Note to New Members ×

Canadian in Colorado

Tabatha

Last year I came for a friend's wedding, but it was too late in the year so the board was left at home ... but this year my plane lands in Grand Junction on March 29th and I will be heading into the Aspen area. I am not 100% sure where I will be riding, but a friend has a few Aspen passes that he needs to use up, so it will be in the Aspen area / family.

From reading what everyone says, I know I have to hit Buttermilk. Where else should I aim for? I think I will have about three or four days (Saturday - Tuesday inc.) but we are still finalizing our itinerary and are open to hitting different mountains on different days (especially based on advice and where you think it might be busy). He is a skier who lives in Grand Junction, so he has an idea as well, but as a powder-lover, we have slightly different needs when it comes to groom!

Also; anyone have a line on cheap tickets? Where can I purchase reasonably priced lift-passes at this time of year, or will hills be discounting by now?

Will try post where / when I think I might be out, if people want to join me.

If Powderhorn gets snow or if you go in the afternoon when the snow softens up during the warmer conditions It can be pretty good carving? Its only 45 minutes from GJ. Aspen is 2 hours but has more to choose from with 4 great mountains. If you go to Powderhorn the best carving runs are Bills, Maverick, red eye, and peacemaker (take midway below lift ). small area but great carving (up to six people carving some days). Today was a little sketchy in the morning due to the warmth but got better as it softened up. If you look at Powderhorn tomorrow thread you can see pics of some of the runs. Powderhorn shuts down march 31 and aspen stays open till April 21 st. It spring break for me starting this Friday for sun and fun? Aloha from Maui!

I agree with Corey, Snowmass is huge and offers a variety of runs. I loved the Big Burn area at Snowmass.

Buttermilk is not as big but the mountain seems always empty, I loved to carve there knowing there is no skiers in my back.

The runs going to Tie Hawk chairlift are great.

Have a great trip Tabatha !

Looks like Snowmass and Buttermilk are my destinations! Very excited, just got a fresh tune on the Donek so it should be ready to rip. Hope I hold up with the altitude. Current aim is now only two days :( Sunday and Monday

The up-side is that I hear mountain biking should be OK that week, so I will be in the Furita area later in the week on a bike. Poor me! :p

Really they are all good. Your skier friend will probably be bored stiff at Buttermilk though - it is pretty much nothing but green/blue groomers. We had a great day at Aspen Highlands this year at SES, loved it. Snowmass is huge and lots of variety. If your skier friend likes the steeps Aspen Mountain AKA Ajax is the best.

My skier friend lives in Colorado so is going to be bored no mater where we go unless it is big back country POW. Non-carvers don't necessarily know what would or would not work for me; which is why I am turning to everyone here. I am still hearing Snowmass at least once; maybe I will hit it both days then. Lets just assume I am at Snowmass next Sunday and I will go from there.

Thanks everyone - only a week. Very excited, especially since I am not sure winter will last another week here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's tips - Snowmass was AMAZING. We did it both days. Spent most of my time in the Big Burn and Elk Camp areas, but did a little exploring - including a stupid mogul field.

You are all so lucky to ride here regularly. Wow. I will be back next year - will try and make it to SES now.

Thanks for everyone's tips - Snowmass was AMAZING. We did it both days. Spent most of my time in the Big Burn and Elk Camp areas, but did a little exploring - including a stupid mogul field.

You are all so lucky to ride here regularly. Wow. I will be back next year - will try and make it to SES now.

Glad you had a good time. I love those bumps under the Big Burn chair! Hope to see you at SES sometime.