also posted info about it on the BomberBX.com site? That's the sister version of this site dedicated to BX racing and softboot carving.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?39945-Introducing-BomberBX-com!

While I'm not looking for a new AM board this season you've listed the STG1 as alpine freeride so it might be a good option for me in a 168cm in the future. Do you have any more info on the specs? In particular sidecut radius (I see you are radial), and waist width?

I'm one of those freaks who rides hardboots for carving and freeriding so waist width is important along with the SCR being somewhat slalomy to get through tighter areas.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, the STG1 is new for this year. It stands for "Shred the Gnar 1" with 1 being the first generation. As we progress and test we'll come out with different generations. We basically developed it for racing programs to have race specific boards be a little more accessible. So we came up with a cheaper board so kids, guys, and gals could get into racing without having to drop $750+ on a board alone. When we start beating the racers on the expensive boards I'll be stoked!

Looks like I forgot to post the specs, thanks for noticing.

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: center]BX[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Length (cm)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]156[/TD]

[TD=align: right]168[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tip Width (cm)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]26[/TD]

[TD=align: right]28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tail Width (cm)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]24[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Waist Width[/TD]

[TD=align: right]20.5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]22.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tip Length[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tail Length[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sidecut Radius[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11500[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Eff Edge[/TD]

[TD=align: right]144[/TD]

[TD=align: right]150[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

We'll be adding a 162 as well.

I haven't posted on BomberBX yet. 2 reasons. 1. We haven't pushed a hard launch yet. 2. If our riders find out about our boards without us pushing the publicity the introduction much friendlier if it comes from a fellow racer. Wink, Wink.... :)

If you find yourself close to Madison be sure to come see the operation.

[ATTACH]35205[/ATTACH]

Interesting looking. I'll keep that in mind when I look at replacing my 171cm Incline in a few years.

Waist seems really narrow for softboots? But definitely about the right range for an all-mountain hardboot deck. I think you might have the SCR's reversed for the 156 and 168 though.

I'd post it on Bomber BX for you but I'm purely a hardboot carver/freerider. And having never been downslope of a starting gate I wouldn't be providing you with much street cred.

Cheers,

Dave