Note to New Members ×

The Pump Thread

BTW Pokkis. The rear Don't Trip truck is a 20 degree truck. I see you've de-wedged it further. Was wonder how much you de-wedged it? I'm interested because I think I might be around 20 degrees with my Tracker RTS (15 degrees de-wedge) and was thinking with the Don't Trip Truck it would be easy to get even lower.

Dave

Dewedge on rear is to compensate raise of tail in board. It does not put it totally flat so real dewedge effect to truck is bout 3 degrees.

With flat base/tail on board you can run it without wedge. Anyway i like very dead tail :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put in 74k on the Grennett in four days of riding over five days last week. I love the truck. The feel of the truck is ridiculously smooth and snappy and it seemed to have added about 1.5 km/h to my average speed compared to my home polished Cinnett. As I mentioned above the feel of the ball pivot is amazing compared to the standard pivot point.

However I sent it back to Thane yesterday as the retaining pins for the ball pivot just weren't staying in. I tried several solutions including red loctite, JB Weld and drifting some aluminum over the hole. The pins still came out. Thane has indicated this doesn't normally happen and he will fix it. I'm looking forward to getting this truck back on my board in the future.

Dave

EDIT: (2 days later) - This was the first time I've had to really ride my board since removing the Grennett on Saturday. I used my original Cinnett (15 degree baseplate) at the same effective wedge angle with the same bushings as I had on the Grennett and I'm much SLOWER! :( I was 47:40 this morning on the 9.5km ride into work this morning (~7min slower than with the Grennett). From a qualitative perspective I felt it required much more effort just to maintain the speed I did this morning. The ball pivot definitely gives the truck a smoother surfier feel; when I was leaning with the Grennett the counter-pressure didn't seem to ramp up the way it does with the Cinnett. And all the machined surfaces on the Grennett seem to have made a huge difference in lowering the overall resistance of the system.

Looking forward to getting this back on my board.

Edited by Puddy Tat

There is an interesting thread going on right now on Paved Wave about the Tracker RT-S 129mm vs the Randal II 125mm for the rear truck on a pumping set-up (Tracker RTS or Randal 125mm as Rear Truck?) (Its a small group like us so right now is actually the last couple of months.)

Having just gotten into pumping last summer I've always had a Tracker RT-S on the rear. (Though this appears to be the summer where I try out different trucks). I was wondering if anyone here had tried the Randall II as a rear truck and what your impressions were?

Dave

Seismic all the way :) I ditched the RT/S in favor of a 30* seismic. I use much stiffer springs than advised.

Triton came in Friday. Tried it once but not on my regular setup. Some tweaking to do but so far it isn't a step back over my mermaid. I have to perform some surgery...drilling more holes :)

I use a RTS 106 rear Nd a modified bennet as most. If I could find a seismic that didn't have to come from Great Britain... Sorry to hear about the grennet not holding up. I'm truly tired of blowing out front trucks but my RTS rear has been rock solid especially with the new inverted kingpin. I run stock bushings and a hard pivot cup and it has never let me down. 1 RTS to 3 Bennett fronts...

My RTS delrin pivot cup is a little small for the hole in the base plate so I get a slightly less than a perfect ride out of my Tracker. I think I'm going to try the Don't Trip Poppys and maybe a Randal II for rear trucks this summer. I'd like to try a Seismic, but beyond availabilty issues I also hear they have a tendency to come apart? Any comment on that Crote?

Slopestar, have you tried a Riptide APS Chubby boardside and an APS Cone roadside in the RT-S? It has a nice feel. I'm running 85a road and boardside, but guys lighter than me are running 90a. That being said lighter guys around here who try my board are lifting the outside wheel with my 85a's (which might be slightly over compressed, I should really go to a longer kingpin).

Dave

Well I received the Don't Trip Poppys last night and immediately installed them on my Triton. Sweet Timing. :D

I'm going to write my initial impressions and look add adding some pictures to this later. I'll also write a ride review in about a week because I'd like to give them a week or so of riding to get used to them as they feel very different than my Bennett/Tracker set-up and I'd like to get used to their feel.

