Note to New Members ×

Donek REV

bigwavedave

I demo'ed several boards at SES, mostly in the Donek and Coiler fleet and kept going back to that blue Donek REV 180 (also the black Nirvana). I rode the REV back to back with my Kessler 180 on the last day. The REV was the most fun board I rode. I tried it with the AF plate and didn't like it as much because of the disconnect with the feel of the board. Was my first time on a plate.

The ride felt crisp, sharp, precise. Where the Nirvana felt buttery smooth in crud, the REV felt like a precision cutting tool slicing though crud, should be called the scalpel or razor (I know, there already is one). Quick and easy edge to edge almost as if anticipating your next move and once in a carve felt securely locked-in and accelerating, yet still quick to release into the next turn. Yup, felt like superman.

The Kessler 180 rode "longer", less willing to complete turns, and generally mellower, whereas the REV had me hollering and hanging on for the ride.

post-8510-141842389955_thumb.jpg

post-8510-141842389957_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

• 11 months later...

Just thought I'ld update this review after having a blast on this board yesterday. Rode for 7 hours with one coffee/cocoa break, despite the 20-30 below windchill. Snow was typical Minnesota firm, meaning "very", and a smooth groom that held up well all day with little traffic on the hill due to the temps.

The board arrived this past summer after it was done with the demo season. After my first few times out I decided I prefer my stance set 1/2" or 1cm forward of the reference stance (even more so on my 180 Kessler). I think the big race boards have more set-back/longer nose. It still feels like a scalpel, carves are deliciously smooth, secure, precise, crisp? I don't know, but something is different, a little more exciting than the Kessler ride. I think I'll have a 180 black-top Kessler for sale.

post-2809-0-59822600-1449362001_thumb.jp

I think a recreational version of a Rev (a Rec?), same construction and flex pattern, but with a narrow range scr to make it easier to complete turns and keep speed down on steeps, would make an ideal free carver, as long as it doesn't change the delicious feel of the Rev's carve.

Edited by bigwavedave

• 11 months later...

I think a recreational version of a Rev (a Rec?), same construction and flex pattern, but with a bit less taper (VSR) to make it easier to complete turns and keep your speed down on steeps, would make an ideal free carver, as long as it doesn't change the delicious feel of the Rev's carve.

...So, that's what I was thinking last year, and a few weeks ago I contacted Sean at Donek and ordered a 175cm REV with carbonium safari topsheet.  It deviates from the standard REV 175 specs by having a 20.5 waist, 11-12scr (11m nose-12m tail) and being stiffened for my weight ~185lbs.  Despite having an almost symmetrical sidecut it still has about 2cm of taper. The BigWaveRev!

Most (90%) of my ridding is on very firm groom and occasional ice, much like race course conditions, so this is why I wanted to start with raceboard construction and take advantage of all it's superb handling characteristics, and just tweak the sidecut to be more recreational. 

Two weeks later (the day after Christmas), I received the board, exactly when Sean said it would arrive. Visually, the most noticeable difference is the increased nose rocker/de-camber compared to the 2012-13 REV. 

post-2809-0-34899100-1420304204_thumb.jp

I've had 3 days on it so far, 2 on icy based groom, 1 on hero groom and then the late day crud.  This board has phenomenal edge hold on ice, even with my sloppy technique. All the superlatives I used in the above review to describe the feel of the carve of the 180, apply to this board--deliciously smooth, precise...etc. There seems to be just enough stiffness in the tail to give a bit of spring into the next turn if you want it.

post-2809-0-69488300-1449362728_thumb.jp

This is the the most fun board I've ever been on. It's such an exhilarating ride, I find myself hollering out going down the hill and end the run with a big smile on my face.  It's the perfect size and sidecut radius for our local hills and I think it's a great all-around size.

Maybe it's partly because the sidecut is deeper than typical race scr,  I can load the board when on edge and get some nice air between turns, or get a smooth, mellow transition by rolling the board over to the other edge. Really happy with this board. Already thinking of getting it a big brother, maybe a 180cm with a 12-14m scr.

