Note to New Members ×

FRS radio recommendations?

Dan

Can anyone recommend an FRS radio? I've been mooching off my roomie's set for long enough. Oh - I'd probably prefer to buy a pair, but if you know of something good that comes as a single unit, I'd look at that too.

Garmin Rhino 120 or 130.

FRS 2 mile radio + GMRS 5 mile radio + GPS

I have their middle one the 120, where it has a mapping GPS, but only 8Mb of internal memory, which has been enough for me so far. MSRP $267

The 130 is identical except it has 24Mb of memory. MSRP $375

I do love my 120. 2 devices in one unit. Plus other users of the Rhino series will show up on your GPS map...

Dan, I'm looking for some too so I'm interested in this thread.

My only advice it listen to several before you buy them. Some have horrible receive audio. What sounds good in a quiet room might be unusable on the slopes when the volume is turned up.

I have two kinds of Motorolas, an older set (red cases) and a newer set in black cases, more features (vibrator, etc). They both have really distorted receive audio, and the newer ones receivers don't "come to life" until after the first few words from the other person, I think it's a battery saving thing. It really sucks. I don't think I'll ever buy a Motorola again unless I listen to it before I buy it. I think the speakers are too small, or something.

Make sure whatever you get has "privacy codes". Some older bargain radios don't have them.

Originally posted by Dan

Can anyone recommend an FRS radio? I've been mooching off my roomie's set for long enough. Oh - I'd probably prefer to buy a pair, but if you know of something good that comes as a single unit, I'd look at that too.

Go to Walmart and by a cheap Audiovox or Uniden pair. Make sure it has channel codes (Audiovox des not brag about that anymore, but they usually have that feature).

We bought Audiovox FRS/GMRS pair for $30 for ECES last season. It actually had the same features as most Motorolas, was slicker (without bulky antenna or that clumsy knob of Motorolas), and it had 5 mile range (GMRS as FRS is limited to 2 miles I believe). For $50 you were able to buy a pair with 10 miles range.

Many of them can run on regular or rechargable batteries. Motorola seem to prefer their special version for rechargable.

Years ago I was fascinated by Motorola FRS. I am glad I did not overpay this time...

Get this:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=1752457&langId=-1

or this:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12954&langId=-1

and you should be set.

What about this? ;)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3064360&cat=4511&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A178120%3A4511

I have bad luck with Nicads, they seem to fail at the worst times, and if you charge them and leave them for a week, they seem to discharge a lot just sitting around.

Alkaline AA batteries are a lot more reliable than Nicads, but expensive to keep buying.

A good alternative is to get cheaper radios that take AA Alkaline batteries instead of Nicads, and use AA-size NiMH rechargable batteries and a generic charger. They seem to last longer and have more capacity than Nicads. Plus if you keep an extra set of Alkalines handy, you won't be stuck with no batteries if the rechargable ones die.