Straight out of the box these are sweet looking RKP trucks! The CNC'd aluminum gives them a very nice look, and beyond just looking pretty they look solid.

The front truck is on a 55 degree baseplate with a Riptide 75a WFB cone roadside and a 75a WFB barrel boardside. There is a small washer on the cone, I tried using double barrels on this on my first ride but I'm not sold on it as I think it may limit the turn radius of the front truck. I'll be going back to a cone for tomorrow. I'm using 80a APS bushings board and roadside on this truck.

The rear truck is on a 20 degree baseplate with Riptide 90a barrels roadside and boardside. I left these as they were and just bolted the truck to the board.

Both trucks have spherical bearings installed in their hangers between the bushings.

Both baseplates are longer than the TKP baseplates on my Bennett and Tracker trucks, which left these baseplates being about a 1/2" longer than the 1/2" solid riser and 1/8" shockpad I ended up using under each truck. I should probably find some appropriately long risers for these. Additionally it was nice that because of the built-in LDP specific baseplate angles I was able to remove all the wedging from my board, this lowered my ride height at least 6mm (1/4") from my Bennett/Tracker set-up. This was an incredible drop. It's much easier to push the Triton uphill now.

Both trucks come with three 3mm spacers on each axle allowing varying spacing of the wheels. Up front I used all spacers on the outside of the wheels (75 mm BigZigs), on the rear truck I placed one spacer on the inside of the wheels (76mm 3dm Avilas). I may shift that spacer to the outside to narrow the rear wheelbase by 6mm.

I'll add some pictures later and give a ride review on Sunday once I've had a chance to give them a good test ride.

Dave

Pictures Added 19 July, 2013 - I've added a board set-up and a couple of shots with a wheel removed to see how the poppys mount from the side and the pivot angles.

Board with Poppys mounted.

post-7081-141842394356_thumb.jpg

Front Poppy. (Wheel removed to show angle and baseplate overhang)

post-7081-141842394362_thumb.jpg

Rear Poppy. (Wheel removed to show angle and Baseplate overhang)

post-7081-141842394365_thumb.jpg

I've put about 25k on these trucks in three rides. I'm going to be putting another ~56k in the next two days and I'll let you know my feelings then.

Edited by Puddy Tat

Review of the Poppys will have to wait until a little later this week. I hit a rock and took a fall on Saturday which, along with a bunch of road rash, broke my middle finger on my right hand. Apparently when my fingers hyperextended the tendon pulled the bone it is attached to off the main finger bone at the first knuckle. While flexing is ok; I've been told not to extend it so I'm going to be out for a bunch of weeks while it heals.

Once again, glad I was wearing a helmet. In hindsight I think if I was wearing slide gloves rather than cycling gloves, I wouldn't have this injury as the glove possibly would've slide on the asphalt rather than sticking where it hit.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Fast and fun. Wide and curvy sidewalks. Just watch out for the cracks..

Yup. Lots of cracks. I drove around town looking for a continuously paved section of trail somewhere but haven't found one yet. Everything seems to be separately poured concrete slabs with chunka-chunka joints. I pumped around a couple of flat residential neighborhoods with good street pavement.

Today I had a meeting in Los Angeles so I drove the two hours to the big city. After my meeting in Manhattan Beach, I drove to Venice and pumped almost all the way to Santa Monica and back. The beach was full of people, and pumping the pedestrian walkway in front of the shops was pretty cool, like going down a slope full of gapers. For a while I was on the bike path and even passed a couple of lollygagging bikers. It was great until while I was making a bunch of high-amplitude pumps I hit a patch of sand and got thrown. I was wearing a full set of pads, gloves and a helmet. A knee pad saved me from some serious road rash, and my upper body landed in a bunch of sand. I had a little sand in my shorts, but was uninjured. It seemed like I was the only person out there wearing any protective gear at all. Even in the skate park I don't think I saw a single helmet.

Not only do people not wear armor, but nobody pumps. I was out there for almost two hours in one of the most high-profile places to ride in the entire nation, surrounded by hundreds of people and dozens of longboarders and I never saw any other person pump a single turn.