01/10/15 update

Rode the 3 boards pictured below back to back today on packed powder groom over an icy base. The new (safari) REV was quite noticeably the most sure-footed of the 3 on ice.

post-2809-0-34287000-1420304145_thumb.jp

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Local ski hill opened last week. Took the REV 157 for the first ride of the season. I have been riding the same single side cut coiler titanal GS for about 10 years now. that BOard was my og to Board minus the powder days. The REV With its modern sidecut had been a blast.

The REV has the typical quiet ride quality of a titanal board. On the opening day, the slopes were just ice sheets with a cm  of dry sandy snow on top. The edges gripped on the ice is just like my 10 yr old coiler. The difference between both boards  was more apparent on day 2. Got to the slopes abit late. Typical early conditions and the slope was already torned up since i got there late in the day. The REV 157 ride was much more smoother on choppy snow. It didnt Bounce around. It just plowed through chopped snow like it was not even there. On the 3rd day, we got some Nice gripy hero snow. And both board were very similar.

The main difference i would sa, in comparisson to my old board are 2 folds. The REV rode a lot smoother in chopped up conditions (must be the lower nose). 2nd would be the modern sidecut. The sidecut i had was 7-11 m. And depending on how my weight is Distributed on the board, the board could make narrow turns and wider turns.  I dont need to Power bend the board to maniulte the turn shape.

Im not racing, just riding around. For pure freecarving, i would suggest another board that will make c shape turns. because this one does not. But for my way of riding, i Like it =)

• 2 months later...

Thanks again to BWD(Big Wave Dave)'s idea!!!  another +1 for REV/REC

Took delivered 11/2016:

REV construction
175 length
11 nose/13 tail side cut(seems like a good compromise between 11/12 BWD spec, Bomber Oxess XXR 10/13 spec)
20 cm waist
PTEX Top sheet
Build for 185lb

Didn't tried it at East Coast yet.
Rode it for 7 days straight at ATC 2017.  
Granted it was mostly hero snow condition:
Very damp but when push hard will launch you from turn to turn(in a control/fun way), incredible edge hold, telepathic turn size.
It doesn't feel like 175 in "narrow run" (by Aspen standard).
Sean/Donek knock this one out of park.

It enable me to graduate from "advance beginner" to intermediate rider :biggthump

Will update when I took to Sugarloaf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

TL;DR: REV/REC does well in both West Coast and East Coast.

North East coast test result(Sugarloaf):  
Race construction == incredible edge hold.
Race board with recreation/free carve side cut == happiness

Some photos from Day 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9QeNdRLtuU6Z3IyQmpMdndTS3M

We got "4 seasons in 4 day".
Day 1: Soft Spring Like, fun
Day 2: Hero Snow, fun x 3
Day 3: Wet/Rain but still fun
Day 4: temp plummeted...  ICY hard pack with death cookie mixed in but fun.  Must commit otherwise you get spank.  My toe side is getting better

A bit back, I got on TVR's Donek, using angles I had last used on Curt's MK, which is a lot shorter. Now, I haven't been using 'skinny' boards much these last 7-8 seasons, as my focus in riding was being at the pace my growing (now 10 yr. old) Twins were at as needed. So, my muscle memory, and then, years on a flat concrete machine-tool floor, had sucked some resilience outa my footwork... So, my first mid-mountain run was all I had to sort this Witch out; then onto the Nastar course, and try my luck. My previous run had been on my Tanker 182, but, with the forward lean lever (oops!) in walk mode. Alright, so, I knew it was slower than optimum, but, it's a 'pace'. After all, I'd only been on the Donek for a few minutes; easy comparison, right? Wow. No! The Donek, with me struggling to get it's arc figured, skidding, skipping, and being over-pressured, too...pulled in 3 seconds faster,or about +2 seconds off my best pace on the Tanker (different day, btw). My next run on the Donek gleaned another 1.7 second drop, and was cleaner, even if the course was tighter than it's natural arc (it's a 180 REV)).But by then, certain muscles were yelling about the abuse. Nonetheless, I came away impressed. I'd order either a deck a tad softer, and/or softer, and then relax a tad in racing it. I can guess that with a Plate on it that would let it 'punch' through' crud with ease, but I'd be afraid for my olden knees at that point. Nice, solid, carveable and easily fast board. Pretty much pick the sidecut and flex to suit, then go kill giants at will...