Pumping is just like carving. The vast majority of people don't even understand what you are doing. It's like you just came from some other planet and are utterly incomprehensible.

It was a bad-ass day of hard pumping in a place that looked like a scene from Baywatch. It was great until I had to drive all the way across the entire L.A. metro area to get back to Palm Springs.

That sounds like you had a great time! I start in the South Bay at the Breakwall and run up to El Porto and back. I we the same sights and no one pumps... I only wear knee pads as my left knee(forward) is a pavement magnet when I fall. The sand will get you. But you do get a lot of looks/people are baffled by your self propulsion!

• 4 months later...
Daddies Board Shop is running a Spring promo on bushings and hardware thru April 30. 25% off and free shipping. Does this seem like a decent deal? I have a tough time finding a decent selection of pump-oriented bushings at any retail store. Time to start thinking about pumping.

Is that the same store as the one here in Portland, OR?

... Time to start thinking about pumping.

Yeah been driving into work thinking about pumping down paths. Looking forward to getting back on the board again in a few months.

I'll be contributing to this over the summer.

In reference to a few of my posts from last season.

Grennett - Thane got this back to me last season, and the pins don't move around anymore. For me this is definitely my favourite front truck. I ride it with a Tracker RTS in the rear.

Don't Trip Poppys. I really wanted to like these trucks, and they were super fast, however and this sounds strange the only times I got stopped by rocks were on these trucks. I can't really say why, except perhaps it has something to do with the RKP truck being unable to pivot out of e way when it hits a rock as fast as a TKP truck. I've loaned them to a friend to try out at for the beginning of next season. I also wasn't really getting the same surfy feel out of them that I get out of the Grennett/Tracker RTS combo.

I did take the rear poppy and dewedge it to zero degrees which gave me a very fast (top end) set-up, but in doing that I lost the surfy feel that I really enjoy, so eventually I went back to a dewedged Tracker RTS in the rear.

I think it would be interesting to have a few LDP boards. One set up surfy and another set up more wiggly for good top speed.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Stoked to get back out there. Missing the snow as taxes and the cost of trekking to Mammoth have me close to home. I'm moving back up to North Huntington mid summer so I'm looking forward to cruising the long and wide side walks like I used to. I like the strand but the sand can be a real bummer. I like the feeling of asphalt and sidewalk over the glassy smooth strand in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. Still rocking my drop down slant nose with bennet 5.0 and RTS rear.

Sooo... I've decided to dip my toe into the LDP world in search of an off-season carving fix.

I've been skating since 8, built the first skatepark in Tallahassee, FL (The Skate Mill), got this built (https://www.talgov.com/parks/parks-skatepark.aspx ), and regularly skate the Bloomington, IN skatepark. Usually in the early morning before it's over-run with kids.

I'm a skater from ye olde school, I feel for the kids ever since the small hard wheel kickflip period... they have no clue. I've got a larger Beer City deck with big venture trucks and big ABEC11s that I use to skate the park.

I've pumped ever since I can remember but never realized it was a thing unto itself.

I had an opportunity to visit The Ripple in Indianapolis a couple of days ago and picked up a Bennett front and a Tracker RTS rear, proper bushings and a wedge kit. I've done all the mods on that seminal pavedwave thread to the trucks. I first mounted them on my Beer City to get the feel of the differences.

20140408_214243.jpg

Fun but not LDP. So I mounted them on an old board I made for downhill back in the early nineties that's just been sitting up in the attic:

20140408_214254.jpg

Interesting but I miss that concave and tail kick but not bad for LDP on the B-Line trail... probably a bit too much wheelbase.

I've got a set of Lime reflex zips on the way but I'm interested in a board that might have some of the carving feel only BOL members would know.

So many options out there I'm looking to narrow it down a bit.

So any suggestions for a deck that can:

a) support my 111kg/245lbs

b) has some kind of kick tail

c) has LDP capability

d) has some carving feel

Thanks!

Edited by lonbordin
forgot a word...