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

15 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I can guess that with a Plate on it that would let it 'punch' through' crud with ease, but I'd be afraid for my olden knees at that point. 

Actually a plate keeps a lot of stress off the knees.  Seriously, you'd be amazed.  Get the lightest one you can find and ride with it for a day.  Let me know how your knees feel at the end of that day.  I know... not for everyone... not for every condition.  

They should've marketed them as knee savers. :ph34r:

lonbordin, thanks, but no. I used the independent lift/pressure, and torsional twist that can be had from a board, to affect my turns in ways a Skier cannot. Likewise, I'm much more comfy bombing a hill on a Fibreflex or Hobieflex skateboard than on a Mike McGill pig deck. Guess I learned it on Larry Gordon's boards in the mid-70s (which would be my 'tween-early-teen years'), and put it to use on snowboards once you could actuate twist against the sidecut (Barfoot/Kidwell/Jack's/Storm, so '87 on?). Plates that're inter-connected above the board only confuse my feet, and, then, put me with only the three motion inputs we share with skiers; Flex by pressure, Rotation, Edging, but not Torsional Twist (which can be combined with any of the first 3 functions, unless you SKI). I prefer Independence, unless I'm riding on Tracker or Seismic trucks...

7 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Plates that're inter-connected above the board only confuse my feet,

The first round of plates were unduly stiff I'll grant you that...

Luckily there are plenty of choices today-

Example-

http://www.apexsnowboard.com/gecko-plate-free.html

Also plates like the Bomber 4mm lite or Donek's AF can be pedaled quite effectively.

Again nice conditions, good or better groom don't really need a plate, this is why we don't see them under most of our western brethren. 

You want to ride all day in any conditions your knees will really appreciate the plate.

(BTW- A friend and I opened the first indoor skatepark in Tallahassee back in the day so your skating references aren't lost on me... I spend most of my sk8 time now-a-days on my Sk8kings Blaster (Bennett front, Tracker rear, 75mm Abec 11 Big Zigs) This is probably best for another thread)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

My 8 year old 175 Safari REV has gotten new life in my quiver since mounting a Donek F plate. Brings the edge hold to another level and more importantly for me, absorbs knee rattling bumps without loss of board feel (like with an isolation plate). 

Though the F-plate was designed for use with a shorter (163-ish) slalom board, it's a perfect match for my 175 REV. Better than any other plate I tried on it. And the nearly radial, 11-12 progressive sidecut is still working for me. Wouldn't change it.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Donek F plate. Brings the edge hold to another level and more importantly for me, absorbs knee rattling bumps without loss of board feel

Someone wise once said,   Rev is Wow!   Rev + F Plate is OMG!   

Damn!   I hate it when I'm right!   :eplus2: 

Welcome to the faith Dave! 

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

your memory (I know you suffered a head injury) ....

Ha!  I stand corrected.   I know I had that Rev+F Plate discussion on the forum with somebody?  Must of been your evil twin brother!   But yes, since the collision my memory and riding (still) suck!  :smashfrea

I also sold my K168 + AF plate because My Rev 163 with a F Plate UPM is even more OMG!

I wish your Rev was UPM because if you are impressed with your 4x4 mount F plate You Got To Try A UPM Mount F Plate!!  You know I had Sean build a minty fresh  UPM mount F Plate this year for my new Angrry.  He says he's still got enough parts to create 1 more  UPM mount F Plate if needed. 

I tried the 4x4 mount F plate and the ride was good but the stack height is significantly higher than the UPM mount and just didn't feel as natural or as responsive as  the UPM mount imo.    Even Sean says there's a noticeable difference in ride/performance between the 4x4 mount and UPM mount F Plates! 

Happy Holidays Brother, I hope Santa is good to ya 🎉Stay safe out there!

• Like 1